FYI: Lug Bolt Key Cost? Well, howzabout $42.56

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017 | 02:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default FYI: Lug Bolt Key Cost? Well, howzabout $42.56

2009 C2S 120K miles

So I set up to replace the spark plugs, belt, filters, wipers.... and suprise!!! No lug key. Crap. Man, this has been a rough months for mechanical things and me. I had the key out on my seat when I dropped the car off at the dealer's place for a clutch replacement.... now no key. I spoke to the tech who worked on my car and said he did not touch it as he didn't need it. I think what happended, is I had a bunch of garbage on the seat... lunch etc... from being out doing photograhy and I scooped it all up and tossed it out. I would like to blame the dealership but I can be pretty boneheaded.

So you have to bring the car to the dealership and the tech has a master key set to match it up with and obtain the code.... then over to parts and place an order where they did give me a PCA discount. Porsche now has three warehouses now, Easton PA, Atlanta GA, and somewhere in CA. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Soooo, tunup next weekend.

Bonus Question: I read somewhere that you are not supposed to use impact wrenches on these lug keys.... true?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-18-2017 | 03:50 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 120K miles

So I set up to replace the spark plugs, belt, filters, wipers.... and suprise!!! No lug key. Crap. Man, this has been a rough months for mechanical things and me. I had the key out on my seat when I dropped the car off at the dealer's place for a clutch replacement.... now no key. I spoke to the tech who worked on my car and said he did not touch it as he didn't need it. I think what happended, is I had a bunch of garbage on the seat... lunch etc... from being out doing photograhy and I scooped it all up and tossed it out. I would like to blame the dealership but I can be pretty boneheaded.

So you have to bring the car to the dealership and the tech has a master key set to match it up with and obtain the code.... then over to parts and place an order where they did give me a PCA discount. Porsche now has three warehouses now, Easton PA, Atlanta GA, and somewhere in CA. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Soooo, tunup next weekend.

Bonus Question: I read somewhere that you are not supposed to use impact wrenches on these lug keys.... true?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
FYI - Suncoast has a complete set of 4 bolts and key for $67. I've read reports of the McGard aftermarket bolts suffering from the key head breaking off when attached with an impact wrench. Maybe just an urban myth.
Old 11-19-2017 | 05:18 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Remove the locks and never deal with this issue again. The only people locking wheel lugs deter from removing the wheels are the owners! Thieves will use a portable impact gun and a socket like a Gator Grip with the pins that go into the pattern of the lock and just spin them out. I have a few OEM lug bolts leftover from when I converted my cars over to the World Motorsports Ti Lugs and can send you 4 if you'd like.
Old 11-19-2017 | 12:05 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanx man, but I will pass. The key is on order. Honestly I didn't think of asking anyone here or checking eBay.... lotsa used sets there.

I was in a panic to get my needed part for my tuneup thanxgiving weekend coming up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: FYI: Lug Bolt Key Cost? Well, howzabout $42.56