Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 c2s with blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:51 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Everyone has answered the main premise of my question. I am definitely not interested in getting rid of the car at such a low value. Once I confirm the actual issue with the car I will get it rebuilt and drive it for a long time to come. I never thought I would say this (and my wife definitely would not) but if it cost $25k or $30k, so be it. I want to be excited about the finished product. Thanks for all of the input.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:26 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by my first 911
Everyone has answered the main premise of my question. I am definitely not interested in getting rid of the car at such a low value. Once I confirm the actual issue with the car I will get it rebuilt and drive it for a long time to come. I never thought I would say this (and my wife definitely would not) but if it cost $25k or $30k, so be it. I want to be excited about the finished product. Thanks for all of the input.
I'm not sure how excited I would be with the finished product. Even the 4.0 builds I have seen do not add much power. $30k is a ton of money for a 300-350whp engine.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Get a used motor.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:55 AM
Epicben
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

talk to Jake and Jud at flat6innovations. I have a 4.0 build in progress and its less than 30k. The actual price depends on how much of the engine can be salvaged. They are the best and will explain everything. Worth the wait!
Old 02-15-2018, 11:14 AM
stunistu
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2008 with bad engine

I am interested in purchasing your car in as is condition. I attended Jake's class last Spring. I just finished taking my 2006 3.6 apart down to the crank. I did the Nickies cylinder process and upgraded to 3.8 JE pistons. Also installed the LN Solution. Heads redone by Len Hoffman. Replaced everything that can wear. Very pleased with the results. I should mention that the car was running fine at 75K. The bank 2 cylinders were .0005 out of round. I'm retired which helps plus my kid is a professional engine builder. I have a long block that I am currently rebuilding that would go in your car. I'm in Maine but I will travel with a trailer. Newbie to this forum. have been working on these cars since the early 70's.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:59 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Stunistu, I sent you a private message.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:33 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by stunistu
I am interested in purchasing your car in as is condition. I attended Jake's class last Spring. I just finished taking my 2006 3.6 apart down to the crank. I did the Nickies cylinder process and upgraded to 3.8 JE pistons. Also installed the LN Solution. Heads redone by Len Hoffman. Replaced everything that can wear. Very pleased with the results. I should mention that the car was running fine at 75K. The bank 2 cylinders were .0005 out of round. I'm retired which helps plus my kid is a professional engine builder. I have a long block that I am currently rebuilding that would go in your car. I'm in Maine but I will travel with a trailer. Newbie to this forum. have been working on these cars since the early 70's.
I think it is great that you can tear down your engine and rebuild it. I only wish I had the skills. May I ask what happen to the original engine?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:31 PM
stunistu
Rennlist Member

Hi Vince
The original engine did not have anything really wrong with it at 75K miles. The ovality issues were out of spec but the engine ran fine. I'm retired and I just wanted to do a complete teardown/rebuild. I did not want to be spooked by the IMS even though the 2006 to 2008 results have been good. I have a lift and lots of jacks, engine stand and so forth. I spent over $2k on tools with the Faultless wrist pin/circlip tool costing $1150. It also helps to have a son who built 944Turbo engines with Jon Milledge a while ago.
Stu
Old 02-18-2018, 07:32 AM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Vince, I would be interested to know how much money you spent on your rebuild. Did you do any upgrades?
Old 02-18-2018, 06:37 PM
stunistu
Rennlist Member

Stu here. I ended up spending about $15K on my rebuild. The upgrades were conversion from 3.6 to 3.8 with the Nickies liners and JE pistons and the LN Solution for the IMSB. I also did a new clutch but it didn't really need it. I just want mechanical perfection everytime I drive this car. I have the most fun rebuilding. I race sailboats instead of cars.

Quick Reply: 08 c2s with blown motor