Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 steering wheel adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:06 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 997.2 steering wheel adjustments?

I've been looking at buying a 997.2. I looked at a 2012 C4 GTS today. I'm a tall guy and when I sat in the seat I tried adjusting the steering wheel since my right knee would just barely hit the steering wheel when activating the brake pedal. I could more the steering up and down but not in and out. Does a 2012 6 speed manual, C4 GTS have a telescoping adjustment? Did I somehow miss making this happen? The owner didn't seem to know for sure but when I googled the manual it appears to say there should be a telescoping adjustment. IF there is, how far will the steering wheel move away from the dash? If it moves out at least 2 inches I don't think my knee will hit.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:03 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I found this on the Porsche imanual. This may be the answer to your question. It's down towards the bottom of the page.
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...eel-Adjustment
Old 01-28-2018, 01:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by zoiks
I've been looking at buying a 997.2. I looked at a 2012 C4 GTS today. I'm a tall guy and when I sat in the seat I tried adjusting the steering wheel since my right knee would just barely hit the steering wheel when activating the brake pedal. I could more the steering up and down but not in and out. Does a 2012 6 speed manual, C4 GTS have a telescoping adjustment? Did I somehow miss making this happen? The owner didn't seem to know for sure but when I googled the manual it appears to say there should be a telescoping adjustment. IF there is, how far will the steering wheel move away from the dash? If it moves out at least 2 inches I don't think my knee will hit.

Thanks!
Had to deal with this last week after having the car in the shop for an issue that required road testing by the tech. I'm 6'3" and he must have been a short guy since I felt the steering wheel was right in my face when I got in the car. Easy fix and I'll say the telescopic movement must be well past 2 inches.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:05 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure why we couldn't get the steering wheel to telescope but I'm hoping I now have plenty of room for my knee. He's checking it out...If you could post a picture with your steering wheel pulled all the way out that would help. I had the knee contact when my right foot was on the brake pedal. And I'm 6'2". Cheers...
Old 01-30-2018, 02:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by zoiks
Thanks for the information. I'm not sure why we couldn't get the steering wheel to telescope but I'm hoping I now have plenty of room for my knee. He's checking it out...If you could post a picture with your steering wheel pulled all the way out that would help. I had the knee contact when my right foot was on the brake pedal. And I'm 6'2". Cheers...
In case you still haven't gotten this straightened out, I measured the telescopic travel today on my car. Less than I thought at almost exactly 2" from full forward to full aft.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:40 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help. The owner did figure out that there is adjustment. As the owners manual stated the key had to be in the ignition and he had to really tug on it to get it to move. I guess he had never changed the setting so the adjustment was a little stiff at first. He also found a good 2 inches of movement. I'm glad to hear that since it means my knees won't hit the steering wheel. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 997.2 steering wheel adjustments?