Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a home portable compressor for tire inflation? Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Using a home portable compressor for tire inflation? Which one?

Just got my Porsche and the tire warning light says the left rear down -4. I'm hoping this is not a finicky system as the dealer just set to 37/44, which is on the sill plate for my 2006 911 S. Seems high and the manual shows two settings, partially loaded and fully loaded. 33/39 and 36/44. Not sure why manual doesn't match the sill plate for fully loaded.

Anyhow, I'm thinking I'll buy a home portable compressor system for convenience. Would like to know what you have and use. RJ.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:05 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Use the partially loaded numbers for better handling. It's for one or two people without luggage. The fully loaded targets are for when all seats in the car are occupied and the frunk is full.

Bruce had a good thread a while back with the same compressor question. I'm on mobile and can't find the link. Somebody will post it I'm sure.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

I have a 10 gal air compressor in my garage, but dragging the rubber hose is a bit awkward. I recently picked up at Target an “Air Hawk Pro cordless tire inflator” works amazingly well. Same form factor as a power drill and has no cables
Old 11-19-2017, 01:24 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently replaced my old 10gallon super loud compressor with this small, portable DeWalt compressor:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWFP55130-Heavy-Quiet-Compressor/dp/B00HQYFZGM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1511111992&sr=8-9&keywords=Quiet+air+compressor https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWFP55130-Heavy-Quiet-Compressor/dp/B00HQYFZGM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1511111992&sr=8-9&keywords=Quiet+air+compressor

Its really quiet, which means I use it more. Its relatively light, so you can move it around if needed. It can run some power tools if needed, but obviously, since it is only 2.5 gallons it can’t do a lot in the power tool department. Overall, it’s a great compressor for small uses around the house.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

See here for more.... I am very happy with my Porter Cable tank and Goodyear rubber hose setup. But.... if you want to run an air impact gun, this tank is too small.... I tried it... but that is OK with me.
Regarding loudness.... the two cheapie battery operated compressors I had were louder than the Porer Cable tank compressor.... but, there is way enough air in the tank to fill your tires so you can hit the ON button when you leave. The compressor is not loud but it is not a quiet hummer either..... we need more quiet hummers for all of us.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ompressor.html

For impact gun use, my battery operated Porer Cable does really well... see my vid below... (I have since purchased real impact sockets...)

Peace
Bruce in Philly

BTW, the fashion consious may recognize those $35 WallyWorld steel-toe work boots... fabulous and comfortable.

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-19-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:56 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by semicycler
Use the partially loaded numbers for better handling. It's for one or two people without luggage. The fully loaded targets are for when all seats in the car are occupied and the frunk is full.

Bruce had a good thread a while back with the same compressor question. I'm on mobile and can't find the link. Somebody will post it I'm sure.
Went into the tire information and it did have it set for fully loaded. Changed it to partially loaded. RJ
Old 11-19-2017, 02:32 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Some confusion with partial vs full is common. Choose either partially or fully loaded pressure targets depending upon your driving habits. Then set your tire pressures to those targets AND set the TPM settings on the steering wheel lever (on board computer?) too. This lets the car know what targets your tires are supposed to be set at and will warn if the pressure is too low.

Now with that said, the TPM system can throw warnings at the wrong time. Sometimes people set their pressures to the full load but tell the TPM system they are using the lower partial load targets. This fools the TPM system into thinking the targets are lower and stops nagging about low pressures when the tires are fine. The opposite scenario causes excessive warnings - using the lower partial targets in the tires but telling the TPM system to monitor for the higher full load targets. And of course you can use whatever physical pressure targets you want, the partial/full numbers are Porsche suggestions. On the track it's common to start much lower and bleed off air as the tires heat up. It's also common to code the car with Durametric or PIWIS to disable the TPM system.

The other TPM issue I've seen is when the physical pressure in the tires match the targets on the computer but the computer thinks a previously flat tire is still flat. In those cases you need to over-inflate the previously flat tire (after repair of course) and let the computer reset. Then bleed off the air until it's at the target.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:38 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
I have a 10 gal air compressor in my garage, but dragging the rubber hose is a bit awkward. I recently picked up at Target an “Air Hawk Pro cordless tire inflator” works amazingly well. Same form factor as a power drill and has no cables
Did you have to buy any additional accessories or is it ready to go as is? RJ
Old 11-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
@Hatzenbach

I have been thinking about the Air Hawk - can you tell me if the battery is enough to inflate all 4 tires ? just to bring it back up to my setting

also have you used it on a SUV ?

thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Bradinthe56
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 10 gal Hitachi, but thing almost any make in the size/configuration that fits space available will work. Also, Harbor Freight has a nice spring loaded reel that can be mounted on the wall or ceiling. With a 50’ hose I think the cost was around $80 when I got mine.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:52 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Louis de Funes
@Hatzenbach

I have been thinking about the Air Hawk - can you tell me if the battery is enough to inflate all 4 tires ? just to bring it back up to my setting

also have you used it on a SUV ?

thanks
Don't know for sure. I checked it out on Amazon and saw on there, or read someplace else, that it easily could. Ordered one.

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-19-2017, 07:35 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

I've got one of those Porter Cable 'pancake' style compressors, along with a 10' rubber hose and a Milton inflator chuck.

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

I also have a Park shop inflator for Presta valves on the bicycles.

Amazon Amazon

Lately I've used a Ryobi cordless inflator for seasonal temp change pressure drops. They had this for $79 back in October, and might likely have it on sale during the Holiday season. It's good enough to handle a few pounds increase for all four tires in my Cayenne. It's not as fast as using the pancake but it's a lot more convenient.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...P128/300608887
Old 11-19-2017, 09:10 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you value quiet operation, get one of these. I've used the mentioned pancakes before and this is like a whisper in comparison.
https://www.rolair.com/products/air-...carry/jc10plus
Old 11-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 231 Posts

Use a $25 bike pump. Worked for me for 20 years. Plus look at all those calories burned.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Kobalt dual power inflator works great for me

Quick Reply: Using a home portable compressor for tire inflation? Which one?