Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise - am I crazy or about to go broke?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:43 PM
jz1976
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have your choice of 93 octane with Ethanol or 91 without which is the better choice?
Old 11-30-2017, 04:20 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

I'll probably do the brake booster line exchange myself. Can anyone verify the part number? 997-110-055-03

It's the pipe marked by the yellow arrow and 2nd blue arrow from this image courtesy of pelican parts

Name:  7mU8YJ8.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  73.7 KB
Old 11-30-2017, 05:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Ethanol, and other additives.

I don;t believe that any fuel these days is truly "ethanol free" thats bought at the pump.
In most cases the highest octane that can be found in non ethanol is 90, but in some areas its only 85-87. In this scenario the Ethanol is the lesser evil, as you must have the octane rating to keep these higher compression engines alive. Too low of octane rating often leads to detonation, which plays hell on the connecting rod bearings, and pistons.
Interesting... so a fuel injector cleaner wouldn't do anything? I only use Chevron 0% ethanol 94 Octane fuel (only offered in Canada). Should that help? The only other high quality fuel is a Oct. 95 Shell but with ethanol.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:32 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Update - I cut apart the oil filter and there were ferrous metal flakes in it. Passed a magnet over them and they stuck. See photos below. Right now I am seriously considering dumping the car at a lot and getting my warranty money back.

Name:  ayDEOYH.png
Views: 13
Size:  294.7 KB

Name:  lsSU8r8.png
Views: 11
Size:  868.4 KB
Old 12-03-2017, 12:05 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,387 Likes on 1,295 Posts

why not use the warranty to get the motor rebuilt? It does not look like much debris from those pictures. The odd flake or two may not be a significant problem. Nevertheless, shouldn't your warranty cover this?
Old 12-03-2017, 03:29 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

It SHOULD. But I'm not sure if it will. This a new-to-me car, and I believe strongly that the PPI from the dealership I used missed these problems. They, of course, claim no responsibility. The warranty co would likely deem an engine rebuild 1 month into warranty purchase suspicious, and I bet it would be difficult for me to get them to approve a total rebuild. Part of me doesn't want to deal with that.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:19 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Far too many threads on here don't have a resolution and I wanted to share my story.

Ultimately, the engine noise that I hear(d) at idle, that sounded like a lifter noise and I feared was associated with bore scoring wound up being the transmission. I scoped the cylinders myself from the spark plug holes and didn't detect any problems in the cylinder liners and of course there was no loss of oil, no sooty tail pipes, no difference in fuel economy.

I did continue to have the tapping/knocking noise at warm idle along with a vibration in the seat. I replaced the motor mounts as I read worn mounts could contribute to vibration but there was no change after the replacement. I brushed it off as part of the car's "character."

Wound up bringing the car in to my indy mechanic a few weeks after replacing the motor mounts for a totally unrelated issue, a headlight level sensor fault that occurred when a passing truck sped through a giant puddle and sent a wave of water over the top of my driver's side headlight. The mechanic noted the vibration and tapping at idle and noticed that the transmission was vibrating on the lift. They deduced it was caused by worn synchros and impending shaft bearing failure. They recommended replacement of the transmission. Ouch. The shop said they see about 1-2 of these failures per year - lucky me. I have a platinum level warranty from Fidelity who came to inspect the car and approved all repairs, including re-sealing of the left side of the engine, which had a weaping cam cover seal. I am waiting for a new transmission to be shipped from Germany and will be replacing the clutch at the same time, essentially for the cost of parts and no additional labor. To say I feel fortunate is an understatement, and I have never been happier to be covered by an extended warranty.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:21 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how hard is it to deal with fidelity? im thinking of doin my ims this spring around 3k with clutch and rms..but maybe ill just get a fidelity and drive it till it breaks..
Old 03-04-2018, 12:32 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Pretty easy as far as I'm concerned. I didn't deal with them at all, the shop took care of everything but it did take a couple days. The only thing Fidelity didn't approve was rush shipping from Germany, so I paid out of pocket for that. Given the extent of repairs, adding the Fidelity warranty was the best purchase I made (possibly ever).

Quick Reply: Engine noise - am I crazy or about to go broke?