Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How critical is PASM for HPDE tracking? Handling differences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 01:52 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How critical is PASM for HPDE tracking? Handling differences?

I'm still in the hunt for my 997.2 S and maybe a 991 S. (and yes, possibly GTS) I see a lot of cars with the sport chrono package but I don't see a lot that come with the PASM. How different is the handling on the 997.2 C2S that has the PASM or doesn't have PASM? Or PASM plus? I do plan on doing a few HPDE events per year and I have heard really good things about PASM. If the handling isn't that different the pool of 997.2 S's I can look at probably grows by 40-50%. But, I definitely don't want to be disappointed on the track so I can wait for a PASM equipped car if it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:30 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 319 Posts

All .2 Carrera S models came with either PASM or Sports PASM (a.k.a. SPASM). PASM was only optional on non-S .2 models.

Sports Chrono adds modes to PASM, stability/traction control, and PDK shifting behavior. It also adds the wart with the stopwatch and other related PCM modes.

The SC modes are Normal, Sport and Sport Plus. They provide increasing levels of stiffness, loosening of the stability/traction control reins, and with PDK you get more aggressive engine speeds in automatic mode, and faster shifting behavior.

If you have a .2 S without SC, it behaves like Normal mode all the time. You can of course turn PSM off to eliminate stability/traction control.

Personally I think it’s beneficial overall to have SC on a .2 S if you’re tracking. You’ll get (at a minimum) additional suspension damping stiffness, and other benefits with PDK. The only downside (for me) is the wart on the dashboard. But it’s not too egregious.

If you buy a .2 S without SC, the software (minus the wart) can be retrofitted - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 03-03-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:34 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

PS: As regards PASM vs. SPASM, see http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...s/the-hard-way

Karl.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:14 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Karl, thanks for the explanation that is really helpful. I was confused why some VIN ID checks seem to specifically call out PASM and others don't. I may be recalling this incorrectly and I have only been looking at the S or GTS 997.2's. I think this means there are a lot more 997.2 C2S's that will meet my needs since they all have PASM, and some have PASM sport suspension, and some with sport chrono package plus. I think!
Old 03-03-2018, 11:51 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 183 Posts

You can also add the Sport Software after the fact for about $1500 from the dealer. It;ll give you all the function without the useless Dash Wart.
Like mentioned earlier, All "S" cars and GTS cars come with PASM.

Then after awhile, you'll consider ditching PASM for Ohlins or K3's :-)
Old 03-04-2018, 02:00 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zoiks
...I think this means there are a lot more 997.2 C2S's that will meet my needs since they all have PASM, and some have PASM sport suspension, and some with sport chrono package plus...
My guess is that the majority will have SC, and ~¼ will have SPASM based on the following.

I bought my .2 S coupe in January 2017. In the preceding months, I'd compiled a list of 75 cars for sale (see attached PDF), and found:
  • 27 (36%) had manual transmissions
  • 48 (64%) had PDK, of which 43 (90%) have Sports-Chrono
  • 21 (28%) had Sports PASM (a.k.a. SPASM)
  • 13 (17%) had sports seats. 4 (5%) have LWBs, all were C4S cars
  • 21 (28%) had full leather interior

That was my sample from just a bit over 1 year ago. Just an FYI...

Karl.

PS: In the attached, if a color in the column "Int." has a "-F", that means full-leather...
Attached Images
Old 03-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,229 Likes on 3,970 Posts

Get one with PASM so you have the equipment in place to then add TPCs DSC for a fully active and tunable suspension. Its a game changer both for on street comfort and on track or curvy mountain road handling.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:04 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Then after awhile, you'll consider ditching PASM for Ohlins or K3's :-)
Which is a huge mistake. DSC gives you an active suspension that will wipe the floor with any passive setup. I don’t understand why people downgrade.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:33 AM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

PASM with DSC. Relatively inexpensive, 15 min install, great resell, ultimate possibilities...

Quick Reply: How critical is PASM for HPDE tracking? Handling differences?