Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pop quiz - leather or vinyl/leatherette/faux vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Pop quiz - leather or vinyl/leatherette/faux vinyl?

Hi all,

I have a question that I have been trying to find the answer to for quite a while now, but I haven't found any conclusive answer on the interwebz yet.
Opinions vary widely
Which parts of the standard "partial leather" 997 seats are actual leather, and which ones are vinyl?

I have added a picture to clarify:

- RED L: should be perforated leather?
- YELLOW V: should be vinyl?
- GREEN L/V?: no idea whether it is leather or vinyl?

The reason for asking is that the left side bolster of my driver's seat is creased/starting to crack, and so I have ordered Leatherique "Rejuvinator" and "Prestine Clean" to see if it does any good.
The Prestine Clean can be used on both real leather and vinyl, but the Rejuvinator oil should not be used on vinyl (as it will not be absorbed by the plastic).

Of course, without actually knowing which parts áre vinyl or leather, I have no idea where to use only Prestine Clean (vinyl) or both (leather).

If you could help me out that would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:57 PM
SimonSays
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have partial leather seats, so I'd be curious to know about this too. My guess is that the perforated centers are actually the faux leather pieces whereas the outside bolsters are real leather. I've seen other Porsches, namely GTS models, that have been advertised as having alcantara/leather seats, and those have always had alcantara centers with non-perforated leather bolsters. Likewise, newer factory fabric options seem to have the fabric inserts (like sportex or houndstooth) in the center with real leather on the side bolsters. I have no idea if Porsche follows a different layout with the standard partial leather seats. My intuition tells me no, but I'd love to get to the bottom of this!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Originally Posted by SimonSays
I also have partial leather seats, so I'd be curious to know about this too. My guess is that the perforated centers are actually the faux leather pieces whereas the outside bolsters are real leather. I've seen other Porsches, namely GTS models, that have been advertised as having alcantara/leather seats, and those have always had alcantara centers with non-perforated leather bolsters. Likewise, newer factory fabric options seem to have the fabric inserts (like sportex or houndstooth) in the center with real leather on the side bolsters. I have no idea if Porsche follows a different layout with the standard partial leather seats. My intuition tells me no, but I'd love to get to the bottom of this!
From what I understood so far, it is exactly the other way around
The perforated centre parts are real leather, since that is where the driver is in direct contact with the seat.
Real leather breathes better, is more pleasant to the touch, and sticks less.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:04 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

I thought they were 'partial leather' because the rear of the seat is hard plastic. And that everything that looks like leather is leather. no?
Old 03-15-2018, 03:40 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there a problem with putting cleaning / care products on any of those materials? When in doubt, historically I've just cleaned/conditioned whatever material it was with the leather care product. Doubt there would be an issue.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I thought they were 'partial leather' because the rear of the seat is hard plastic. And that everything that looks like leather is leather. no?
It is quite a conundrum, nobody seems to know how it is exactly...
Old 03-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Originally Posted by jeffleept
Is there a problem with putting cleaning / care products on any of those materials? When in doubt, historically I've just cleaned/conditioned whatever material it was with the leather care product. Doubt there would be an issue.
I read a post on an NSX forum, saying:

I contacted Leatherique and they advised to never put any conditioner or oils on "painted" leather and vinyl seats. Leatherique is made for leather that is dyed, can “breath,” and is not covered in a sealant such as urethane paint. The reason is that conditioner cannot get past the paint and soak into the leather. Therefore, the product just sits on top of the paint and collects dirt. The dirt then grinds into the paint and the paints quickly breaks down. The seats may look good for a short period of time since they are covered in oil, but they will begin to wear and collect dirt much quicker.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:16 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

So I jest looked at the parts diagram and no help. You can get the bottom and back insert in leather or leatherette.

You can get the back piece in leather, leatherette, or outer leatherette.

I guess its good if you cant tell. My car has the standard leather seats and I assume that all the parts are leather.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:33 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 87 Posts

If anyone has a copy of the original Order Guide for the 997, or archived screenshots of the configurator, those may detail what areas are changed by selecting "full leather" or "sport seats in smooth leather" and thereby help identify which parts of the standard seats were leatherette to begin with.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:34 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Originally Posted by quickxotica
If anyone has a copy of the original Order Guide for the 997, or archived screenshots of the configurator, those may detail what areas are changed by selecting "full leather" or "sport seats in smooth leather" and thereby help identify which parts of the standard seats were leatherette to begin with.
That sounds like a great idea, but I seem to have read that even in the original order guides/configurators Porsche was quite vague on where they used leatherette.

Which makes sense of course, because plastic seats in a P-car does not sound as good as "partial leather" seats
Old 03-16-2018, 11:01 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Zhaus, i actually tried leatherique on my 07 4S with the standard seats and to much dismay it didn't penetrate into the leather nor do anything for me. There is something odd about the 911 leather perhaps its treated with something or as you've noted has hybrid portions, but I've stayed with ether using sonus or zaino leather treatment on my 997. Leatherique works fabulous on BMW and VW leather but just doesn't do as well on the 911s.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:03 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

When you use Leatherique, you apply the rejuvenator, let it soak in and then wipe it off. If you get it on vinyl, there is no negative issue as long as you wipe it off when you wipe the rest of the seat off. The rejuvenator will not harm viny or coated leather in my experience—it just doesn’t do much on those surfaces.

The Prestine Clean (I wish they were as good at spelling as they are at cleaning leather) helps wipe off the excess oil. It’s great on leather but there are much better products for cleaning and treating vinyl.

On a a side note, vinyl does respond well to an occasional wipe down with oil. Vinyl contains components of crude oil and it dries out and cracks over time, just like leather. I knew a man who had a late sixties Lincoln Continental with acres of vinyl. It was all soft to the touch and looked and felt like it was brand new. His secret was that he applied baby oil to the vinyl, let the car sit in the sun and then wiped off the excess. This is exactly the way you use Leatherique rejuvenator. I have used his technique on my classic cars for years and have never had a piece of vinyl crack or fail since.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Thanks for the tips guys, but now I still need to figure out which parts are leather and which are leatherette (in order not to waste any leatherique rejuvinator on the faux leather) ;-)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:30 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Put a drop of water on the panels. If it absorbs it is leather. If it does not it is vinyl.

That's the theory anyway
Old 03-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Put a drop of water on the panels. If it absorbs it is leather. If it does not it is vinyl.

That's the theory anyway
That doesnt work on standard coated leather like porsche non"natural" leathers

Quick Reply: Pop quiz - leather or vinyl/leatherette/faux vinyl?