Sponsored by:

997.2 Tire Sealing Kit Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 997.2 Tire Sealing Kit Replacement

I was at a Porsche dealer recently and asked a mechanic what my 2009 original-owner 911S with 40,000 miles might need (other than more driving.)

He mentioned that I should replace the tire sealing kit as old ones occasionally leak or burst.

I just called Sun Coast Porsche where I go for mats, wipers, etc. (no relation) and the parts rep said he had never heard of problems with old units, but Porsche recommended replacement every four years.

The cost was only $79 and I needed new front mats, so I ordered the unit. In the world of Porsche, $79. is a very low-cost investment.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with a old sealing kit leaking or not working properly?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Old 02-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A can of TPMS-safe green slime is something like $12 at any auto parts store. I don't know what's different about the one Porsche sells that makes it worth that many times more. None of these will help if you have anything more than a small tread puncture like from a nail.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:49 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

You may want to read this before you buy another goo bottle. I used mine, it was useless and i will never replace it. I am gooless.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-goo-bad.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-12-2018, 05:55 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
You may want to read this before you buy another goo bottle. I used mine, it was useless and i will never replace it. I am gooless.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-goo-bad.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
If you change your mind I have a spare you can have. Just to keep the voices at bay 😬
Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

1 - Porsche goo bottle was useless... it came out like water and ended up a big puddle on the highway... but made it easy to find the hole. If you are going to depend on this goo bottle, follow your manual and replace it every four years ($80 bottle from SunCoast). Mine was eight years old and the solvents must have separated out or something... useless... I would have towed if not for Smitty. (Edit: I originally noted the sealant replacement interval was two years, it is four - Thanx Jagman1)

2- Smittybilt plug kit!!!! Yes!!!! Following the source of my goo flood, I found the hole... it was actually quite large.... the Smitty reamer went right in almost without resistance ... oh oh .... I am thinking tow truck time.... The Smitty plugs were really large..... rammed that thing up the bungy.... voila!!! Really easy. Stupid easy. Had to roll the car inch by inch to get the hole to be just above the pavement and under the rear bumper... just enough to get my arm and hand in there to access the hole at about center of tire."
[BRUCE]

Bruce:

Thanks very much for the info on old sealer, I feel better about buying a new can. The dealers should have this on their service list.

There is one problem with the plugs, to fix a small hole in the tread of a tire you will keep on the car and drive at high speed, a plug will get you home but should not be a permanent fix. The tire must be removed, patched from the inside and rebalanced. Even then, many recommend you replace one or both tires (depending on tread of the damaged one) on that end of the car for high speed driving.

Patrick
Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I carry string plugs, glue and tool in all my cars.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsilnner
[BRUCE]

Bruce:

Thanks very much for the info on old sealer, I feel better about buying a new can. The dealers should have this on their service list.

There is one problem with the plugs, to fix a small hole in the tread of a tire you will keep on the car and drive at high speed, a plug will get you home but should not be a permanent fix. The tire must be removed, patched from the inside and rebalanced. Even then, many recommend you replace one or both tires (depending on tread of the damaged one) on that end of the car for high speed driving.

Patrick
I am not sure it was all liquidy because it was old. What does fresh stuff look like? Is it thicker? Anyone know? The tire guys at the tire shop said the pool I had in my tire was typical but that could be because no one replaced their cans. I know there was some thicker residue in the can so it must have separated a bit..... but, would a thicker, fresher goo inflated my tire? I don't think so.... plugs for me.... and it is faster and easier than that can O' goo.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: 997.2 Tire Sealing Kit Replacement