Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these replica Fuchs unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:37 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought Starkes for my 12 C2S in August. I planned originally to use them for my winter wheels, but I am beginning to think about leaving them on for the summer as I have received many compliments. I held my Turbo 11"s in reserve so I have a nice wheel to go back to if I want. I have had no problem with the Starkes from TireRack. They were balanced and ready to go right off the truck. Of course I would love to have the Fuchs but.....for now, most folks around here wouldn't know the difference (including me). Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:33 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 975 Likes on 488 Posts

If you want a Fuchs inspired wheel and not have to worry for a single minute if your wheels are durable enough for your style of driving then you should turn your attention to Rotiform.

Their FUC model seen below are forged from T6 aerospace-grade aluminum. They are custom so they can me made in your desired finish, diameter, width, and offset.

You can PM or email me to learn more David@WheelsBoutique.com

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 01-17-2018, 10:06 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 475 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

\

As with all things, you get what you pay for.

Forged wheels--the authentic Otto Fuchs wheels (which happen to be made for the 997 cars now, too) are more expensive to produce--by a long short. They are forged which makes them able to shed a lot of the necessary thickness typical castings require just to keep from breaking. Forged wheels have a tendency to BEND instead of break, and pressure castings are somewhere in the middle. Castings break much more easily. What is the most common negative factor is the growth in weight to accomplish the same thing that Otto Fuchs does with his forgings. The investment in forging equipment is many times higher than castings. As soon as Porsche introduces a new wheel design any guy in China can borrow one and put it inside a sand mold and collect enough aluminum to cast a wheel. Without good pressure castings, cast wheels feature a lot of porosity, which makes a couple of things happen--(1) the wheel has trouble holding air, and (2) the wheel cannot be finished like a true forged wheel can--high polish, or an anodized aluminum look for which Fuchs are famous.

I have shaved easily 5 pounds off each rear side with authentic Otto Fuchs wheels for the 997. Porsche has been steadily getting away from weight savings and moved more to styling, and providing a variety of wheel designs for their customers. They noted that many aftermarket wheel dealers were never asked about weight savings--more interest was for the 'look' than weight. Of could, there are customers that recognize the added benefit of weight savings and seek out the lightest wheels that are available. Those, coupled with PCCBs, producce the lightest un-sprung weight capability of these more modern Porsches. But all of that comes at a price, to improve handling.

Ask for TÜV or DOT safety certification on wheels of which you are suspect.

Dan, that's one beautiful picture and car!

Tom
Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 PM
saintv90
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my eye on the stark's as well. For the money I think they look great!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:21 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Often times you do not get what you pay for. Of $7,000 Porsche forged wheels on my car and guess what... they weigh about the same as any flow forged or even cast wheel out there.

Nowadays there are forged wheel manufacturers that are popping up overnight literally and they seem to have no long-term reputation and many of them I do not even see meeting any type of quality standards as far as certifications are concerned. Remember when HRE were the wheels to have and it's not uncommon to see track related failures of those Wheels.
I really like the phrase "you get what you pay for", but you're definitely right. You certainly aren't going to get more than what you paid for though.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:23 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

SKIP all eBay crap, buy reputable brand wheels, or at least buy from a reputable retailer like TireRack...

Quick Reply: Are these replica Fuchs unsafe?