Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration and squeak in 2d gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017 | 05:10 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Default Vibration and squeak in 2d gear

Does anyone with an aftermarket exhaust have a vibrating squeak in second gear, when accelerating gently from a stop sign or near stop that doesn’t require downshifting back to first? My Fabspeed exhaust puts some vibration out along with the exhaust note, and if I stay in second around town, like in a residential area, I pull away from a near stop and I have a slight squeak/vibration combo that is really annoying. My thought is something is loose, but what could it be? I am going to check the exhaust mounts first but do any of y’all have additional suggestions?

Last edited by ALEV8; 11-29-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2017 | 08:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My Fabspeed doesn't do that. Try defeating the clutch pedal switch which retards the timing as you let the clutch out which can cause tre motor to make a honk or for lack of a better word, a farrting sound. Maybe in your car, that resonance is causing a squeak.
Its a simple thing to test. The switch is right on the clutch pedal and comes out by twisting it 90 degrees, then just tape the plunger closed and test drive the car to see if you like the effect and if it effects the squeaking you describe.

Thus won't effect the cruise control functionality or having to push the clutch in to start the car.

If not that, how old are your motor mounts?
Old 11-29-2017 | 08:43 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
......as you let the clutch out which can cause tre motor to make a honk or for lack of a better word, a farrting sound......
I have heard that "honk" every so often when I let out the clutch in a particular way in 1st (never any other gear) and I heard it more frequently when I had the clutch switch defeated. I just dismissed the sound as my clutch is going or maybe not, I don't know. For now, I just avoid letting the clutch out in a way that will cause that noise....Hope someone figure out what that noise is....

I think the "honk" noise happens if I am a bit slow letting out the clutch and it half engages while I try to give more gas. If I give it more gas before the clutch engages then there is no noise.
Old 11-29-2017 | 12:36 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Motor mounts are original and that was my very first thought. Shifting with the Numeric unit down low has become a real PITA too lately. Been meaning to replace them anyway. I’ll try the clutch switch thing.....THANKS!!! Stay tuned.
Old 11-29-2017 | 12:42 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I recommend RSS's Semi Solid Motor Mounts if you're replacing them. I've been running mine for a few years and they really help to tame the engine weight moving around back there.

Old 11-29-2017 | 06:04 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

The semi solid RSS mounts are on my wish list for sure, but heard enough bitching about vibration from the change that I never bit on the purchase. Now I think to myself that in a 997 C4 over bad roads with 19s HOW MUCH MORE VIBRATION COULD THERE BE???? This year even with the gear oil change I’ve had plenty of difficulty shifting into 1st gear. Stock engine mounts have been in this car long enough.

I’ll ask for Santa to bring them....
Old 11-29-2017 | 11:14 PM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

I sometimes get that chirping squeak of the mark when in traffic for a time. The first time I heard it was just after I had dropped the trani on my 997S to pull the seal on my non removable IMS bearing. At 50k miles I was prepared to change this original clutch as well, but decided not to as the clutch looked pretty good with over 2 mm depth to the rivets. So, I just replaced the pilot bearing. Soooo, now at 100k I’m still waiting for the clutch to go ( no symptoms yet) so I can hopefully get rid of the chirp which I have always attributed to that replaced pilot bearing.
Old 12-01-2017 | 01:40 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Noise is on passenger side only and only with clutch engaged.
Old 12-01-2017 | 07:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A noise only when the clutch pedal is pressed in is usually a throwout bearing going bad.
Old 12-01-2017 | 10:38 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

NOT a squeak WHEN the clutch is depressed and released, so maybe I mis-wrote. More like IN GEAR. Come to a stop sign, leave it in second and the RPMs are low enough for a substantial vibration throughout the car and SQUEAAAAK along with that vibration....weird I know.
Old 12-01-2017 | 10:54 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Weren’t you gonna cycle this nightmare out and get a turbo or 2009+?

With the issues you have had it would have driven me to drink heavily and write bad checks months ago.
Old 12-01-2017 | 10:58 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Unplanned divorce got in the way, but not entirely sure adding a bunch of debt just to get a turbo or a 991 really helps me. I do like this car a ton and I’m just nitpicking on the squeak, don’t really want to drop it off to have somebody pay and figure it out
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:02 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Unplanned divorce got in the way, but not entirely sure adding a bunch of debt just to get a turbo or a 991 really helps me. I do like this car a ton and I’m just nitpicking on the squeak, don’t really want to drop it off to have somebody pay and figure it out
Sorry about that....I agree on the debt. Cash or you can’t afford it is what Dad always said. Never has failed.

The folks on this forum will help you out as usual....just a great wealth of information.
Old 12-01-2017 | 12:34 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Probably not the first Porsche that caused a divorce - just kidding of course. My wife says if another Porsche shows up I'll be looking for a new wife, but didn't think it was very funny when I commented that it would open up a garage spot or two.

I can sometimes hear my clutch engage with a little thump. Maybe your thump has a little squeak with it. Time to upgrade the exhaust and or speakers so you can't hear the squeak. Mine probably makes more noises than I can hear.

Are you sure you should be in 2nd gear in the situation you describe - maybe the engine is lugging a bit causing an intake honk. Does it do it if you shift to first?

Quick Reply: Vibration and squeak in 2d gear