Disable PSE but keep throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:07 PM
3pedals
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable PSE but keep throttle response

Hi all
I have a 2008 C2S with sport chrono and sports exhaust. I love the throttle response with the sport button on, but the exhaust is too loud for my taste (yeah heresy I know !) for daily driving duties. Is there a simple fix like unplugging a sensor or something that can be done so the PSE is disabled and doesn't come on when I turn the sport button on ?

Even better would be if there is away to just disable the PSE and have the car start with sport on automatically)
Old 01-08-2018, 10:12 PM
alvinl
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Sprint booster is what u r looking for.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:22 AM
3pedals
Track Day

I was hoping to keep the car stock and besides the sprint booster seems to have mixed reviews here
Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,729 Likes on 4,281 Posts

The flaps for the PSE are controlled by vacuum supplied by an electric vacuum actuator in the engine compartment and connected to your sport button. Unfortunately, the default position is sport mode and the exhaust flaps are moved to the quiet setting when vacuum is supplied, not the other way around, which is how many people achieve sport mode all the time just by disconnecting the electrical plug from the vacuum actuator. In your case though, you're trying to do the opposite.

I can think of 2 ways to achieve this.

1. You can buy an add-on remote vacuum system, controlled by a switch or fob remote. This one is probably what you're looking for as it will remember the always closed position you're looking for.
http://www.forzacomponenti.com/exhaust_controller_d.html
There may be other similar systems out there too. I actually tested this For a one for the developer and the only issue I revealed to him was the range of the remote to the control box, but that shouldn't matter in your case as you can go to the back of the car, select the mode you want, and it will remember it. The installation DIY I did for him is attached.
2. You could buy a set of non PSE mufflers a day swap them with yours. Used stock mufflers are pretty cheap as most people want more sound, not less so I'd bet for a couple hundred dollars you could pick up a pair here. I'd keep your PSE ones in case you decide to sell the car as that's a desirable feature. You can reuse your PSE tips on a non PSE muffler, hooking up the pipe to only one of the 2 outlets, but it looks a little funny and I'd probably find a non PSE tip to install with the standard mufflers, like NHP stainless ones from www.maxspeed-motorsports,compared - excellent build quality and about half the price of the more well known ones. I have them on my Cayenne Turbo S.
Check out this page - https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/store/c78/Porsche_997_Carrera_Exhaust_System_and_Parts_.html

Looks like they also sell a remote exhaust controller kit and a pushbutton option you could wire directly to your vacuum solenoid for full manual control. That's probably a more involved install since you need to get wiring from the drivers seat back into the engine bay, but us the least expensive solution from a parts perspective.

I am not affiliated with Forza or Max speed. Good luck.
Attached Files
Old 01-09-2018, 10:29 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2013 Corvette had a $60 add on remote that controlled the exhaust. It was super simple and plugged into fuse box. I'll bet someone sells that for Porsche's. Sorry I can't remember the manufacturer.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:57 PM
mblueracer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.carnewal.com/products/997...Manual-Control
5 minutes installation. Works as expected: you decide PSE valves always open/close with the remote (I hide the remote under PCM unit with velcro).
Old 01-09-2018, 02:04 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The flaps for the PSE are controlled by vacuum supplied by an electric vacuum actuator in the engine compartment and connected to your sport button. Unfortunately, the default position is sport mode and the exhaust flaps are moved to the quiet setting when vacuum is supplied, not the other way around, which is how many people achieve sport mode all the time just by disconnecting the electrical plug from the vacuum actuator. In your case though, you're trying to do the opposite.
If that's the case, you could disconnect electrical plug, and then use some bailing wire or something to tie the exhaust actuator in the "closed" position.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:09 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
If that's the case, you could disconnect electrical plug, and then use some bailing wire or something to tie the exhaust actuator in the "closed" position.
This. Or bypass the electronic valve that controls the vacuum line, and connect the vacuum source directly to the PSE straight through.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by semicycler
This. Or bypass the electronic valve that controls the vacuum line, and connect the vacuum source directly to the PSE straight through.
Semi,
This is a great idea. Let me build on that....Unplug the vacuum connector and find the tiny connector # printed on it. Buy a pigtail version of this same connector from here https://www.automotive-connectors.com/
another source, and plug that into your vacuum actuator instead. Then if you have a MT car, there is an extra connector in the back right corner that is for the Tiptronic transmission (I think), and it is a switched 12v source. Do the same connector identification and on that same website I linked you to, one of the search results will be for what connector mates to the connector # you entered. Buy this pigtail too.

Now when you properly connect the pigtail from the extra connector to the pigtail you attached to the vacuum solenoid, whenever you start the car, the vacuum solenoid will get 12v and pull the valves closed to quiet mode. And the wiring change here will be completely reversible just by disconnecting the two plugs and plugging the original back into the vacuum solenoid.

Here's the spare connector I'm talking about (back right corner of engine compartment, probably wire tied to the rest of the wiring bundle). I used mine to power the limit switch module of the Electric Spoiler rams for my RUF active aero wing (Erams from Rennkit).

spare connector with #

one is switched 12v + and the other side Ground

I used just the 12v wire to my Eram module then heat shrinked it for weather protection and to keep the connector together. Need to buy the mate and do it right.

Finished product

Took some digging, but since I needed to work this out for my own install, here's what I found.

The extra female connector is 357972752
- https://www.automotive-connectors.co...-assembly.html

and the male that mates to it is a 357972762 - https://www.automotive-connectors.co...connector.html

Last edited by Petza914; 01-09-2018 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Connector #s
Old 01-10-2018, 02:08 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pedals
Hi all
I have a 2008 C2S with sport chrono and sports exhaust. I love the throttle response with the sport button on, but the exhaust is too loud for my taste (yeah heresy I know !) for daily driving duties. Is there a simple fix like unplugging a sensor or something that can be done so the PSE is disabled and doesn't come on when I turn the sport button on ?

Even better would be if there is away to just disable the PSE and have the car start with sport on automatically)
Is it too much trouble when starting the engine, to push SC Sport on, PSE off, and PASM off?
Old 01-10-2018, 02:18 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
+1 that's exactly what I was going to suggest. Just disconnect the vacuum line going to the solenoid and plug it into the line going to the valve. You'd probably need a plastic coupler to join the two lines.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:07 AM
3pedals
Track Day

Originally Posted by ADias
Is it too much trouble when starting the engine, to push SC Sport on, PSE off, and PASM off?
I don’t have a PSE off button. I can independently control the suspension but sport on means PSE on
Old 01-10-2018, 07:11 AM
3pedals
Track Day

THANK YOU !! Petza, semi, all I will try the pigtail connector solution. Seems like the cleanest way to achieve this.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
In a .1, I don't think there's a separate PSE button, with the SC option installed, just the Sport button and the PASM button, but am not 100% sure since the one 997 I have with SC doesn't have PSE and the one with PSE doesn't have SC.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:23 PM
3pedals
Track Day

Originally Posted by Petza914
In a .1, I don't think there's a separate PSE button, with the SC option installed, just the Sport button and the PASM button, but am not 100% sure since the one 997 I have with SC doesn't have PSE and the one with PSE doesn't have SC.
yep you are right on. PSE can’t be turned off with sport on

Quick Reply: Disable PSE but keep throttle response