Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one DIY'ed PDK service at 120K ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:14 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any one DIY'ed PDK service at 120K ?

I am trying to find a thread about DIY PDK at 120K which requires removing PDK oil pan. Most of people on here (or from the search I conducted) just went to dealer or Indy to do it for them.
Not sure how difficult it is and if expensive tools are needed to do the job?

Any insights? I am at 115K miles right now and searching my options.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:59 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by [b
​​​​​​​[/b]​​​​​​​onsickm;14698035]I am trying to find a thread about DIY PDK at 120K which requires removing PDK oil pan. Most of people on here (or from the search I conducted) just went to dealer or Indy to do it for them.
Not sure how difficult it is and if expensive tools are needed to do the job?

Any insights? I am at 115K miles right now and searching my options.
​​​​​​​

it is possible to diy but a pita as you have to jack the car up on one side to determine and get the proper amount in. Otherwise you have to have a PIWIS
to put the pdk into fill mode to get the proper amount of fluid in. There has only been one guy who did it himself by jacking the car up.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:32 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
​​​​​​​

it is possible to diy but a pita as you have to jack the car up on one side to determine and get the proper amount in. Otherwise you have to have a PIWIS
to put the pdk into fill mode to get the proper amount of fluid in. There has only been one guy who did it himself by jacking the car up.
Do you have link for the person who did it? I want to evaluate the difficulty I will face if I do it myself. Dealers and Indy's are quoting me 1K+ for this job which I see too much for this kind of job.

​​​​​​​
Old 12-30-2017, 05:19 PM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onsickm
Do you have link for the person who did it? I want to evaluate the difficulty I will face if I do it myself. Dealers and Indy's are quoting me 1K+ for this job which I see too much for this kind of job.
I recently had it done by the dealer and the total cost including parts was about $1,100. Parts needed is oil and new pan. Filter is built into the pan and recommended you change, since this is a 6 year, or 60K maintenance item. Also oil spec’d for the PDK is expensive. Look up the parts and their cost to place into perspective. i.e - if you are planning to go this alone. You need to be very careful you top off and address transmission sequencing correctly. Reason for the need of PIWIS. Transmission needs to be sequenced properly to drain and refill with new oil. Also need other specialty tools to properly pump up into Tran. A few variables in the mix you need to make sure was done right.

Based on the cost of a PDK failure over time if not done right, from my read found it to risky. I personally do not have all the tools and instructions needed. No way to easily know done right and not a routine maintenance item with a lot of experience doing it at the Indy’s I use.

The couple of hundred dollars I would of saved on labor was not worth it for me on measuring what you will need to purchase (all-ln) to do it correctly on my own, or an Indy. An experienced mechanic that has done this before is the direction I took. Respect what ever direction you choose, but sharing my experience. My Indy has not done it before and decided to go to my local dealer to get it done and confirmed they had done several of these already.

The recommended service is every 6 years, or 60K miles. Based on the mileage I place on the car, I’m looking at this as a 6 year interval item. I have a 2011 C2S and just did the 6 year service and based on the mileage I drive per year, should last for another 6 years.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:08 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

I had the 60k mile PDK service done for less than $500, no oil pan replacement needed. Not all cars need the pan replaced. Search for posts by Wayne Smith on this.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:32 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Here is the link to a guy with a cayman who DIY'd it.
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...id-change.html

Many will say different things on here, but I personally watched the procedure at the P dealer. With mine they drained the oil thru the plug .....3.5 litres. No special tool required. Then refilled and then topped up using the piwis. You want to run thru the gears prior as per the specs, but then need the piwis to be able to top the pdk up when it is on a level surface. The above jacked the car up to get the req'd amount in as he did not have a piwis . ( not rocket science ) Some vehicles the pan plug can strip and will req a new pan. There is oil in the dual clutch and the cooler that you will not be able to remove hence the difference between the dry cap of 5.3 litres and what is done on a fluid swap of approx 3.5 litres.

I had this done for under 400 Canadian $. You should not get charged for more than 4 litres of oil.
Pan with integrated filter will cost you more, but it looks like the filter is just a piece of white scotch bright that doesnt get plugged up from the posts I have seen. Was yours done at the 60 k mark , or is this the first time? I would look at the oil coming out and how dirty it is beforedeciding to replace the pan. But that just my common .02
Old 12-31-2017, 11:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

At 120k miles not only PDK clutch oil but also transmission oil... I actually think that 120k miles for transmission oil is way too long.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:22 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011-sy-carreras

I recently had it done by the dealer and the total cost including parts was about $1,100. Parts needed is oil and new pan. Filter is built into the pan and recommended you change, since this is a 6 year, or 60K maintenance item. Also oil spec’d for the PDK is expensive. Look up the parts and their cost to place into perspective. i.e - if you are planning to go this alone. You need to be very careful you top off and address transmission sequencing correctly. Reason for the need of PIWIS. Transmission needs to be sequenced properly to drain and refill with new oil. Also need other specialty tools to properly pump up into Tran. A few variables in the mix you need to make sure was done right.

Based on the cost of a PDK failure over time if not done right, from my read found it to risky. I personally do not have all the tools and instructions needed. No way to easily know done right and not a routine maintenance item with a lot of experience doing it at the Indy’s I use.

The couple of hundred dollars I would of saved on labor was not worth it for me on measuring what you will need to purchase (all-ln) to do it correctly on my own, or an Indy. An experienced mechanic that has done this before is the direction I took. Respect what ever direction you choose, but sharing my experience. My Indy has not done it before and decided to go to my local dealer to get it done and confirmed they had done several of these already.

The recommended service is every 6 years, or 60K miles. Based on the mileage I place on the car, I’m looking at this as a 6 year interval item. I have a 2011 C2S and just did the 6 year service and based on the mileage I drive per year, should last for another 6 years.
I agree. This is obviously something that has to be done just right or bad things can happen. I'm approaching 60K miles and will pay the $1K or whatever it is at the dealership. Replacement is at least 10 times that if I screw something up and may not be covered by warranty if they discover it was a botched DIY job. Which I'm sure they would since I wouldn't have any documentation from the dealer..

Quick Reply: Any one DIY'ed PDK service at 120K ?