Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:45 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Appraiser
There's always gonna be a compromise somewhere.

Are you still running factory width 235/265? I have 235/265/r18 Potenza S-04 on my car, I like them for the lower noise and comfort but they are only ok for fast stuff. In the rears; too much air and the contact patch isn't enough on power track out, not enough air and it flexes taking away some spring rate leading to vague transitions. They are missing some feedback and are mismatched to the factory non-sport suspension, and don't have that much bite but that's a compound issue not a diameter one. I had RE050's previously, they did have better bite on brakes and a little better hold in corners.

How do you like the pro-kit springs? I'm interested in the Pro-Kit package.

Biggest fault I find with factory 235/r18 front is the lack of turn-in feel. I've driven a 996 that had 19's with 245 front and it had a much crisper and direct turn-in feel off dead-center in the steering wheel and the butt of the pants, same experience with the 997 911C2S cars. ATSR, you notice any difference on turn-in with 18's vs 19's?
I'm running 235/40/18 on the fronts and 295/35/18 on the rears. When I first went from the OEM 19s to the 18s, I got Continental DW tires thinking that the Porsche N rating was just marketing BS. I was proven wrong as soon as I took my first turn at approx 40 mph. The turn-in sharpness was completely gone due to the side walls being way too soft. I needed twice as much steering input to get the same result as I was used to when running 19" PS2's. The Contis are so soft that they would flat spot after not driving the car for 2 days!

I recently went back to the PS2's and everything is back to normal. The turn-in is as sharp as it was when I had the 19's. It is unbelievable how much of a difference the tires make on these cars.

Regarding the Eibachs, it is one of the best mods I've done to my car. Coming from a non-PASM suspension, the ride improved substantially, the car handles better, and it looks a million times better. The oem suspension felt wooden when going over rough surfaces or bumps, the Eibachs ride smoothly AND handle better on every surface or condition. It still amazes me how they were able to improve both ride and handling while making the car lower. Before the Eibachs I always thought that one was always detrimental to the other, but once again I was very happy to be proven wrong.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I concur the impact on running 18s on the street. I haven't had summer on the 18s to know for sure, but my Michelin PA2 tires are very aggressive Winter tires that could do 160 MPH without any issues and I think they're a much better choice for anyone driving mostly around a city, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Now, if you mostly drive highway, or use mostly for canyon runs and spirited weekend drives, 19s are probably best.

Quick Reply: Tires