Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Clutch Lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:21 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

At 109K on my clutch. It is a daily driver and I autocross the car.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Just try to do an heel toeing..... and let us know how it works out for your ankle and knee.
There are kits available that will align the pedals to make it a lot easier.

Yves
I've found it to be very easy to heal-toe. What are you doing to hurt your ankle and knee!?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
I've found it to be very easy to heal-toe. What are you doing to hurt your ankle and knee!?
Obviously, I must not be the only one who has troubles heel-toeing with a 997.1, since Rennline developed a specific feature for the 997.1. Take a look at this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...gas-pedal.html

Yves
Old 01-12-2018, 01:56 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

That alittle different than your original suggestion that you need to rearrange the pedal box!
Old 01-13-2018, 01:32 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Wow. A lot of high mile clutches on here. I’m bummed mine crapped out so soon. I think SF roads and a steep driveway where I have to feather it in reverse so as not to scrape contributed. I rev match but also using engine braking on downshifts, typically at an off ramp. How much impact do you think this has?

I've got my appointment next Wednesday to replace the clutch. My Indy is letting me do the work myself. I figure I will do the prelim work and call the experts in to help with tranny drop and install. They’re just charging me for the time used. Amazingly nice of them. i told them I know they have a businesss to run so didn’t want to impose. They were fine with it.

Ive compiled Yves and the OPs instructions together in a 10pg checklist, cross referencing the workshop manual. I noticed they reference different size bolts in a few places.

Ill try to take a bunch of photos and share any tips I get along the way. Should be an adventure.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:16 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Quick update: I replaced my clutch today and the clutch disk and flywheel were fine. I likely had another 20-30k mikes left on the clutch disk and the flywheel should last another 50k miles. However one of the pressure plate fingers had cracked all the way through causing it to bend and the throwout bearing was worn. We replaced the clutch disk, bearing and pressure plate.

My theory is I had the clutch partially depressed when I hit a pothole last week and the jolt cracked a finger.

Cracked finger

Worn throwout bearing above, new bearing below.

Last edited by TheBruce; 01-18-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Quick update: I replaced my clutch today and the clutch disk and flywheel were fine. I likely had another 20-30k mikes left on the clutch disk and the flywheel should last another 50k miles. However one of the pressure plate finger had cracked all the way through causing it to bend and the throwout bearing was worn. We replaced the clutch disk, bearing and pressure plate.

My theory is I had the clutch partially depressed when I hit a pothole last week and the jolt cracked a finger.

Cracked finger

Worn throwout bearing
Intersting. I've read of a few pressure plate failures in these cars, same failure mode - broken fingers.

I suspect my throwout bearing is also shot. Car makes a horrible creaking sounds when releasing the clutch, I can hear it when the cars in the garage and its silent. Talked to my indy about it, but we don't want to crack it open until necessary. Did you have any noise with yours?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:28 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rampage
Intersting. I've read of a few pressure plate failures in these cars, same failure mode - broken fingers.

I suspect my throwout bearing is also shot. Car makes a horrible creaking sounds when releasing the clutch, I can hear it when the cars in the garage and its silent. Talked to my indy about it, but we don't want to crack it open until necessary. Did you have any noise with yours?
Yes I had the creaking noise as well however it only started last week when everything went to **** so I dont think it was at the throwout bearing. I think it was the broken finger. After seeing it up close I now understand why the clutch pedal feel changed so quickly - and so inconsistently.

I first had a minor vibration in the pedal but the feel of the pedal didn't change and the clutch wasn't slipping. That was the original crack. The next day the pedal got softer and the release point seemed to change. That was the crack getting larger and the finger starting to bend inward. Driving over this morning the release point changed again and was almost down at the floor. That was the finger totally giving way.

What I've learned is the typical symptom of a worn clutch disk is a high release point and slipping. If your pedal becomes very stiff its because you've tempered your pressure plate fingers doing burnouts. If you have a sizable vibration or your engine is throwing misfire codes its typically the dual mass flywheel.

In total I had three areas of failure: the broken finger, a worn throwout bearing, and a broken slave cylinder sleeve. The broken slave cylinder sleeve just transferred more of the vibration into the pedal. It must not have been broken long as the release arm wasn't scratched. We were able to clean it up and reuse it. I think the throwout bearing was likely the least of my problems. It probably would have been fine until the clutch disk wore out.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:14 AM
MGuns
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

@WC11- yes. IMSB and RMS just as insurance while I had the thing cracked open.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Yes I had the creaking noise as well however it only started last week when everything went to **** so I dont think it was at the throwout bearing. I think it was the broken finger. After seeing it up close I now understand why the clutch pedal feel changed so quickly - and so inconsistently.

I first had a minor vibration in the pedal but the feel of the pedal didn't change and the clutch wasn't slipping. That was the original crack. The next day the pedal got softer and the release point seemed to change. That was the crack getting larger and the finger starting to bend inward. Driving over this morning the release point changed again and was almost down at the floor. That was the finger totally giving way.

What I've learned is the typical symptom of a worn clutch disk is a high release point and slipping. If your pedal becomes very stiff its because you've tempered your pressure plate fingers doing burnouts. If you have a sizable vibration or your engine is throwing misfire codes its typically the dual mass flywheel.

In total I had three areas of failure: the broken finger, a worn throwout bearing, and a broken slave cylinder sleeve. The broken slave cylinder sleeve just transferred more of the vibration into the pedal. It must not have been broken long as the release arm wasn't scratched. We were able to clean it up and reuse it. I think the throwout bearing was likely the least of my problems. It probably would have been fine until the clutch disk wore out.
Thanks.

Saw your write up in the DIY thread, that's great that you had a local shop willing to do the work with you!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:13 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
My 2000 Boxtser S, I got 197K miles on the clutch when the engine blew and killed the car.. I don;t know how long that would have lasted; I was the original owner.
My 2009 C2S, I got 120K miles on the clutch but I purchased the car with 26K miles on it... so I am either embarrassed or I blame the original owner.... um, I blame the original owner.

Clutch life is all in rev matching (aka heel toeing). I do this all the time and is a source of pride.... it is part of the craft of driving.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Completely agree. With the same techniques I got over 200,000 miles on the original clutch of my daily driver BMW.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:45 AM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts

Just hit 98k miles on my 997.1 CS, clutch is starting to slip anytime I drive aggressively and shift over 5k.. I got the car with 92k miles so no idea on previous clutch history as I hadnt seen a clutch replacement service.
But to be fair when I did get it at 92k miles, it felt pretty strong with at least 20k miles left in it. As I have been driving it the last 8k miles (1 1/2 yrs ownership) its starting to get really tired. Im pretty sure its the original clutch so about 100k for a sports car, enthusiast owned... Ill take it lol.

Any one recommend a good weekend/street clutch replacement that isnt going to break the bank?
997.1 CS, bolt on modifications and not a daily driver (weekend/canyon runs). THanks
Old 05-16-2020, 11:53 AM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It was my pressure plate that failed first, leading to a whole new clutch assembly and accessories. Around 50k miles my pressure plate’s spring broke and I lost the ability to engage the clutch fully, burning it up a little as I limped off the road.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Clutch Lifespan