3rd Brake Light Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 3rd Brake Light Warning

Good morning,

I just installed a "Back off XP" brake light module (tired of tailgaters...) - I selected the mode that makes the center brake light flash 5 times then stay steady on until you let off the brakes. it works wonders and definitely lets people behind you know you're stopping.

The only issue I've come across is it triggers my 3rd brake light warning. the warning comes on as soon as the pedal is pressed, but goes away once the light hits the steady on phase... is there a work-around for this? its not a huge deal but it is kind of annoying. - car is a 2007 997.1 C2

I've done searches here and Pelican and found basically nothing. I am also waiting for an email back from signal dynamics' (manufacturer of "back off") tech support. Any help in this area would be great!

thanks!

-Miles
Old 02-19-2018, 12:31 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

That is nice and cheap. Any reason you wouldn't want this on your upper middle brake light? Do I have a middle one on a c4s? I have never looked, just assumed.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:14 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

I did install it on my 3rd brake light. Hence the 3rd brake light warning. Just trying to figure out how to get rid of that lol
Old 02-19-2018, 01:46 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a flasher on my third brakelight last year to hopefully help prevent rear-enders in LA. Same thing occurred with the warning. This is what I used to make it go away- simple to install-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4UIJQW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-19-2018, 02:54 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Awesome! i think i'll give that a try. looks like one splices into the ground, the other onto the hot wire going to the brake lights. Where did you install it in the wiring chain? before the brake light module, or after it but before the light itself? (if that makes sense)

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 03:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

To warn tailgaters I turn on emergency flashers... And I do that early on when they approach.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:33 PM
mreloc
Pro

Originally Posted by Milo2361
Awesome! i think i'll give that a try. looks like one splices into the ground, the other onto the hot wire going to the brake lights. Where did you install it in the wiring chain? before the brake light module, or after it but before the light itself? (if that makes sense)

Thanks!
haha- I don't remember and I don't want to pull it out to check- but the instructions will be very clear and you should be all set!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
I installed a flasher on my third brakelight last year to hopefully help prevent rear-enders in LA. Same thing occurred with the warning. This is what I used to make it go away- simple to install-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4UIJQW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Those types of gold metal resistors get super hot - like burn your hand hot, and quickly. They have holes in opposing corners to be screwed to something metal that can act as the heat sink, or you can hang them in mid air, but if you put that resistor near any wiring, carpet, etc and hold your brake pedal down at a long stop light, you might create a situation that you're not happy about. Be very careful in finding a place for that to live when figuring out where to tap into the light wiring and install it.

There's nothing more distracting or eye irritating than sitting in traffic in the dark with a bunch of cars that have these flashing brake lights. I recall a year in the 80s or 90s when auto manufacturers started adding them and it was awful. The trend didn't last long, thank goodness. On a motorcycle with very limited rear section width and little protection in the event of a collision, it's an acceptable trade-off but on a car that already has 3 lights, seems unnecessary.

Last edited by Petza914; 02-20-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Milo2361
Good morning,

I just installed a "Back off XP" brake light module (tired of tailgaters...)

-Miles

If someone slams on the brakes in a panic, this device might be found liable ?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:43 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 911searcher
https://youtu.be/0lBhtHj-lKs

If someone slams on the brakes in a panic, this device might be found liable ?
"Liable" by whom?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
Those types of gold metal resistors get super hot - like burn your hand hot, and quickly. They have holes in opposing corners to be screwed to something metal that can act as the heat sink, or you can hang them in mid air, but if you put that resistor near any wiring, carpet, etc and hold your brake pedal down at a long stop light, you might create a situation that you're not happy about. Be very careful in finding a place for that to live when figuring out where to tap into the light wiring and install it.

There's nothing more distracting or eye irritating than sitting in traffic in the dark with a bunch of cars that have these flashing brake lights. I recall a year in the 80s or 90s when auto manufacturers started adding them and it was awful. The trend didn't last long, thank goodness. On a motorcycle with very limited rear section width and little protection in the event of a collision, it's an acceptable trade-off but on a car that already has 3 lights, seems unnecessary.
I've heard that as well. I currently have that back panel on the inside of the car taken out - lots of sheet metal square footage back there, along with a couple of what seem to be existing bolts i may be able to attach it to... I'm going to leave that panel off for a bit just to check temp of the resistor to see how hot it gets after some stop and go traffic. resistor should be here tomorrow, so i will install and update then in case anyone is wanting to do this as well.

911searcher, As far as being liable for a rear end? a flashing center-light should not hold the driver who got rear-ended accountable at all. 1) the regular brake lights are steady, 2) I've heard it often recommended you tap your brakes a few times when slowing down (to flash them) to warn the driver behind you that you're slowing down, and 3) this thing works - very well - at making people back off quickly... i actually really like it (minus the dash light for now)
Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 PM
mreloc
Pro

[QUOTE
There's nothing more distracting or eye irritating than sitting in traffic in the dark with a bunch of cars that have these flashing brake lights. I recall a year in the 80s or 90s when auto manufacturers started adding them and it was awful. The trend didn't last long, thank goodness. On a motorcycle with very limited rear section width and little protection in the event of a collision, it's an acceptable trade-off but on a car that already has 3 lights, seems unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

You obviously don't commute in LA everyday like I do, where virtually everyone is either smoking pot in their car or has their noses illegally buried in their phone while they manage the stop and go conditions with their peripheral vision only. I only hope I irritate them.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light Warning