Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel & Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:54 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

another one from don dallas, havent swapped the silver trim plate with the black one yet.

with this said, if you want the absolute best best quality and materials + 100%oem workmanship for a steering wheel upgrade i would suggest you look into ledermanz in europe. you can find him on eBay and there are threads about ledermanz on rennlist as well. cost isnt too much more then usa/uk vendors but the shipping will be significantly more.

The following users liked this post:
chekraze (02-24-2021)
Old 11-30-2017, 04:19 AM
3rd_world
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of Ledermanz,Im getting ready to ship my steering wheel to him. Quoted $350 to turn it into as pictured except w red stitching. Also $70 to do PDK ****. Another $39 return shipping. He has listing on ebay specifically for custom orders.

Will share pix once i get them back.
chekraze (02-24-2021)
Old 11-30-2017, 08:09 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One advantage with Royal.... they'll send a new wheel on an exchange basis so your car isn't out of service.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge

Two others from Dallas Custom. Great pricing, workmanship and turnaround time.

Just another piece of feedback for your search. I want to be honest about my experience with Dallas Custom Wheels. I purchased two of them. I do not know if the re-wrap technique is the same or different depending on materials or companies. If you look at the photos above you will see what I mean. My experience was that the stitching where the two leather pieces meet, there is a fold under of leather. This creates a bump at the seam and a soft, inconsistent feel directly next to the seam. You can see what I am talking about clearly in the post above (on the red striped wheel you can see the soft inconsistent spot on the right thumb bump, underside) (on the bottom photo you can see the folded over leather at all of the seams). The leather and padding is not as tight as an OEM steering wheel leather and padding, just something to take into account. I was looking for more OEM feel. Maybe other shops can get that OEM feel, but it was not my experience.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Just another piece of feedback for your search. I want to be honest about my experience with Dallas Custom Wheels. I purchased two of them. I do not know if the re-wrap technique is the same or different depending on materials or companies. If you look at the photos above you will see what I mean. My experience was that the stitching where the two leather pieces meet, there is a fold under of leather. This creates a bump at the seam and a soft, inconsistent feel directly next to the seam. You can see what I am talking about clearly in the post above (on the red striped wheel you can see the soft inconsistent spot on the right thumb bump, underside) (on the bottom photo you can see the folded over leather at all of the seams). The leather and padding is not as tight as an OEM steering wheel leather and padding, just something to take into account. I was looking for more OEM feel. Maybe other shops can get that OEM feel, but it was not my experience.
i agree. The wrinkled leather in those 2 samples is not acceptable quality. My DCT wheel doesn't show any of that after 2 years .
​​​​​
Old 12-02-2017, 12:37 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

+1 for Ledermanz. Based on the photos I've seen, he produces the highest quality work for the least amount of money. My wheel should be arriving in Latvia any day now and I'm pretty damn excited about this mod.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
+1 for Ledermanz. Based on the photos I've seen, he produces the highest quality work for the least amount of money. My wheel should be arriving in Latvia any day now and I'm pretty damn excited about this mod.
The wrinkling isn’t present on Bill’s example. I wonder if it’s from different leather types ?(one is perforated one isn’t)
Old 12-02-2017, 02:49 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_
The wrinkling isn’t present on Bill’s example. I wonder if it’s from different leather types ?(one is perforated one isn’t)
That's fair, but for $150 - $250 less, I can have my wheel customized with a flat bottom and any material/colour/stitching combination imaginable and have no doubts that I will be receiving a quality product.

https://www.instagram.com/grigul_design/

edit: Bill's wheel doesn't have the wrinkles & creasing shown in the other photos, but it does have the bumps ChicagoSpeed996 was talking about. That alone would drive me mental.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:47 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

That's fair, but for $150 - $250 less, I can have my wheel customized with a flat bottom and any material/colour/stitching combination imaginable and have no doubts that I will be receiving a quality product.

edit: Bill's wheel doesn't have the wrinkles & creasing shown in the other photos, but it does have the bumps ChicagoSpeed996 was talking about. That alone would drive me mental.

"That alone would drive me mental."
there is medication for that... just kidding. Seriously though, I had my steering wheels wrapped 5-6 years ago and that small lip has not once crossed my mind or bothered me in anyway. It has been one of my favorite upgrades and still feels/looks great after 5 yrs. Also 5 years ago many of these newer steering wheel design guys mentioned today were not as well known on the forums back then.
I have been very happy with the feel and look of the steering wheels I have ordered from dallascustom. But I am not biased or a dallascustom only fanboy either. Dallas just happen to be one of the more popular choices back in the day. I understand competition and different strokes for different folkes. Some like an oem plain jane look and some like starship enterprise. It all depends on what you want and the look/design you are going for. I do agree that some of the leather materials, especially perforated, can wrinkle in the tight corners and may trap a little more dirt and oils over its life time. Again, personal preference.

I think you have gotten some great suggestions and feedback. Best thing anyone should do is contact the manufacturers you like and get a few quotes. You can send them any photo of something that interests you and they will usually get back to you right away. All the best and send us a pic when all is said and done.. Steering wheels are a great upgrade!
Old 12-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Originally Posted by qikqbn
"That alone would drive me mental."
there is medication for that... just kidding. Seriously though, I had my steering wheels wrapped 5-6 years ago and that small lip has not once crossed my mind or bothered me in anyway. It has been one of my favorite upgrades and still feels/looks great after 5 yrs. Also 5 years ago many of these newer steering wheel design guys mentioned today were not as well known on the forums back then.
I have been very happy with the feel and look of the steering wheels I have ordered from dallascustom. But I am not biased or a dallascustom only fanboy either. Dallas just happen to be one of the more popular choices back in the day. I understand competition and different strokes for different folkes. Some like an oem plain jane look and some like starship enterprise. It all depends on what you want and the look/design you are going for. I do agree that some of the leather materials, especially perforated, can wrinkle in the tight corners and may trap a little more dirt and oils over its life time. Again, personal preference.

I think you have gotten some great suggestions and feedback. Best thing anyone should do is contact the manufacturers you like and get a few quotes. You can send them any photo of something that interests you and they will usually get back to you right away. All the best and send us a pic when all is said and done.. Steering wheels are a great upgrade!
Amen to what you just said. I'm sure you're wheel has a nice feel to it because it was one of the things Matt specifically said during the podcast. He's driven a ton of cars, and has a pretty good frame of reference.

I'm going to do this upgrade over the winter, while my car is not driven.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Contacting Ledermanz this weekend to look at their offerings. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:14 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

One other piece of advice. A lot of these guys offer steering wheels that they already have in stock with a core Exchange. if they already have something you like, you can ask them to send you one but you will have to pay up front the cost which will be probably be double or around $800.. Then you can inspect the wheel and keep it if you like or send it back if it has any defects without ever having to take your steering wheel off. Most of these guys offer some sort of return policy or guarantee. That's one safe way to do it. get exactly what you like, inspect it , and then send your core Exchange in after you are happy for a refund of the Exchange price of $400 bucks or whatever they agree to. They should usually give you 10 days or so to make up your mind.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_
Contacting Ledermanz this weekend to look at their offerings. Thanks for the input.
u cant go wrong with ledermanz. don't forget to check his eBay account as well for further ideas/workmanship samples. even his more aggressive wheels look more oem then the other competitors imo.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:51 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Ledermanz just completed my wheel and sent me these photos. You can tell just by the photos how good the workmanship is.

chekraze (02-24-2021)
Old 12-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Ledermanz just completed my wheel and sent me these photos. You can tell just by the photos how good the workmanship is.
Looks great. You're going to love it

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel & Shifter