Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, what lead you to buy your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:16 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

2002 E39 M5, one of 10,000 brought to NA market 2000-2003.

"Gretchen," an 09 Carrera bought from second owner at 36k miles.
In the mid 90s I bought my first BMW, a 635CSi, followed by a string of eight more that I worked on mostly myself. Owned the last one for three years, an '02 E39 M5 that I put a ton of work (and parts) into. Magnificent car. Didn't think I ever sell it, but earlier this year I decided I had to try my hand at a Porsche. Thought a Cayman would certainly work, but little birdie on my shoulder kept whispering "You know you really want a 911, don't you?" Scoured online listings for months and kept coming back to a 997.2 in Florida that looked right. Bought it a week ago, now awaiting transport.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:50 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Bought my first Porsche at 15, even before I had my license. The neighborhood mechanic who worked on my parents' other cars had rescued it from a vocational school's auto-shop where it had just been sitting outside since the teacher's didn't really know how to work on it. I thought it was a pretty cool car as our across the street neighbor had one too, plus it was a Porsche, and I had all the posters on my wall - the blue 930 with no wheels on the ground, the front of the 928, etc. He let me drive it one day and said most people don't drive it really well but I handled it best of any of them - figured it was meant to be, but he was probably just a really good salesman. Anyway, I don't remember what it cost, but I put up half and my Dad put up the other half and we worked on it together through high-school where we'd split any of the costs 50/50. That's where I not only got the Porsche bug as it handled like nothing else I'd ever driven (which wasn't much at the time - a '72 Cougar Convertible, an '81 Subaru, an '84 Saab Turbo, and a Ford Country Squire wagon)...probably where I got the mod bug too.

Kept it through high-school and the summer between my Freshman and Sophmore years in college, I spent about every week day working with that same neighborhood mechanic I bought it from and we did a full functional restoration together - tore the whole thing apart for a repaint, rebuild the top end of the motor, etc and I afterwards, I drove it the 600 miles down to college, where it was my College car in VA for the next 3 years. My senior year, it swallowed a valve one day and I found a phenomenal Volkswagen bug speciality shop where they built me a heavily upgraded motor to put back into it - 38x48mm big valve heads, 2.1L big bore kit, performance cam with more lift & duration, dual 45mm carbs (FI couldn't supply enough gas for the mods),rebuilt transmission, etc and it completely transformed the car - it always had the handling and stability, but never decent power - that was resolved and it would run in a straight line with Mustang GTs of the period (late 80s / early 90s). Here's a picture of a picture of it from back then with real sheepskin seat covers from New Zealand (I know, right, but actually surprisingly comfortable).

After graduation, I started driving a 90 Saab Turbo SPG for my sales job, but kept the 914 for fun as I lived back at home during the next couple years while I embarked on my sales career. 2 years later I transferred to Chicago with a different division of the same company, and not wanting to pay to park 2 cars in Chicago, winterized the 914, covered it up and left it at my parents' house. During that time, my Dad retired and moved down to SC - they moved the car with them, and not long after, I had the opportunity to switch regions and relocated to the Atlanta area - the 914 and I were reunited again.

I decided to go through it and get it road ready again and took it to a local shop to have them give it once over. Then I got the phone call...the years of sitting outside at the auto-shop in a Northeastern climate had taken their toll - they told me the chassis was so rotten that they didn't think it was safe to even drive it home from their shop

