Sponsored by:

Dynamic & Standard light swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:23 AM
New911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic & Standard light swap

Can I swap 997.2 Dynamic lights onto a 997.2 that has standard xenons? Are these plug and play or is there something else required to make them work.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Probably at a minimum needs to be coded and activated via the PWIS, maybe Durametric can do it. Being a Porsche, I doubt that simply talking off the old ones and adding in new ones will work. It might not even have the right wiring harness connection at the headlight. You should review the PET diagrams of both versions to see what all in there, or whats not.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:25 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have PDLS on my 2009, and honestly cannot detect the headllights moving as I corner. I know they are working, because I can make them sweep on startup, its just a subtle effect. Would not be worth it to me.

Last edited by kcheves; 01-12-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:52 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

There is a lever and fulcrum attached to the right LCA that controls the dynamic height adjustment. Not sure if that's present for the xenons. I believe lateral is controlled by the steering angle sensor.
Needing that lever hardware alone tells me this would not be plug and play if it's not present already.

This thingy:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Porsche-911-9...1/370899053320

This link shows it on the LCA:
http://www.rigruppe.org/997-lower-co...gative-camber/
Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
There is a lever and fulcrum attached to the right LCA that controls the dynamic height adjustment. Not sure if that's present for the xenons. I believe lateral is controlled by the steering angle sensor.
Needing that lever hardware alone tells me this would not be plug and play if it's not present already.

This thingy:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Porsche-911-9...1/370899053320

This link shows it on the LCA:
http://www.rigruppe.org/997-lower-co...gative-camber/
I dont think lateral is controlled by steering angle. Reason being that they do not move while the car is stationary. There is a rear ride height sensor that I'm pretty sure is mounted on the opposite corner of the car. Probably determines L/R loading from a difference between those two based on "zero" when the car is turned on.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:55 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by kcheves
I have PDLS on my 2009, and honestly cannot detect the headlines moving as I corner. I know they are working, because I can make them sweep on startup, its just a subtle effect. Would not be worth it to me.
I have PDLS as well, and I agree with you - not worth it.

Also, I think the Xenons look better from an aesthetic point of view.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:47 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
I dont think lateral is controlled by steering angle. Reason being that they do not move while the car is stationary. There is a rear ride height sensor that I'm pretty sure is mounted on the opposite corner of the car. Probably determines L/R loading from a difference between those two based on "zero" when the car is turned on.
could be linked to speed sensor too.
they turn less at speed and more when tooling around a parking lot ive noticed. though all speculation here out of my a$$ on the lateral portion.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have PDLS on my 2009, and honestly cannot detect the headlines moving as I corner. I know they are working, because I can make them sweep on startup, its just a subtle effect. Would not be worth it to me.
That's a shame. The adaptive headlights on the Mk7 VW GTI are friggin awesome!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

my GTS has dynamic cornering lights. I didn't notice it a whole lot until I went from daily driving the 997 to daily driving my recently acquired 1 series. It doesn't have cornering lights and I notice a lot. Never would have cared previously but I notice it all the time driving the 1 series, that I've begun to turn and the space into which I am turning has yet to be illuminated for just a moment until the car is straightened up.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Using my 997.1 and Cayenne for reference, for the up and down auto-leveling function, on my 997, there are two of those control boxes with levers on the LCAs - one on the driver's side front and one on the rear and it's their position relative to one another that levels the lights. If your light position is too low, you can slightly adjust one of the brackets to make the home position of the lights higher (or lower}. For the cornering light function on the Cayenne the bulb is always illuminated and there's a shield over it that moves side to side allowing light past it to shine through the corner. Not sure if the 997 works this same way or not. I do know on the 997.1,someone with auto-leveling Xenon lights tried to update to the fully dynamic lights of the 997.2 and was unsuccessful in getting the cornering function to work, but the auto-leveling did.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:37 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my PDLS! Really makes a difference in the twisties at night with low moonlight and no oncoming traffic. I love them!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:50 PM
mblueracer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also was considering this mod but read they are quite heavier and not worth the difference. Then the concern with storing or wasting the old lights.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:18 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant add the Dynamic lights to the regular setup. It was discussed previously somewhere in the 997 forums. I can say that on a regular road in the city you dont notice the lights as much but when on a dark road they really stand out. You notice the lights turning into curves and bends and lights up the road ahead. That is when you really start to truly appreciate them. Around town they dont make a difference as you tend to have plenty of light around an area to not notice as much. I think they are worth it for the darkness but not in the city.

Quick Reply: Dynamic & Standard light swap