Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$30k 911 budget - what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:46 PM
spdracer35
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
I'm assuming you had your car shipped to you? How was that experience like and was it costly?
I should have done something like take the auto train, since I was traveling from Florida to Pennsylvania. But I ended up taking a one-way flight and drove home. I couldn't pass up an opportunity for a road trip.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:46 PM
soxforce
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a bit of an underwhelming experience this past weekend. Drove an ‘04 4S but it was tiptronic (was from a Porsche dealership). I have nothing to compare this to (except some higher end cars with dual clutches/paddles which is not fair). It was ‘sluggish’ maybe? I get it - not gonna be as quick shifting, perhaps I was trying too hard making that work. It pulled fine on the highway but the steering was very tight. For those who have driven multiple generations do you find a noticeable difference in 996 and 997? And what about the S? More power yes but is it noticeable in certain places more than others? I’m going to try and find a local 997 to test, but I was missing the manual. The automatic/tip will serve many purposes and maybe I just got a tougher one. [Also visited other used car lots and saw some real dogs. Such a nice car shame to see the condition a few were in]
Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by soxforce
Had a bit of an underwhelming experience this past weekend. Drove an ‘04 4S but it was tiptronic (was from a Porsche dealership). I have nothing to compare this to (except some higher end cars with dual clutches/paddles which is not fair). It was ‘sluggish’ maybe? I get it - not gonna be as quick shifting, perhaps I was trying too hard making that work. It pulled fine on the highway but the steering was very tight. For those who have driven multiple generations do you find a noticeable difference in 996 and 997? And what about the S? More power yes but is it noticeable in certain places more than others? I’m going to try and find a local 997 to test, but I was missing the manual. The automatic/tip will serve many purposes and maybe I just got a tougher one. [Also visited other used car lots and saw some real dogs. Such a nice car shame to see the condition a few were in]
The 996 4S doesn't have any more power than the base 996.2, about 315 horsepower. The 4S in the 996 series meant that you got the wide body and 4 wheel drive. Although the 996 4S is desirable for its looks, it is the slowest version of the 996 series due to the greatest weight. On top of that, the one you drove has the tiptronic automatic that adds another 120 pounds or so. The car you drove is about 500 pounds heaver than the narrow body coupe with the same horsepower.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:30 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I've had the pleasure of driving an 02' C2 6sp manual, 04' C4S tiptronic, 08' C4 tiptronic and 09' C2 6sp manual. Here are my following thoughts about each:

02' C2 6sp manual - Clutch doesn't feel too heavy, shifts nice and easy thru out the gears. Once you punch it on 1st gear, it revs fast and by the time you shift to 2nd, you'll reach 50-60mph. Ride is nice and soft.

04' C4S tiptronic - Drives just like a normal car on auto mode but when push the button to shift to manual mode, it becomes alive and has a nice pull! The car feels very planted on the ground, ride is quite soft and comfortable.

08' C4 tiptronic - On auto mode it feels a bit quicker than the 04' C4S, push the down shift button hit the throttle and you feel an amazing surge! Definitely feels faster than the previous 2 cars. Like the C4S it feels very planted to the ground (AWD), the ride is a bit more stiff than the C4S but the handling is awesome! Steering is very tight and direct.

09' C2 6sp manual - clutch feels a bit heavier than 02' C2, this car loves to rev and has great pick up just like the 08". In fact, I really couldn't tell much difference between this car and the 08' in terms of speed except this car feels it has a bit more torque. Ride and handling felt same as the 08'.

Conclusion - for the money to performance ratio, I think the 08' C4 wins the trophy. The 6sp manual and tiptronic both have its pros and cons but if I had to choose it would be the tiptronic. Simply because I live in a heavy traffic area and the fact you can just push the shift button at any give time for some spiritedly driving is quite awesome.

Last edited by Vincent713; 03-15-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,745 Likes on 4,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
The 996 4S doesn't have any more power than the base 996.2, about 315 horsepower. The 4S in the 996 series meant that you got the wide body and 4 wheel drive. Although the 996 4S is desirable for its looks, it is the slowest version of the 996 series due to the greatest weight. On top of that, the one you drove has the tiptronic automatic that adds another 120 pounds or so. The car you drove is about 500 pounds heaver than the narrow body coupe with the same horsepower.
In addition, except in a Turbo where the Tiptronic allows the car to stay in boost through the gear changes, it's a very slow transmission. So slow in fact, that a 996 S with the larger motor and the Tiptronic is actually slower than a 996 smaller engine base car with a 6-speed. Go drive some more, or better yet, find a forum member in your town that can take you for a ride or let you drive it, as an enthusiast's car will be better cared for and give you a better idea of what they should drive like.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:56 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure what you are accustomed to driving--that may have impacted your impression of the car. My "Tip" experience was quite different than yours. Back 4-5 years ago when my 996 search began I drove a '00 C2 Tiptronic and was surprised by how enthusiastically it revved and accelerated. It was a high mileage car with aero and priced at $18,000. I thought it was a bargain. I ended up passing on it and buying the 997 C2 MT that you see in my avatar (albeit for a lot more $$$).
Old 03-16-2018, 03:19 PM
pv355
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't pay a huge premium for low miles.
My only red flag would be recent over revs, bore scoring, metal in the oil, and zero documented maintenance history. Otherwise everything else is negotiable.
Like everyone else said. Be prepared for some sizeable prevent maintenance and/or repair bills, on top of things like rear tires every 15-20k miles.
​​​​​After 80-90k miles and 10 yrs, things like clutch, brake rotors, water pump, AOS, coils, etc will need to be replaced in the next 50k miles or so.

​​​​
Old 03-16-2018, 07:42 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Is this jeffm's car where he just did the Turbo front bumper conversion in the past few months or a different one?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1036600-any-recommendations-on-a-new-front-bumper-for-a-997-1-a.html

Wheels are the same, but if it was his, looks like he pulled off the TT rear decklid. If his, I wonder why he's selling it now.

That does look like a very nice car for the OP though, at the right price.
Yep, sold the car on Monday. I pulled some of the parts to add some additional funds for my next purchase. Overall, this had been a great car with absolutely zero issues. There was a carfax incident way back in 2007, but the work performed was flawless. Took a little less than what I wanted (only $1200 less than what I paid for it 2 years ago), but was tired of taking/returning all the txt, emails and calls.

It went to a good home and was sad to see it go. Next up is a 981 Cayman, so I’ll see you guys around!

Old 03-16-2018, 10:35 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pv355
I wouldn't pay a huge premium for low miles.
My only red flag would be recent over revs, bore scoring, metal in the oil, and zero documented maintenance history. Otherwise everything else is negotiable.
Like everyone else said. Be prepared for some sizeable prevent maintenance and/or repair bills, on top of things like rear tires every 15-20k miles.
​​​​​After 80-90k miles and 10 yrs, things like clutch, brake rotors, water pump, AOS, coils, etc will need to be replaced in the next 50k miles or so.​​​​
15-20K miles on a set of rears!? Not on my 997.1.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Scatterbrained
1st Gear

Default 30K search

Subscribing to this... I could’ve written the original post myself, just near Chicago, not the northeast... Also I’m not quite ready to pull the trigger.

Scatter’d
Old 03-23-2018, 10:17 PM
BoxCam
Intermediate

I'd opt for newer, lower mileage, Boxster S or Cayman S.

Quick Reply: $30k 911 budget - what do I need to know?