Unfazed by the news, I began the hunt for a donor 914 into which I could install the custom powerplant and rebuilt transmission. Found the perfect car in Seattle - no powertrain, disassembled and freshly painted black, but a 50,000 mile example and interior condition that matched the statement. Having had one 914 with chassis rot in the "hellhole" and down the rockers, I knew what to look for in this one - door gaps perfect even with the roof off, a little surface rust in the corner behind the firewall, but nothing I could punch a screwdriver through, solid rockers - this was the one, and the price was right. My parents had always wanted to see the parts of the US out West - Mt Rushmore, Grand Canyon, etc so they now being retired, embarked on a 3 week tour heading West, and made Seattle their last stop. I rented a U-Haul and they trailered the 914 roller completely full of parts back home to GA. I spent the next 4 years of early mornrings, late nights, and weekends taking the 2 914s and building my ideal 914. Any duplicate parts that were good which I didn't need, I sold off on eBay. Upgraded virtually everything in the car - roller bearing suspension, stereo with four 6.5" speakers and amp, cleaned and refinished the fuel tank, both inside & out, eliminated all the rust from everywhere on the car and repainted all of it, expect the outer panels, seam sealed every seam, etc. The outside paint that had been applied was so tough and durable, that I broke 3 razor blades trying to scratch it off in the VIN area on the windshield during the purchase process. The windshield was cracked so the painter didn't take much care when masking it and why I needed to scrape off the paint.

Anyway, that 914 is the black car in my signature that I work on with my son, who is now 10, and will pass down to him to enjoy the way I have in a few years. It's still wearing that same black paint I bought it with back in 1993. I cleaned it up prior to taking it to our first Octeenerfest in Helen, GA this past September. Turns out we had the only black one there!

Interior - simple, functional, classic, but with a few updates

24 year old repaint still looks great

On the lawn at Jake Raby's who hosted the group for a BBQ lunch - thanks again Jake !

Show day with his siblings - 5th down on the right

The next owner - shhhh, don't tell him (Funny, just noticed he's wearing his RUF Yellowbird watch)

I build them for me, but nice to see others appreciate my custom choices

In 2012, it was time to realize my childhood dream of owning a 911, so I started the hunt. Found a 964 3.6 that in hindsight, I should have bought just based on what those values have done, but at the time, wanted something a little more modern with better A/C for the SC summers, and started looking for a 997TT. Instead, ended up finding my GT Silver RUF R-Kompressor for similar money, and favoring uniqueness in my P-cars, worked out a deal with the seller - flew to Pittsburgh, did a 3 day PPI with the tech at the Porsche dealership there including pulling the trans to inspect which IMS bearing was in the car (it's the larger one), compression test, leakdown test, full service (plugs, coils, oil, both filters, etc), and closed the deal. It's funny how things work out as I had seen my exact car come up for sale a couple years earlier, and remembered reading the excellence article on it back in '05 (attached), which is when I first lusted after it, but the price was well out of my reach at that time. Anyway, back to the story...I started the drive home form Pittsburgh to SC in my new to me 911 through one of the top 5 worst storms I've ever driven through. Nighttime, rain in buckets, strong winds, lighting bolts, OMG.

From the hotel window on night 1

Spent the night about half way and luckily the storm cleared and on day 2 and I was in heaven for that next 400 miles - you all know what I mean. One thing led to another with this car, and I've now modded just about every aspect of it that can be to make it more uniquely mine that it was initially. Of all my P-cars, the 914 has more nostalgia, but this one is my absolute favorite - the only car I've ever said doesn't need more power, razor sharp handling, just the right balance of old school and new school, not a single touch screen in it. This is a car I'll never sell and I've even gone as far as to purchase a 2nd complete RUF R-Kompressor kit in case I have a failure of any part on this one, as RUF no longer makes this setup.

I'll save the stories on the pink pearl 997, the 928 Spyder, & widebody Cayenne for another day, but since this is the 997 forum, had to get as far in the chronology to include the first 997

RJ, cool thread idea BTW. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories.
Thanks Pete. It's been fun so far and hopefully more to come.

Fantastic story and great pictures. Nice array of cars too. You started very, very young and me at 61. Better late than never though. RJ
Old 12-13-2017, 10:53 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by loungin
Tl;dr: thank the wife

I try to be financially responsible but Wife really wanted a 911. I’m like that’s impossible/impractical. Made the mistake of showing my wife the motortrend GT4 review thinking it was safe because like the review said, all units were accounted for so it’s be impossible for me to even consider buying one. Ended up with her saying I want that car. I was like, but it’s impossible, how about a base Cayman? She objected - why did you even show me that video if you can’t get one and insisted if we’re going to do ED might as well get a Porsche and not a base but a GT4. It bugged me so I emailed like 20 dealers to try to find one and put myself on lists to be able to get a configurable build for ED. A dealer contacted me and it actually worked out. We went to Zuffenhausen to meet the car and she drove it out the showroom with glee saying so this is what a Porsche feels like.

