PCM glitching

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 06:08 AM
systech
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Radiated Susceptibility

Greetings again from AUS.

I have another theory on this issue, which occurs occasionally on my MY2010 997.2. I believe it is due to coupling of magnetic fields from major power lines under the road (refer to MIL STD 461, Radiated Susceptibility, RS101).

The reason I suspect this is that it only occurs at the same geographic location near a major shopping centre. I suspect that the shielding of the PCM is not perfect and the magnetic field emanating from the power feeder cables to the shopping centre are coupled into the electronics and cause a system reboot.

Would be interested in any qualified views on my theory.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:28 PM
fLUNX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi to all

my 991 carrera gts 2015 started doing that rebooting to my pcm.
will check if only happen with phones paired.

any way to manual reboot?

thank you all from Portugal.

Flavio
Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 AM
LanaK
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mike cap

lowpue - pm your email address I can send you the info and docs, SB, etc that I sent to the OP to pursue the repair.
mike if you could forward me that same info I would appreciate it. Been getting the run around trying to get my PCM issues solved.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:23 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 341 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by LanaK

mike if you could forward me that same info I would appreciate it. Been getting the run around trying to get my PCM issues solved.

Send me an email to: Michael.capocefalo@gmail.com
I will forward the email that I sent Jason with all the attachments and my contact info
Old 07-18-2018, 07:53 PM
The Saint
Intermediate

Hello. My 2010 C4S is doing this now too. At first it would only happen occasionally, but the other day it happened 4 or 5 times during the course of about an hour. I like the car to be stock, but I really don't like the Bluetooth capabilities in the car anyway so I was thinking about going aftermarket. Pioneer AVIC 7200 or 8200 series, or comparable Kenwood. I want nav, Bluetooth audio and phone, DVD and backup camera. Can anyone weigh in on everything that I would need to order? Thank you.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 694 Likes on 419 Posts

Systec i think your issue is alien invasion from a far galaxy. Have you checked for objects in the sky or weird patterns in the scrub?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:38 AM
systech
Instructor

Default Reboot due to external EMI factors

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Systec i think your issue is alien invasion from a far galaxy. Have you checked for objects in the sky or weird patterns in the scrub?
Ha ha, maybe I am crazy... but as an electronic engineer with some experience in dealing with EMI/EMC issues in defence electronic systems, I don't know how else to explain the reboot always happening at the same location near high power underground power lines.

Interestingly, I had the same issue in my previous car (an E92 BMW 335i) at the same location and BMW cured the problem with a software update. Since my original post on this subject I have done some more research and discussed the issue with our local Porsche dealer. It turns out that depending on which version of PCM software you have an update to Versions 4.76 (for PCM software versions 4.XX) or to version 3.43 (for PCM versions 3.xx) will apparently resolve the problem. The software update is undertaken via a DVD installed in the DVD drive in the head unit and PIWIS is not required.

Our local dealer is prepared to do the update BUT has advised that on some 5% of occasions, the software update fails and bricks the PCM...a risk I'm not sure I'm prepared to take. Far easier to simply avoid the area where the problem occurs....
Old 07-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

not wanting to hijack this thread but since we are talking about weird PCM issue I have one also not discussed previously. My unit seems to turn the amp off or at least what I think is the amp. It has happened twice now where I stop for fuel and when I turn the car back on the radio does not have any volume and if you turn it up high it sorts just seem to play the bass thumping sound. the first time I just shut it off as we where close to home the second time we had just started a 150 mile trip. since I was using the nav part of the PCM I left it on and my wife used her phone for some sound but in the back ground I heard voices and when I turn the volume up the radio had returned to normal. also to further confuse things I think that the PCM is not the same one that came with the car as the XM radio ID is not the Id XM has for my Vin?
Old 07-20-2018, 02:00 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 694 Likes on 419 Posts

systech I agree. Those are roulette odds. Since you're EE kind of guy wonder if shielding wires or PCM would resolve? That's a challenge you should accept!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 AM
systech
Instructor

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
systech I agree. Those are roulette odds. Since you're EE kind of guy wonder if shielding wires or PCM would resolve? That's a challenge you should accept!
To be honest I have given some thought to what could be done, but to have any chance of success the complete PCM would need to be effectively encased in a faraday shield AND the interconnecting cables screened and fed into the PCM via RFI filter feed-through connectors. But then I worry that shielding the complete PCM would lead to heat issues!

So all in all, too hard !
Old 08-06-2018, 03:23 AM
lagodue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
A couple of weeks ago while listening to the radio the PCM screen would go black, the Porsche logo would then appear as if it had rebooted, and everything would be fine. It kept happening off and on but not consistently. This morning it happened twice. Is my PCM dying a slow death? Anyone know a fix for this? Would disconnecting the battery do any good? Any advice would be appreciated.
Just happened to me (2013 C2S) after I paired my android phone. PCM cycles on/off every 1.5 minutes. Absolutely infuriating!
Dealer tells me this is common problem where PCM will gag on phones with more than 200 contacts. I will get if reflashed/replaced under CPO next month.
2013 PCM technology not current to 2018 cell phone technology.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:51 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 997.1 with the first PCM and also I have stuck this number twice.
The PCM restarted and the volume was stuck and did not work properly, and then the PCM went back to normal.
Thoughts?
I thought it was because of the pin on power distribution of the battery.
It's frustrating

Quick Reply: PCM glitching