Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage Inconsistency on Carfax; worth doing PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:05 PM
nli10d
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage Inconsistency on Carfax; worth doing PPI?

So there is a 997 Turbo for sale that looks like it's below market price. I know you get what you pay for / if it's cheap it's for a reason, but I'm wondering if that is already reflected in what I'm seeing on carfax. The car looks like it was purchased from a Porsche dealer up in CT and then serviced primarily through the dealer. They also serviced the car both before and after the mileage discrepancy. I know once in a while people have had issues with the mileage reported on carfax and had to try to get it changed. It had 20,930 miles at a 30k service then it shows offered for sale with a higher mileage, but the next service at the same dealer only had 20 miles more reflected. So i'm not sure of the offered for sale mileage was an aberration. With that said, there was a gap of 2yrs, so something screwy is going on. I plan on calling Hoffman Porsche (who had been servicing it) to see if they can enlighten me on what the situation is, but I'm not sure if they can or will help me.

Is this a total stay away or is it worth it to pay for a PPI because the price seems to reflect the noise on carfax. Any help / opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2018, 09:13 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Did you ask the dealer about it? It's the same dealer doing the service 2 years apart. They must have something to say about only 20 miles in 2 years.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:41 PM
nli10d
Track Day

Yeah, I’m going to call the dealer tomorrow and I’ll see if they can help me out and pull up the service records.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:06 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Ask yourself if you want to be explaining it to the next guy.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:24 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Pass.....either fishy or a car that’s been basically sitting for 2+ years with who knows what hidden gems.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Probably a typo in CarFax or as reported to CarFax - should have been 29300
Old 03-13-2018, 01:14 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Probably a typo in CarFax or as reported to CarFax - should have been 29300
That would mean 3 errors in mileage reporting in a row......
Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 AM
nli10d
Track Day

Yeah I found my answers on another post...scam.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1056084-scam-dealership.html

Old 03-13-2018, 09:28 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scam. Just like this one:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/old-town-car-factory-pocatello?adjust_creative=bing&utm_campaign=yelp_feed&utm_medium=feed_v2 &utm_source=bing

They are using pictures lifted from a legit high end used car dealer outside of Atlanta. But Old Town Car Factory in Pocatello ID shut down about a year ago. I really wanted to start a purchase on an SUV as their price was about $5k below comparable.

Edit: This the real company Old Town Car Factory is lifting the images off of. The images are in the previous used car sales.

www.selectluxury.com

Never wire any funds unless there are eyes on the car.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:04 AM
gargamel647
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work at a dealer and this happens all the time. Someone at the dealership fat fingered the mileage and then on the next visit they entered it correctly. The person that entered it correctly would have known this (the computer alerts you) but never (or didn’t know how) went back and corrected the previous error. Very common. Car fax records that the mileage went backwards. It then gets reported to the dmv and the manufacturer. The manufacturer will sometimes cancel the warranty because of this. It is fixable but takes a little bit leg work.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

CarFax may correct this with the correct documentation. When I bought my 2000 M Roadster it showed a mileage discrepancy that seemed to be a fat finger issue. The car was priced right, and there were a lot of sharks in the water, so I took a leap of faith that the problem could/would be fixed, and I bought the car, beating out other suitors that were investigating the issue or were put off by it. A month later the CarFax was corrected. True mileage of 23k was documented.

That said, I had a dealer friend who is a paid CarFax subscriber make the case. CarFax knows who butters its bread.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Ask yourself if you want to be explaining it to the next guy.
Well stated.

This is more relevant than if I would accept something like that for myself. I might accept it under certain circumstances but I wouldn't want the hassle of selling it later. Assuming it wasn't a scam like in this case.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:49 PM
nli10d
Track Day

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Scam. Just like this one:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/old-town-ca...tm_source=bing

They are using pictures lifted from a legit high end used car dealer outside of Atlanta. But Old Town Car Factory in Pocatello ID shut down about a year ago. I really wanted to start a purchase on an SUV as their price was about $5k below comparable.

Edit: This the real company Old Town Car Factory is lifting the images off of. The images are in the previous used car sales.

www.selectluxury.com

Never wire any funds unless there are eyes on the car.
Yeah, I would have done a PPI and then would have arranged to wire the money after my shipping company was there for the pickup.

Quick Reply: Mileage Inconsistency on Carfax; worth doing PPI?