That is how I ended up with a Porsche.

Oh and she still wanted that 911 because driving a GT4 daily is a nuisance so I relented again and got that mid mileage 2012 C2S.

So now I have 2. Hopefully she’s happy now and those passing comments about Mclaren don’t mean anything... at least the GT4 and used C2S were attainable. I think I convinced her though that driving those cars virtually on Assetto corsa is good enough and less hassle than owning one.
That is what I call a good wife. Great story. RJ
Old 12-13-2017, 10:55 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by captainbaker
When I got my first 'real job' I sold my 16V GTI and bought a chiffon white 911SC. Drove that for about 40k miles and sold it for a low mile Jag XJ. Mistake. sold that for a 964 cab, and hated it. sold and bought a couple of 964 coupes, then a 996. A Lotus Esprit S4 and Testarossa sprinkled in. Sold then got into bikes. Had a garage full of the best of the best bikes. Sold them all when we moved to a bigger house. When the dust settled picked up another white Testarossa and slid in my current white C4S. We have other fun cars to round out the stable.

Made money on everything except the XJ, not a big loss, but I was flipping cars to get to an endgame.
Quite the car history Captain. Cool. RJ
Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by swingwing

2002 E39 M5, one of 10,000 brought to NA market 2000-2003.

"Gretchen," an 09 Carrera bought from second owner at 36k miles.
In the mid 90s I bought my first BMW, a 635CSi, followed by a string of eight more that I worked on mostly myself. Owned the last one for three years, an '02 E39 M5 that I put a ton of work (and parts) into. Magnificent car. Didn't think I ever sell it, but earlier this year I decided I had to try my hand at a Porsche. Thought a Cayman would certainly work, but little birdie on my shoulder kept whispering "You know you really want a 911, don't you?" Scoured online listings for months and kept coming back to a 997.2 in Florida that looked right. Bought it a week ago, now awaiting transport.
Really nice looking car. Bet you can't wait to get it.

Love BMW's too, as my DD is a 2014 328i. Sold a 2011 128i convertible to get my Porsche.

