997 engine eebuild in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:49 AM
danym
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 engine eebuild in Europe

Hi All,
I'm new in the forum and I write from Italy.. :-)
I'm the owner of a wonderful 997 4S MKI bought 1 year ago....with around 82k miles on it....
and of course...it is starting to have his own troubles which could lead to an engine failure in not such a long time (low oil pressure mainly, but also another small issue).

Having said this (and also because I've the intention to keep this wonderful car for some years, enjoying it as much as I can) i decided to look around to a competent engine rebuilder in Europe.
I first looked in Italy, but nobody convinced me so much especially for what concerns the liners treatment: somebody is using cast iron, somebody else they cover with Nikasil (but just recoverage..that I'm not sure how much it is reliable to a original likasil cylinder).
I then read with enthusiasm all the story of Hartech, its way of working and its reference around UK: this convinced me that, at least from the ones I found so far, they're the best; of course, I'd go for the total review, including the six liners replacement with Nikasil Hartech liners (in this way the approach would become similar to a closed deck engine rather than open deck as it is originally), upgraded IMS, etc etc...
I found also flat6innovation and LN engineering, but I'm planning to send the entire car..so US is quite far away from me

What's your general opinion? You're for sure, in general, more expert than me: is Hartech the definitive choice in EU? Is there somebody else in your opinion on their same level working in other ways?

Thanks a lot to whom will help me on this troubles.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:24 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If I was in Europe, I'd go with Hartech. Also you'll have to get on the waiting list for LNE which can be for months!

Good luck, and post a picture or two fo your car.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:46 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Hartech seems to be the only one i have heard of cause he is on the board frequently

But shouldn't you find out what is exactly wrong with the car before you look for an engine rebuild? Seems a pretty expensive route ifs its not a major problem, no?
Old 12-27-2017, 05:19 PM
danym
AutoX

Well, there is actually a couple of reason why I’d go directly for a rebuild:
- low engine pressure
- head knocking a couple of times
- nobody is really able to tell me what is wrong. I tried to find more people. Now porsche dealer as well
ia saying that it could be a crank bearing

the one that convinced me more told me that it should be the ims, but as you probably know on the 4s 2006 it is inside ben engine, not adjustable without disassembly
not sure what it is true, but it is a choice: better to rebuild now spending around 13-14k euro, or wait / risk that is it blows up you spend even much more?
they are not long life engine... therefore I think it is worthwhile to open now and have a good work done.
other choice would be to change the 0-40 porsche oil to move to a 5-50 and see the engine reaction

but as said I’d go for the rebuild. Any other suggestion is anyhow welcome
Old 12-27-2017, 06:09 PM
318touring
Pro

I was using 5 - 50 Mobil1 for my 996.2

Call Hartech and have a chat with Baz.

You'd want to budget for other things (while you're in there) e.g. oil filler pipe, AOS, coolant reservoir, spark plugs etc. They quickly add up.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:29 PM
danym
AutoX

Thanks!
i had a hat and different mails with Grant already
i found him very prepared of course
the only reason why I'm
lookimg still around is the fact it is a pain to send there the car, but if I won’t find any suggestion I’ll do it
Old 12-27-2017, 06:42 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sell the car and move on

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2017, 07:39 PM
318touring
Pro

Just send them the engine, get your local garage to drop and prepare the engine for shipping.

Lots of people do that.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:49 AM
danym
AutoX

Originally Posted by extanker
sell the car and move on
Is there a real reason for this statement?
Not sure the quotation the in US, but assuming that I don't want to **** somebody else, I could sell for around 35K EURO, while a good one at the moment (meaning with around 60-70k km) are around 50K. If I look a MKII, it goes over 55K the first one, easily more than 60K.
Now, better to put 15 k in another MKI used or put them in a new engine? (assuming I don't want to spend 25K more for a used MKII)

Only reason why I'd sell the car would be if the engine prepared in the "Hartech style" would be not reliable...

Last edited by danym; 12-28-2017 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:52 AM
danym
AutoX

Thanks again,
well I thought (and still thinking ) about sending just the engine, but the costs difference it terms of shipment is around 1000 EURO.
Reason to ship the car is to minimize the risk at the rebuild time: If something goes wrong after the re assembly of the engine on the car, this would lead to unlimited discussion between Hartech and the installer...probably it is very very difficult, but I guess no impossible...

Last edited by danym; 12-28-2017 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:51 AM
318touring
Pro

Why don't you send the car to Hartech, then when it's finished, fly to the UK to pick it up, and drive it back to Italy?

Make it your spring road trip.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:54 AM
danym
AutoX

Originally Posted by 318touring
Why don't you send the car to Hartech, then when it's finished, fly to the UK to pick it up, and drive it back to Italy?

Make it your spring road trip.
yes, it is one good option...but for sure not the cheapest
Flight + 2 days around, boats and...especially....WIFE ...will make it much more expensive than 1200 EUR for the shipping
Anyhow yes, either in this way or the other...
Old 12-28-2017, 12:03 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

For what it's worth, in the UK I'd have paid more for a hartech rebuilt 997.1 or 996 than a stock engine. They are reputed to be very, very reliable.

I had a 997.2 so never had to work with them myself, but everyrone I knew who had was delighted.

Could try asking on 911uk.com - good forum

Good luck!

Matt
Old 12-28-2017, 12:05 PM
danym
AutoX

Originally Posted by SockToy
For what it's worth, in the UK I'd have paid more for a hartech rebuilt 997.1 or 996 than a stock engine. They are reputed to be very, very reliable.

I had a 997.2 so never had to work with them myself, but everyrone I knew who had was delighted.

Could try asking on 911uk.com - good forum

Good luck!

Matt
Great, thanks Matt!!
Old 12-28-2017, 05:46 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by danym
Is there a real reason for this statement?
Not sure the quotation the in US, but assuming that I don't want to **** somebody else, ...
Yes he's suggesting you dump the problem on someone else, which where i come from, is a douchebag move. Happy to see its not a move you are contemplating

Quick Reply: 997 engine eebuild in Europe