Purchase help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:07 PM
oslermarine
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Purchase help

Hi rennlisters,

So I have a deposit down on a 2009 C4S PDK launch edition. Going through the service records, the dealer did not do the PDK clutch fluid change or the AWD controller arm fluid change which was due at 6 year service and the picked it up last year having only done the oil change. How would you guys proceed with this deal? Request them to perform the two services or no deal? Thanks!
Old 02-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Sounds like the dealer trying to sell the car didn't do this, and the previous owner didn't either. If you love the car and it's spec'd exactly as you'd like, I'd think hard on it, go through the service records carefully and make sure nothing else was missed, get an extra thorough PPI, and have the dealer tend to any missing services.. and if all is well and it's "the one".. then perhaps still pick it up. Consider getting a warranty if you're into that sorta thing. I didn't. May kick myself later.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles? If the car still has the original seats and wheels and is in otherwise excellent shape, its a special car.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:31 PM
oslermarine
Instructor

29k miles, I'm driving to go see it this weekend but another member on here said it looked great and has original bucket seats. How much is the pdk fluid and AWD fluid change?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:52 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I looked into that same car. I saw it was for sale in KY and then WV and finally Ohio. It seemed odd and the nearest Porsche dealer was 60+ miles away so I bailed since it seemed difficult to get a Porsche dealer to check it out. You will have to let me know what you find. I spoke to them on the phone and they said the car was in great condition. I just thought it was odd it didn't sell in other states. If it turns out to be fine I'll be kicking myself!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:07 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,977 Likes on 2,053 Posts

Sent you a PM back, but the 6 year service with pdk flush is around $1200 from the dealer. That is what it cost when my car was CPO’d. Add the AWD service in and you might be close to $2000. If you like the car, go for it. Definitely see it in person but as someone that saw it the day it got unloaded from the trailer since I was interested, I can say it is a pretty clean car overall when I saw it back then. I just didn’t want the sport buckets and didn’t want to have to swap over seats. Also preferred a RWD car, so that was a deciding factor too.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:21 PM
oslermarine
Instructor

Originally Posted by zoiks
I looked into that same car. I saw it was for sale in KY and then WV and finally Ohio. It seemed odd and the nearest Porsche dealer was 60+ miles away so I bailed since it seemed difficult to get a Porsche dealer to check it out. You will have to let me know what you find. I spoke to them on the phone and they said the car was in great condition. I just thought it was odd it didn't sell in other states. If it turns out to be fine I'll be kicking myself!
Yea it seems like the dealer in WV didn't keep it for long and sold it to an Ohio dealer who subsequently got their inventory bought out by the current dealer. The car has been with the current dealer since October 2017 based on carfax.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:22 PM
oslermarine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Sent you a PM back, but the 6 year service with pdk flush is around $1200 from the dealer. That is what it cost when my car was CPO’d. Add the AWD service in and you might be close to $2000. If you like the car, go for it. Definitely see it in person but as someone that saw it the day it got unloaded from the trailer since I was interested, I can say it is a pretty clean car overall when I saw it back then. I just didn’t want the sport buckets and didn’t want to have to swap over seats. Also preferred a RWD car, so that was a deciding factor too.
Yea thank you for the PM, $2K immediately out of pocket makes my deal not as enticing. I'm going to see what the dealer says first and I'm going to get some quotes near me. Thank you guys for the help. I think the nearest Porsche dealer to them is Olmsted
Old 02-07-2018, 01:00 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

North Olmsted is where I get my car serviced. Great guys. I had the clutch/trans/AWD controller done there. I think it was only $1200 for it all.
Never bought a car at Jeff's but know people who have and they all seemed to have a good experience.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by oslermarine
Hi rennlisters,

So I have a deposit down on a 2009 C4S PDK launch edition. Going through the service records, the dealer did not do the PDK clutch fluid change or the AWD controller arm fluid change which was due at 6 year service and the picked it up last year having only done the oil change. How would you guys proceed with this deal? Request them to perform the two services or no deal? Thanks!
I had a car just like it. Loved everything about it but the PDK failed around 34,000 miles as I recall it and cost $14,000 to replace. Where I'm going with this is that if the car is under some kind of warranty or if you're considering buying an extended warranty, make sure that not having the PDK fluid change done on schedule won't give them a good excuse not to cover it if it fails. I don't need to tell you how skilled the warranty adjusters are at finding excuses for getting out of covering claims.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:48 AM
oslermarine
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I had a car just like it. Loved everything about it but the PDK failed around 34,000 miles as I recall it and cost $14,000 to replace. Where I'm going with this is that if the car is under some kind of warranty or if you're considering buying an extended warranty, make sure that not having the PDK fluid change done on schedule won't give them a good excuse not to cover it if it fails. I don't need to tell you how skilled the warranty adjusters are at finding excuses for getting out of covering claims.
Ouch, sounds like you had to go through hell. Looking back on the records the car only accumulated a few hundred miles since the intended 6 Year pdk and AWD service, so hopefully it didn't have a big impact. I definitely will be talking with fidelity.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:50 AM
oslermarine
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgjks6
North Olmsted is where I get my car serviced. Great guys. I had the clutch/trans/AWD controller done there. I think it was only $1200 for it all.
Never bought a car at Jeff's but know people who have and they all seemed to have a good experience.
That's a better price, yea the sales manager Michael sounds like he's trying to do the right thing so we will see what they come up with. I'm guessing they will do the two services in house.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:55 AM
oslermarine
Instructor

I'm also beginning to realize how few clean and reasonably priced C4S and GTS are out there. Best examples are asking 70-90k range
Old 02-07-2018, 07:45 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

PDK service seems best left to the dealer. You need a PIWIS.

Quick Reply: Purchase help