Rennlist Member

Received 2,634 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Maybe someday.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:21 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
At idle the oil temp slowly climbed to just below 225 when the water temp started rising above 176.

Kind of makes me wonder how hot it is at different locations at idle with one fan out. Didn't want to operate it further once I was sure both were steadily heading north.

Wonder if Porsche was actually smart enough to allow the water gauge to show elevated temps (even though its not an accurate number) when need be?
The water gauge is mostly an idiot light but it is my experience it does move when required. I was driving home last summer with the top down, outside ambient about 35 C and the AC on in slow traffic. the water temp light went off (1st time for me) so shut down the AC and the water temp slowly dropped back down once i got moving
Old 01-15-2018, 02:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

For your coolant (water/EGW) to go up like that is a bit concerning. I've only seen my water temp go up two times. Once,--when the serpentine belt failed and I was quickly nursing it home, and again, when it was about 117 degrees outside one afternoon in Las Vegas. Sadly, Porsche elected to dumb down the coolant temperature gauge to the point that it is essentially useless. No trending capability at all. It goes from 'ho hum' to "OMG!" in seconds. There is nothing in between. That is a significant disservice to normal people. I wish Porsche would (or maybe a clever IT guy) would rewrite the code that controls that.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
For your coolant (water/EGW) to go up like that is a bit concerning. I've only seen my water temp go up two times. Once,--when the serpentine belt failed and I was quickly nursing it home, and again, when it was about 117 degrees outside one afternoon in Las Vegas. Sadly, Porsche elected to dumb down the coolant temperature gauge to the point that it is essentially useless. No trending capability at all. It goes from 'ho hum' to "OMG!" in seconds. There is nothing in between. That is a significant disservice to normal people. I wish Porsche would (or maybe a clever IT guy) would rewrite the code that controls that.
I agree! I heard that PAG did that (dumb-down coolant gauge) to quiet customer cries overly worried about its readings (I guess in the 996 gen). Bad reaction, but that is true that there are lots of paranoid people misinterpreting gauges and shouting about it.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:12 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Update:

left it at my inde one day this week for diagnosis.

Could not activate either fan with computer diagnostics tool (Ipad); nor by turning on the A/C.

Diagnosed all the relays, etc and were functioning as they should.

Accesses the fans and nothing. Apply power directly to the fans and they work. Continue playing with everything and system is now working.

So now I may have an intermittent gremlin or not. I may try to reproduce the overheat next time I get home in the driveway. Doubt both fans had an intermittent issue. Perhaps it was the bitter cold we had last month.

Summer will definitely tell. At least it only cost me $300.

Maybe this has something to do with my sound sytem's silence when its below freezing outside.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:22 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The power to the radiator fans is supplied by a fan control unit in the front section of the passenger side front fender liner. The fan speeds are infinitely variable by this control unit. If anything in the system is likely to be intermittent I would suspect the control unit is most likely your problem.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:26 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Agreed. It checked out fine.
Interestingly - I learned that if one fan goes out it actually runs the other fan faster. maybe those p-car engineers know what they are doing after all. Ha.
Guess I could just replace it if the symptoms return.

Quick Reply: Overheat ?