Funny, I was set to pull the trigger on a Boxster and that little birdie kept showing up too. Got my 911 less than a month ago, my first Porsche. Love it. RJ
Old 12-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmmmm, my first Porsche, huh? That was a long time ago! Anyway, I had grown up in a household with two older brothers and my father, all of whom drove VW Bugs (mom was not licensed to drive and preferred to ride). I graduated from high school, sold my Polar Silver '56 Bug, and joined the Navy, served in Viet Nam, and got out in 1966. Loaded, for that time, with battle pay cash burning a hole in my pocket, I went to Santa Monica Ford and ordered a 1967 Mustang fastback in silver, and fitted with a 390 c.i. engine and a 4-speed manual. One of my brothers had bought a 1966 911, and comparing the two cars woke me up, and after only 8 months I sold the Ford and bought a 1964 356 SC coupe in champagne yellow/black. What a great little car! Oh, the stories I could tell...
Old 12-13-2017, 02:15 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Hmmmmm, my first Porsche, huh? That was a long time ago! Anyway, I had grown up in a household with two older brothers and my father, all of whom drove VW Bugs (mom was not licensed to drive and preferred to ride). I graduated from high school, sold my Polar Silver '56 Bug, and joined the Navy, served in Viet Nam, and got out in 1966. Loaded, for that time, with battle pay cash burning a hole in my pocket, I went to Santa Monica Ford and ordered a 1967 Mustang fastback in silver, and fitted with a 390 c.i. engine and a 4-speed manual. One of my brothers had bought a 1966 911, and comparing the two cars woke me up, and after only 8 months I sold the Ford and bought a 1964 356 SC coupe in champagne yellow/black. What a great little car! Oh, the stories I could tell...
You do go way back Peter. Good story and I'm guessing you have had quite a few since then. I'll have to get your book. RJ
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was 10 years old with my family and my German uncle in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. This funny looking little car drove by that I didn't recognize. My uncle asked me if I knew what it was and I said I did not, so he proceeded to tell me all about the Porsche 356 and what great cars they were. It left a huge impression on me that never left. Later, when I was in high school I really fell for the 911. But, college, building a career, getting married, having kids, all came first and time passed. A few years ago I sold my last motorcycle. and started wondering what I was going to do. I was at the point in my career where the disposable income was a little more significant, so I started looking for a Porsche. Thought I'd get a Boxter but every time I went to look at them I ended up looking at 911's. So, I started looking for a nice used 911. After almost a year I found a 997 in great shape with low miles in a color (midnight blue metallic) that I liked and bought it. Even after a few years I still get a little excited just looking at it.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stories! If this was Facebook, I'd be hitting the like button after each one of these posts.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by braymond52
I was 10 years old with my family and my German uncle in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. This funny looking little car drove by that I didn't recognize. My uncle asked me if I knew what it was and I said I did not, so he proceeded to tell me all about the Porsche 356 and what great cars they were. It left a huge impression on me that never left. Later, when I was in high school I really fell for the 911. But, college, building a career, getting married, having kids, all came first and time passed. A few years ago I sold my last motorcycle. and started wondering what I was going to do. I was at the point in my career where the disposable income was a little more significant, so I started looking for a Porsche. Thought I'd get a Boxter but every time I went to look at them I ended up looking at 911's. So, I started looking for a nice used 911. After almost a year I found a 997 in great shape with low miles in a color (midnight blue metallic) that I liked and bought it. Even after a few years I still get a little excited just looking at it.
Good story. I thought I would start with a Boxster too, but the damn 911's were so cool, I had to have one. Not even 1 month ownership yet, but love it. RJ
Old 12-13-2017, 09:12 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Default So, what lead you to buy your first Porsche?

I had sold my Heritage Motor Cars 1934 Mercedes 500K replica and had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I told my wife I needed another hobby car and auditioned several Corvettes, however my wife is very small (4'11") and we discovered she could not depress the clutch fully with the seat all the way forward and her chest against the steering wheel airbag (not advisable). So she said " no Corvettes for you mister". I said "well I need another car what should I look at ?" She replied " why don't you look at some other kind of sports car?" I said "you mean like a Jag or a Porsche? " She replied "yes". So we drove to the Porsche dealer and auditioned a 911 and she found the driving position to be no problem. I then began an extensive search which led to my purchase of my 2009 911 c4s.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:41 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby

I had sold my Heritage Motor Cars 1934 Mercedes 500K replica and had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I told my wife I needed another hobby car and auditioned several Corvettes, however my wife is very small (4'11") and we discovered she could not depress the clutch fully with the seat all the way forward and her chest against the steering wheel airbag (not advisable). So she said " no Corvettes for you mister". I said "well I need another car what should I look at ?" She replied " why don't you look at some other kind of sports car?" I said "you mean like a Jag or a Porsche? " She replied "yes". So we drove to the Porsche dealer and auditioned a 911 and she found the driving position to be no problem. I then began an extensive search which led to my purchase of my 2009 911 c4s.
Good story and a good wife. Very nice ride. Really like the color and wheels. RJ
Old 12-13-2017, 11:18 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 409 Posts

Lusted for 911 for 30 yrs. Took a viagra one day. Wife wasn't interested. 911S cab was. Done deal.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:33 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Lusted for 911 for 30 yrs. Took a viagra one day. Wife wasn't interested. 911S cab was. Done deal.
That has to be the shortest and funniest answer yet. Your gain, not hers. RJ
Old 12-13-2017, 11:38 PM
idealcars
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an air cooled 3.2 Carrera in college. Had been left out in the rain forever and the interior was completely shot (targa top off of it). So I purchased that for a bargain before air cooled cars were 'cool'. Once they became desirable I had a guy pull me over on the freeway and offer me all the money for the car! Ended up selling it and buying the 997 with the cash!

Quick Reply: So, what lead you to buy your first Porsche?