Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you CA guys putting on a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the US Millworks tow-hook solution for a few years still sitting in the package awaiting a ticket prior to install. For inspection purposes, I'd usually just zip tie the plate in front of a radiator for the short drive to the inspection station. At the last one, the mechanic tells me it won't work this time because the state, MA, requires it to be bolted to the car. And, they have to take a picture of it bolted to the car and submit that. So, I run home and assemble the US Millworks holder, great quality BTW, in about 5 minutes and drive back and get the inspection done. The holder just spins off the car, and I can reinstall the bumper plug.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:55 AM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In my home province no front plate is required, and I am very thankful for that on the 911 and Boxster. Even the Cayenne looks better IMHO. Every so often you read an article that the Cops want to bring them back, they were dropped back in the 70s as a cost saving measure. Not sure what I would do if they do come back, I think it would depend on what the fines were, and if the parking folks would be able to ticket you.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:58 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
I'm actually surprised California, especially being the most populous state, doesn't ditch the front plate for the cost savings alone (probably because the ticket revenue supersedes the manufacturing/material cost savings ). Many states do not require front plates. Motorcycles don't require them, so why should cars? It really is a dumb antiquated law.
It's either lift weights or stamp out plates - have to have something to keep the prisoners busy with. Eliminate the front plate and you've cut the workload by 50%.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:50 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Came from the dealer with the front plate mounted. Of course, I had to replace it with

Last edited by cringely; 11-20-2017 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My friend had at least 3 tickets in Los Angeles for not putting a front plate on his Cayman.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:18 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have front plates on all my cars. Dont need the pull over for the officer to go fishing.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:40 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got another $121 no front plate ticket in San Francisco today

Will install my tow hook mount front plate adapter and stop by the police station to show it's there and clear up the fix-it ticket
Old 11-21-2017, 10:09 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I have front plates on my DD's now. In today's society, the police work to generate as much money as possible to supplement their ever-shrinking budgets. I pay more than my fare share already. Additionally, I do not want to give anyone the right to look in my car - believe me I am 100% legal, but I believe in and support the 4th Amendment. Additionally, cops have much better things to do than run around writing no front plate tickets. They need to be out there actually going after the thugs in society that ruin society for the law abiding citizens like us.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:25 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Op. Not sure where you live or if you are new to Ca so asking the question. I find in OC and SD County you will not have a problem with no front plate as long as you are not asking for trouble. Certainly if you get caught speeding etc they may add that on but just for that, no.

Those poor folks that live in LA County is another story. Every meter maid in town will write you a ticket. Just stupid. When I do have to drive into that County I usually try to find a parking lot or garage and not use street metered parking.

End of the day to me a front plate is a perfect way to make a beautiful car ugly as sin. Only my opinion of course.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:56 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Op. Not sure where you live or if you are new to Ca so asking the question. I find in OC and SD County you will not have a problem with no front plate as long as you are not asking for trouble. Certainly if you get caught speeding etc they may add that on but just for that, no.

Those poor folks that live in LA County is another story. Every meter maid in town will write you a ticket. Just stupid. When I do have to drive into that County I usually try to find a parking lot or garage and not use street metered parking.

End of the day to me a front plate is a perfect way to make a beautiful car ugly as sin. Only my opinion of course.
Thanks. Good info. Riverside County and been in CA over 40 years. First Porsche though. RJ
Old 11-21-2017, 11:06 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Thanks. Good info. Riverside County and been in CA over 40 years. First Porsche though. RJ
Oh crap, you are in luck. Riverside county cares even less. Go with no plate in confidence.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
End of the day to me a front plate is a perfect way to make a beautiful car ugly as sin.
Agree...but as I've gotten older I don't worry about what others think when they look at the front end of my car and I only see the "blemish" created by the plate when I'm not driving so not that big a deal for me. I just don't want to give the officers a reason to pull me over. When that happens usually end up on the shoulder of the road where all the debris and nails hang out.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:48 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default No Way on the tow hook alternative!

Originally Posted by secondshot
I live in DC and they require a front plate. After asking the same question and deciding that i didn't want my car towed, i did a ton of research. This is what i settled on and it was a perfect solution for me. Easy install, no holes in bumper and very secure fit, that doesn't touch the paint.

https://skenebrackets.com/index.shtml

No affiliation.
Thanks, Secondshot. I like this solution... better. Still... gotta drill! Sucks. I live in MD and this state requires front tags as well. I was in the dealership in July and asked about the tow hook method. The parts guy said he would sell it to me, but totally advised against it. Said one tap to the tag holder by you or another car and the tow hook threads are buggered forever, and the actual tow hook will not screw in and the car cannot be placed on a tow truck! Said put the tag in the frunk and tell the nice officer that you were going to get the tag holder "tomorrow" as time got away from you. I have been driving it for over 4k miles now, through toll booths, etc. with the front tag placed in the frunk and haven't gotten a eye brow raised yet. So, that's MY story. No screw-in tag holder for me!
Old 11-23-2017, 03:58 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Ventura County just doesn’t care.....all three of my cars are front plate-less. When I go to LA or LAX, I just put the front plant on the dash and no issues.

Kalifornia is looking for every $$, but like I said, they gotta catch me first...going on 35 years!
Old 11-27-2017, 05:02 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Live in Pasadena. Gotten two tickets in first 6 months for no front plate. I don't know how you guys have the time/patience to deal with the fix-it tickets.

Bought a two hitch mount, but quickly realized this is a permanent temporary fix. You still are wearing a front plate (which could easily be removed by someone).

Picking up my next 911 this weekend, and it will have an OEM front plate bracket installed.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Are you CA guys putting on a front license plate?