Sponsored by:

Any 997 owners also have a Cayman? Saw this basic build Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 12:56 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any 997 owners also have a Cayman? Saw this basic build Cayman S

Thought this car looked liked fun and could be a nice addition. Basic build but a reasonable price. Any guys out there have both? RJ

https://www.porscheofsandiego.com/in...tallic+1408835
Old 12-19-2017, 03:20 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

You pay a bit extra for the CPO cars and this one looks pretty good. The CPO process should ensure you do not need a PPI, but some buyers on RL still do it.Talk to the service manager to see if there is anything in the car's history you don't like. Test drive the hell out of it then get back in the 997 drivers seat to see how the two compare. That 2014 Cayman has more power than my 987 CaymanS, which I always thought was a bit under-powered with the manual gearbox. And I've heard the base engine sounds great. The two models definitely drive differently, but both are loads of fun. If your 997 is also a PDK car, you might test drive a stick Cayman to see what you think.
From what I can see, that looks like a nice basic Cayman. Definitely worth a test drive ....
Old 12-19-2017, 04:29 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ocgarza
You pay a bit extra for the CPO cars and this one looks pretty good. The CPO process should ensure you do not need a PPI, but some buyers on RL still do it.Talk to the service manager to see if there is anything in the car's history you don't like. Test drive the hell out of it then get back in the 997 drivers seat to see how the two compare. That 2014 Cayman has more power than my 987 CaymanS, which I always thought was a bit under-powered with the manual gearbox. And I've heard the base engine sounds great. The two models definitely drive differently, but both are loads of fun. If your 997 is also a PDK car, you might test drive a stick Cayman to see what you think.
From what I can see, that looks like a nice basic Cayman. Definitely worth a test drive ....
I read recently that it has the same engine as the base Carrera and makes 325 hp. Should be plenty of power. RJ
Old 12-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm biased when it comes to Cayman talk because I think the 987 has cleaner, sharper, clearer design that makes it an all time beautiful car with that sort of absolute classic Porsche distinction; a real (vintage)718/904 evolution. But I also really like the 981 platform and have tossed around the idea of picking up a base Boxster PDK for the missus and I to have as a late night drop-top cruiser. I'm less impressed with the 982 aesthetic. Out of the box they are much more accessible machines to drive quickly but that's the mid-engine advantage. The Cayman is a car that's damn near the literal definition of sports-car perfection. Then again that isn't appealing to some folks, some folks prefer the bassackwardness of a 911. Either way there's something nearly exotic about a 981 in a bright color, my brain sometimes tells me "Ferrari!" when I see them in red, I think it's tremendous value for what it is.

Suffice to say, try it out. I'm 6'2 with a 31" pant leg and I don't fit in any generation Cayman comfortably.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:53 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

"I think it's tremendous value for what it is."

That's what I thought Appraiser. Although the one I'm looking at is a very spartan build, the price looked quite reasonable for what you are getting. RJ
Old 12-19-2017, 05:17 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Originally Posted by Appraiser
I'm biased when it comes to Cayman talk because I think the 987 has cleaner, sharper, clearer design that makes it an all time beautiful car with that sort of absolute classic Porsche distinction; a real (vintage)718/904 evolution. But I also really like the 981 platform and have tossed around the idea of picking up a base Boxster PDK for the missus and I to have as a late night drop-top cruiser. I'm less impressed with the 982 aesthetic. Out of the box they are much more accessible machines to drive quickly but that's the mid-engine advantage. The Cayman is a car that's damn near the literal definition of sports-car perfection. Then again that isn't appealing to some folks, some folks prefer the bassackwardness of a 911. Either way there's something nearly exotic about a 981 in a bright color, my brain sometimes tells me "Ferrari!" when I see them in red, I think it's tremendous value for what it is.

Suffice to say, try it out. I'm 6'2 with a 31" pant leg and I don't fit in any generation Cayman comfortably.
Appraiser - I agree with on the looks and size of the 987 CaymanS. And they are a steal right now. It was in fact the look of that generation Cayman that resulted in my wife and I owning Porsches (Post # 71 on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...porsche-4.html). My only complaint was the "first two gears versus torque" in the manual transmission.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:19 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
I read recently that it has the same engine as the base Carrera and makes 325 hp. Should be plenty of power. RJ
With the updated PDK and improved low end torque, yes, I would think it would be a much quicker car. Keep us in the loop on what happens next.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

I have an 09 Carrera S and a 12 Cayman S. They are certainly different drives and I love them both for those reasons. Every time I drive one I think I like it best until I get in the other! They are both PDK. The Cayman is Guards Red and attracts lots of attention which can be good and bad. I have had several compliments on my Ferrari. It's got plenty of power and I prefer it for curve carving. Well, until I get in the 911.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:20 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eagle1960
I have an 09 Carrera S and a 12 Cayman S. They are certainly different drives and I love them both for those reasons. Every time I drive one I think I like it best until I get in the other! They are both PDK. The Cayman is Guards Red and attracts lots of attention which can be good and bad. I have had several compliments on my Ferrari. It's got plenty of power and I prefer it for curve carving. Well, until I get in the 911.
Sounds like you have the best of both worlds. Glad to hear there is room for both in the garage. RJ
Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an 08 987.1 base Cayman. GREAT CAR, loved the balance and the way it rotated through turns. The car you linked to is nice, and dark blue metallic is great color. It's pretty stripped and has PDK, both of which would be personal preferences. It has the most important option - the "S".

I'm in SD if you want me to take a look.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:01 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kcheves
I had an 08 987.1 base Cayman. GREAT CAR, loved the balance and the way it rotated through turns. The car you linked to is nice, and dark blue metallic is great color. It's pretty stripped and has PDK, both of which would be personal preferences. It has the most important option - the "S".

Glad to hear you liked the Cayman. Yes, the S would be a must have. RJ

Last edited by SoCal RJ; 12-20-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:18 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds. Glad to hear there is room for both in the garage. RJ
I got room ! Not enough money!!
Old 12-21-2017, 03:49 PM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Current 997.2, 986; Past 987.1

Thought this car looked liked fun and could be a nice addition. Basic build but a reasonable price. Any guys out there have both? RJ

https://www.porscheofsandiego.com/in...tallic+1408835
Check it out for sure. I currently have a 997.2 CS and a 986 BS. My first drug (P-Car) was a 987.1 Cayman S. I like them all. As someone stated in this thread, the mid engine cars are easier to drive fast. The power is plentiful in my opinion but I'm no track star. Either way, I'd have to say I enjoyed the Cayman S every bit as much as my 997.2 and maybe more so, from a driving perspective.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:07 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw
Check it out for sure. I currently have a 997.2 CS and a 986 BS. My first drug (P-Car) was a 987.1 Cayman S. I like them all. As someone stated in this thread, the mid engine cars are easier to drive fast. The power is plentiful in my opinion but I'm no track star. Either way, I'd have to say I enjoyed the Cayman S every bit as much as my 997.2 and maybe more so, from a driving perspective.
Great to know. Thanks. A fellow Rennlister is checking it out today. Will head down next week if it checks out. RJ.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:51 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kcheves

Shout out to kcheves for taking a look at the car today before I could get down there. Based on his report, will get down there as soon as I can. 40k service just done by dealer on 38-39,000 mile car. Sure helps. RJ

Quick Reply: Any 997 owners also have a Cayman? Saw this basic build Cayman S