Sponsored by:

Slight scraping noise or rattle during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 PM
BoatBoy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight scraping noise or rattle during acceleration

I just noticed this this morning when I accelerate I hear a slight very faint scraping noise or metallic grinding noise almost as if something is dragging on the ground. I only can hear it during normal in city driving. When I have the sports exhaust on it completely goes away. Not sure if I should be worried or not. If I posting in the wrong forum please let me know. I have a 07 Targa around 72k miles. Maybe I’m over reacting but I’m afraid of it leading to something bad. Car runs fine and is mechanically sound it’s just that little noise that worries me.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,598 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Originally Posted by BoatBoy
I just noticed this this morning when I accelerate I hear a slight very faint scraping noise or metallic grinding noise almost as if something is dragging on the ground. I can hear it during normal in city driving. When I have the sports exhaust on it completely goes away. Not sure if I should be worried or not. If I posting in the wrong forum please let me know. I have a 07 Targa around 72k miles. Maybe I’m over reacting but I’m afraid of it leading to something bad. Car runs fine and is mechanically sound it’s just that little noise that worries me.
A couple ideas:
1. can you hear it when you're rolling, like in neutral or with the clutch in and coasting, or only when accelerating
2. If you open the engine lid while idling, do you hear a similar sound. Could be a worn pulley or bearing.
3. If you gave one of those infrared thermometers, after a drive, shoot the rotors and see if one is a noticeably higher temperature which would mean you might have a sticking caliper and you can hear the pads dragging a little
4. Might have a pebble stuck somewhere that's scraping a rotor. It will eventually wear down and fall out
Old 01-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Mike5070
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a similar "rubbing" noise, it only occurs under throttle, not while coasting or idling. My Indy thinks it's the rear axle shaft (lack of lube). Axle shafts I'm told are not serviceable. Guess it happens but I'm told it's rare. Car has 52k KMs on it.

Will address it in the spring and may get a second opinion. The part is $1200 cdn with a couple hours labor.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:26 AM
BoatBoy
AutoX

Originally Posted by Petza914
A couple ideas:
1. can you hear it when you're rolling, like in neutral or with the clutch in and coasting, or only when accelerating
2. If you open the engine lid while idling, do you hear a similar sound. Could be a worn pulley or bearing.
3. If you gave one of those infrared thermometers, after a drive, shoot the rotors and see if one is a noticeably higher temperature which would mean you might have a sticking caliper and you can hear the pads dragging a little
4. Might have a pebble stuck somewhere that's scraping a rotor. It will eventually wear down and fall out
I checked with my mechanic he said it could be a pebble or a a heat shield probably rattle. It only happens during acceleration and it’s very faint too kinda hard to hear it. I don’t even know how I event found it to begin with. It doesn’t happen when I’m idle or when I put it in park and start revving only moving so it makes me think it really is a pebble or something
Old 01-30-2018, 11:28 AM
BoatBoy
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mike5070
I have a similar "rubbing" noise, it only occurs under throttle, not while coasting or idling. My Indy thinks it's the rear axle shaft (lack of lube). Axle shafts I'm told are not serviceable. Guess it happens but I'm told it's rare. Car has 52k KMs on it.

Will address it in the spring and may get a second opinion. The part is $1200 cdn with a couple hours labor.
Sounds similar to my little issue. I might want to take it back and see if it’s actually the axle shafts which I’m hoping it isn’t. My car has 72k miles so I’m afraid of the worst you know?
Old 07-08-2023, 04:09 PM
racebannon
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did anyone figure it out? I had this only occurring just as I approached 3k RPM for about 0.5 seconds. Took it to the shop, they said it was the exhaust tips rattling (car has Soul Performance tips) and they bent a piece of it down and it stopped for a while. They said if it came back, swap back for the OEM exhaust tips. Now it’s back, and occurs at various RPMs, for 0.5-1s. Wondering if it could be something else…

2010 C2S 6MT

Quick Reply: Slight scraping noise or rattle during acceleration