Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you buy an "all inclusive" monthly service plan from your local indy?
Yes
20.69%
No
79.31%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy an "all inclusive" service plan from your indy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 02:22 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Would you buy an "all inclusive" service plan from your indy?

Why dont more indy's offer "all inclusive" service plans in lieu of buying an extended warranty from a third party?

I've debated buying a extended warranty but the economics just don't make sense and the buying process sucks. Economics 101 teaches you the cost of insurance is driven up by the moral hazard it creates.

The exploding cost of healthcare in the US is the prime example. A fee-for-service model does nothing to encourage low-cost, high-value services, like preventive care. The Affordable Care Act is (was) trying to address this by flipping the model around with bundled payments and accountable care organizations. These programs provide fixed amount to healthcare provides for all the services a patient is expected to need, thereby incentivizing them to keep patients healthy and out of the ER.

Why haven't more indy's applied this model to their customer base?

The model is simple: You pay a fixed monthly fee that includes all the services your car is expected to need over a 2-3 year timeframe: oil changes, wear and tear, preventive maintenance, etc. Any major repairs you pay for parts but labor is free.

Your indy gets a consistent cash flow stream, which affords a higher quality of service, and is heavily incentivized to keep your car running healthy. In return the customer gets a consistent expense, peace of mind, and a more enjoyable ownership experience.

Lets say your indy could provide a service like this for roughly what collision insurance costs, would you buy it?

Last edited by TheBruce; 12-22-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:28 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds good, but what if you move? What if he closes? Just two things to think about, but I'm sure there may be more. RJ
Old 12-22-2017, 02:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Why dont more indy's offer "all inclusive" service plans in lieu of buying an extended warranty from a third party?

I've debated buying a extended warranty but the economics just don't make sense and the buying process sucks. Economics 101 teaches you the cost of insurance is driven up by the moral hazard it creates.

The exploding cost of healthcare in the US is the prime example. A fee-for-service model does nothing to encourage low-cost, but high-value services, like preventive care and patient education. The Affordable Care Act is (was) trying to address this by flipping the model around with bundled payments and accountable care organizations. These programs provide fixed amount to healthcare provides for all the services a patient is expected to need, thereby incentivizing them to keep patients healthy and out of the ER.

Why haven't more indy's applied this model to their customer base?

The model is simple: You pay a fixed monthly fee that includes all the services your car is expected to need over a 2-3 year timeframe: oil changes, wear and tear, preventive maintenance, etc. Any major repairs you pay for parts but labor is free.

Your indy gets a consistent cash flow stream, which affords a higher quality of service, and is heavily incentivized to keep your car running healthy. In return the customer gets a consistent expense, peace of mind, and a more enjoyable ownership experience.

Lets say your indy could provide a service like this for roughly what collision insurance costs, would you buy it?

You really believe in that model? There's no free lunch, not in car servicing or healthcare... The model you are referring to will drive costs up inevitably and the 'HMO' model constrains choice.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

I wouldn't, only because my main concern with them is the PDK. The oil changes ($150 each), brakes ($2k for OEM all around), tires ($1500 for a set with mounting and balancing) at say $2000 a year max in maintenance isnt my concern. However, the $10k cost of the PDK if it would fail is. It is for this reason that I will purchase Fidelity Platinum most likely on my car, but an overall maintenance plan I don't have a need for.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Honestly I don;'t think an indy really knows what he/she is in for. And I would not want to be the one to test a big ticket claim. Insurers work because they are big and can spread and absorb risk.... not the model of a service station.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-22-2017, 03:46 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I hear you. I passed a 3 mm kidney stone at 2 am few weeks ago, total cost for ER visit that included CT scan with diagnostics, some pain meds and lab work, total cost was 11.5 k. I could have got a nice set of forged wheels for that. Granted I had a copay and a few other things, so my out of pocket was only 400 dollars. But whew! The CT alone was 7500. I’m guessing I was in the machine all of 10 minutes.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

To the healthcare example. In theory - good. In reality, not so much. More and more money goes into healthcare every year. Most doctors do the best they can for the patient and don't order tests they don't need. For it to work you would need people to take care of themselves. And that will never happen.

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2017, 04:21 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
I hear you. I passed a 3 mm kidney stone at 2 am few weeks ago, total cost for ER visit that included CT scan with diagnostics, some pain meds and lab work, total cost was 11.5 k. I could have got a nice set of forged wheels for that. Granted I had a copay and a few other things, so my out of pocket was only 400 dollars. But whew! The CT alone was 7500. I’m guessing I was in the machine all of 10 minutes.
Machine time is only 10 mins but cost of radiologist read is where most of that charge is from
Old 12-22-2017, 06:06 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It would be tough for an indy to do this, as mentioned above insurers are typically big and spread the risk out, not easy for an indy to do. Also, what happens if a major repair comes up in the first few months, the indy will be losing money on that customer, can the customer cancel anytime? How much has to be prepaid? What happens if you sell the car, want to quit the indy, or the indy wants to quit you? I'm sure we could brainstorm 100 other things that could go wrong. I agree that its good in theory, but implementation and making it a fair deal for both sides would be difficult.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:45 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Wow! Interesting feedback. I guess that answers the question why indy's don't offer this type of service :-)

I agree with the feedback your typical indy might no be able to afford a program like this. The only solution to that would be to spread the risk by creating a stand alone service that partnered with a number of indy's in each market.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:12 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

This has been tried in other ares and it does not work. The indy will try and maximize revenues at the expense of your porsche. Anything that requires a large outlay of his time will not be done in favour of more expensive parts that require less time or a service that he may claim is outside of the scope of the maintenance schedule. No one wants to work for peanuts , or for free, or worse pay to work on your porsche at their expense with a net effect of paying you to work on your car. If you want to play , you have to pay!
Old 12-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I wouldn't be interested in something like this. I prefer to do my own maintenance with my own parts on my own schedule. For someone who doesn't work on their own cars, it might be a different cost/benefit.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:11 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

@Pete - of course you wouldn't because you would be the lead mechanic :-)

Interestingly enough it looks like Hartech is offering this type of service http://hartech.org/maintenance-plan. $240 a month for a 30k plan, all inclusive.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:22 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Interestingly enough it looks like Hartech is offering this type of service http://hartech.org/maintenance-plan. $240 a month for a 30k plan, all inclusive.
But what if nothing major breaks and all that money pays for just the normal maintenance? That seems like it is great for the shop but not so good for the owner.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:29 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

more interesting is its 88 per month for up to 10 k a year or less which is more realistic. But again after inspection and fine print.....

240 a month is 2880 a year.... so close to 9000 for 3 years.....after the inspection and fine print and they can exclude certain items if they want ......I dont see this as a good plan for me

Quick Reply: Would you buy an "all inclusive" service plan from your indy?