Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After your 997 - Do you aspire to go older (air cooled), newer (991+) or GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 04:20 AM
alexisthemovie
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Singer aside, I've never really felt the desire to own any 911 pre 997. I guess I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I'd be overpaying so much for something that has simply appreciated in price. If the whole air cooled hype never came back, the old pre 964 Carreras would be around $10k, 964's wouldn't be far off and 993's would be $20-25k. Just thinking about that now sounds absurd, but that's really where the prices were headed. It's very similar to E30's, NSX's, and other enthusiast cars. I couldn't even get myself to pay $20k just 7 years ago for an early NSX and nowadays that same car goes for double. If that car had reached the bottom of it's depreciation, then at best you'd be paying $40k for a $20k driving experience.

E30 M3's were sub $10k and are also now $40k+. All of these cars may offer a unique experience, but unique does not equal better for my money.

I haven't driven any 911 newer than my 997 C2S, but the 911's that do interest me are any variant of the GT3 (yes, even a 996), 997 Turbo, and any of the 991.2 Turbo cars.

There are so many 911's that interest me based on aesthetics alone - numerous restomod 964's, 993's, 997/991 C4S with the all red taillights and widebodies, Targa models, etc. I'd just rather appreciate somebody else's and buy the car that I enjoy driving the most.

I've owned my 997 C2S for over half a year now and I'm still not sure I really love it. It is an absolutely fantastic car with a entry price point, doesn't appear to be depreciating, still looks relatively new and special on the outside, and offers all of the amazing 911 driving traits. However, the engine doesn't feel special to me (Carrera S to GT3 is like 330i to M3), the car isn't that fast, the brakes don't seem to be as good as their size would have you believe, and the interior look / features are getting to be a bit dated. Maybe it's my 561whp S2000 track car that has ruined all performance benchmarks for me...

Quick Reply: After your 997 - Do you aspire to go older (air cooled), newer (991+) or GT?