Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a car cover when parked in the garage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,526 Likes on 919 Posts

Covering your car in a garage protects it from a rake falling on it. Otherwise forget it. Here is a picture of my 2000 Boxster S with around 175K miles or more on it and for about 120K miles (not really sure), it was parked outside in Center City Philly with just its nose stuck under an overhang. Oh, and if you ever lived in a major city, you will know the "dust" is like sand particles. Wash it, Zaino it, and polish it with mild chemical abrasive applied with an orbital.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-01-2017, 10:38 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellen
I would skip it unless your spot is ground level with an open fenced area blowing on it. Even then I wouldn’t do it personally due to the time and possibility of scratches. Plus it’s a beautiful car to look at.

However I’m imagining something in a high rise with no real fresh air access. I personally don’t cover mine and it’s inside at 65-70 degeees in a high rise. Never had any problems.
Garage attached to my house in Southern California. No real winter here. RJ
Old 12-01-2017, 10:41 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_
Some parking garages in the city have lime/calcium drips that leave marks on the car. I had this happen to my Benz, and it took a wet sanding/detailing to get it off. Fortunately the garage covered the costs.

How bad are the scratches to the paint from placing a car cover on the vehicle?
Not sure about how bad the scratches can get, just what I heard. Just got my car. RJ
Old 12-01-2017, 10:43 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorschePaul
I cover my car all the time - always in the garage and when parked outside for more than a few minutes. I always make sure it is clean and that I lightly dust it off before covering. I've never had a problem with scratches following these steps.
Good to know. I will get a California car Duster whether I cover it or not. RJ
Old 12-01-2017, 10:46 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Covering your car in a garage protects it from a rake falling on it. Otherwise forget it. Here is a picture of my 2000 Boxster S with around 175K miles or more on it and for about 120K miles (not really sure), it was parked outside in Center City Philly with just its nose stuck under an overhang. Oh, and if you ever lived in a major city, you will know the "dust" is like sand particles. Wash it, Zaino it, and polish it with mild chemical abrasive applied with an orbital.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Looks good Bruce. RJ
Old 12-01-2017, 10:49 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a fleece lined cover that I only put on after a wash/wax where I’ll be out on travel for a couple of weeks. Then after the unveiling, the cover gets dry cleaned and stored until next time.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:54 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
I have a fleece lined cover that I only put on after a wash/wax where I’ll be out on travel for a couple of weeks. Then after the unveiling, the cover gets dry cleaned and stored until next time.
Mostly no responses (11-2), except for after a wash, special circumstances or wintertime (no "winter" here"). Interesting. Would have thought the other way around, but I get it. RRJ
Old 12-01-2017, 01:56 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

if you're in a private garage with no air blowing like there may be in a public garage then just drape a .5 mil or 1 mil plastic sheet over it. this is the stuff that is thinner than a plastic grocery bag. it weighs nothing so won't harm the car even just resting on it and will protect it from dust and dirt.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:02 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nwGTS
if you're in a private garage with no air blowing like there may be in a public garage then just drape a .5 mil or 1 mil plastic sheet over it. this is the stuff that is thinner than a plastic grocery bag. it weighs nothing so won't harm the car even just resting on it and will protect it from dust and dirt.
Good idea. Never thought of that. RJ
Old 12-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have car covers for both Porsches. It's not to keep away dust but to keep my mother is law from scratching them. She put a few scratches on my 997 when she tried to get tools to work around my house while we were on vacation or away. She's the type of person that can't sit still. When we are on vacation, she helps clean up the garage, yard, etc. Even though I said not to, I gave up so I just washed my cars and cover them whenever I'm on vacation or away for a business trip. As long as your car and car cover is clean there should be no scratches.

Quick Reply: Using a car cover when parked in the garage?