Sponsored by:

Crazy expensive Texas insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 11:33 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

o/p - but where did you move from?
If you were in Mitchell South Dakota, population 15,ooo+ and moving to Dallas, population 1,3oo,ooo+.
The rate would obviously be different? More people trying to cut you off and crash into you.
I would also assume there would be more insurance companies recouping from Harvey. I read there were 1/2 million auto claims.
5oo,ooo x @$20,000 = $10,000,000,000 of claims.
I have three cars at $200/month each in my city of 3m.
See what you rate does going from 500 deductible to 1000?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Insurance rates depend on a couple of factors: Zip code, age, type of car, driving history, FICO, claims, claims within a certain bracket and how well the insurance Co is doing in the stock market. Everybody needs to shop their policies annually, home and auto. If company A looses it in the stock market or has a big loss (Houston floods) the rest of the gang gets a price increase. If company B does well does OK in the stock market, had fewer claims on the type of car you own you will pay a lower premium. Of all my cars, the Ferrari is the most expensive........but cheapest to insure. Why? The biggest factor is most Fcar owners, drive them sparingly, carefully and wipe them down with a cotton diaper when finished before putting them in their Fort Knox rated garage. Thus lower claims as a whole. The modern Lamo market enjoys a higher premium over similar brands due to the bling crowd according to the wife (insurance professional).

Personally I wouldn't let $1000 annually dictate a 'want' purchase.... and its not definitely 'Crazy expensive'. The price increase is like $80/month.. Crazy expensive is mandatory insurance in brush/flood zones in CA and FL. Crazy is a .30/gallon fuel price hike and 20% registration hike to pay for a high speed rail project from Fresno to Bakersfield built by a senators husband that will be obsolete when completed.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:45 PM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Many insurance companies have low mileage / show car options that might be worth looking into. I've got our '09 C2S 911 classified as an 'exhibition auto' at an agreed upon value of $57,500 and net cost per year is about $420 for FULL coverage. Only exceptions is 1) 6000 mile limit per year and 2) no rental car coverage. Other than that it mirrors our daily driver policies.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:57 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,965 Likes on 2,937 Posts

Under most circumstances, vehicle and house insurance cost depends on how many vehicles, how many houses, driving record, if you've had claims, etc...

However cities in Florida and cities like Houston, New Orleans and other coastal cities have huge premiums no matter what.
Hurricanes, floods/etc have increased these cities insurance premiums beyond what I could have ever imagined.
We are thinking of buying condo or house in Jupiter Florida and here are some recent premiums I received for condo/house/vehicle:
- $450K condo: simple liability policy is $2600/yr.
- $800,000 home: homeowners policy $8000 yr + 10% of homes value($80K) deductible for any wind or water damage.
- $5000 cheapy car we would leave at residence: $1400/6 months premium for liability

Quick Reply: Crazy expensive Texas insurance?