997.2 Carrera Center muffler Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021 | 02:05 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by etom
So, are there fundamental differences between the Billy Boat crossover and the Sharkwerks crossover?

Here they are, SW left, BB right
Etom,
Are you asking for the fundamental difference between their designs vs ours?

Cheers, John

Old 02-26-2021 | 10:53 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Yes, that would be great to hear the differences between the three (most popular?) brands, at least from your perspective.The BB and SW look quite similar, but your FB takes a slightly different approach?
Old 02-27-2021 | 02:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Yes, that would be great to hear the differences between the three (most popular?) brands, at least from your perspective.The BB and SW look quite similar, but your FB takes a slightly different approach?
I'd call it a bit more than a "slightly" different approach with 180 degree turns of the pipes rather than just straight pipes. Like you though, I'd be interested to hear Fabspeed's perspective. Would be reasonable to think they chose the 180 degree pipe turn as opposed to straight pipes for a reason.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021 | 09:52 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 169K miles

I can see the SharkWerks pipe has the mounts that mate flatley to the muffler hanger bracket.... the BillyBoat does not appear to have this. Of course I am not sure it is a critical item but the SharkWerks pipe does have some extra welding and parts going on. I have the SharkWerks installed on my car and am very happy with it. FWIW.... Heck it is a tube.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-27-2021 | 09:58 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Are you asking for the fundamental difference between their designs vs ours?
Not endorsing or opposing FB’s claims, just forwarding a previous explanation they published here...

Karl.
The following users liked this post:
Fabspeed Motorsport (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021 | 11:28 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Not endorsing or opposing FB’s claims, just forwarding a previous explanation they published here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjo9MWSpuZA

Karl.
@etom

Karl and All,

Thank you for posting this video! It truly is the best demonstration of why we chose the X-Pipe rather than Cross-Overs.

We have experimented with both at length and found that you can achieve the best flow and results when using larger diameter X-Pipes. Our competitors followed the Stock design from Porsche for the Cross Pipes. Porsche chose this design because it is the most cost-effective design for production. Multiple prototypes of the era experimented with X-Pipes, but the consensus was that it is too time-consuming and expensive.

When designing ours, we realized that in order to truly improve the system, we had to go further than the abilities of Porsche's production line. Our Gains have been reflected time and time again through Dyno results.

Happy to answer any further questions!

Cheers, John
Old 03-01-2021 | 03:27 PM
MAdams4450
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
@etom

Karl and All,

Thank you for posting this video! It truly is the best demonstration of why we chose the X-Pipe rather than Cross-Overs.

We have experimented with both at length and found that you can achieve the best flow and results when using larger diameter X-Pipes. Our competitors followed the Stock design from Porsche for the Cross Pipes. Porsche chose this design because it is the most cost-effective design for production. Multiple prototypes of the era experimented with X-Pipes, but the consensus was that it is too time-consuming and expensive.

When designing ours, we realized that in order to truly improve the system, we had to go further than the abilities of Porsche's production line. Our Gains have been reflected time and time again through Dyno results.

Happy to answer any further questions!

Cheers, John
So are you saying that there is a performance increase on the dyno?
Old 03-01-2021 | 06:43 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MAdams4450
So are you saying that there is a performance increase on the dyno?
That is exactly what I'm saying, Just one of the many reasons why that system has over 15, 5-star reviews! Our Design gains over 17WHP and similar Torque.
Old 03-02-2021 | 02:07 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Can you (John at Fabspeed--or anyone for that matter) explain why the mixing of the two exhaust lines at the X-point is better than two separate lines, more or less straight out, like the other cross-over designs? What's the aerodynamics at work regarding mixing or not mixing, in terms of performance?
Old 03-02-2021 | 02:45 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Can you (John at Fabspeed--or anyone for that matter) explain why the mixing of the two exhaust lines at the X-point is better than two separate lines, more or less straight out, like the other cross-over designs? What's the aerodynamics at work regarding mixing or not mixing, in terms of performance?
Etom,

The video Karl posted for us, as well as my prior answer, already sheds light on the questions you're asking. X-Pipes are proven to flow better, The reason Porsche doesn't install them directly from the factory is that it is more expensive to produce in scale.

Besides the more free-flowing nature of the X-Pipe, The diameter of our system is much larger than that of our competitors which helps to add to the increased flow.

Happy to help you if you still have issues with our explanation, but I highly suggest you watch our video. --

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 03-02-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2021 | 07:08 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Okay, thanks John . . . . I think I get the scavenger effect, and how it can help to get get air though and out--and then of course there's getting air in, and that takes us into plenums (which seem to have a kind of uneven reputation) and, for example, FS's carbon fibre intake.

Now, with a 2011 C4S manual, if I do a bit of math and assume various claims are credible, the base 385 hp might be taken up to close to something like 430 (if the x-pipe gains about 15, the plenum about 15, and the intake about 15). Does this seem right—and a decent trouble-free route to take? is there something missing from the equation or evaluation of these mods, or the balancing of them?
Old 03-02-2021 | 08:19 PM
David Berry
Racer

That is ricer math you are doing.....
HP gains from each modification can’t just be added to another’s claimed HP increase. Maybe taken all together HP could be increased, but only the dyno can tell.
Old 03-02-2021 | 08:27 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

I'd love to help you with the sound of the Billy Boat but mine is combined with the Fister exhaust. However if you want to hear my exhaust post it here and I'll post a short video with sound.
Old 03-02-2021 | 10:40 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by David Berry
That is ricer math you are doing.....
HP gains from each modification can’t just be added to another’s claimed HP increase. Maybe taken all together HP could be increased, but only the dyno can tell.
LIke I hope I implied, what factors go into the accumulative effect of multiple mods, and which ones intersect or overlap with each other. This might be of interest, since the search for bolt-on hp is one of the leading themes on the list.
Old 03-04-2021 | 01:38 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Oh, I wonder if anyone has used or reviewed the TopGear Eurosport bypass, that comes in quite a lot lower most of the other bypasses, at $450?

Quick Reply: 997.2 Carrera Center muffler Bypass