Sponsored by:

Engine compartment fan is on a lot

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 10:57 PM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Engine compartment fan is on a lot

So I don't know if this is new or if I'm just neurotic, but my engine compartment fan seems to be on a lot. I just changed my battery, and it's running most of the time. My engine oil temp seems low too. Like even when I drive hard, it doesn't get to 200, and then it cools to around 180-185 (hard to tell) when I get to a stoplight. What gives?

Is there a known issue on the switch or anything? 2009 C2. Totally stock.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:31 PM
jdgamble
Racer

Just started my car after sitting for over an hour in 55 deg weather and the fan came on after about a minute.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:38 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

doesnt sound right. Mine stays on if its really hot after I park it, but never unless its really hot
Old 11-13-2017, 12:06 AM
jdgamble
Racer

This is after 20 minutes of driving... the last 10 of which were pretty hard driving
Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I'm guessing your oil temp sender may not be working right. I have a .1, but my oil temp even with a deep sump and center front radiator would be at 210 or 220 after an extended hard drive so it seems unlikely you'd only be at 180 from your description. The engine compartment temp sensor that activates the cooling fan may be working right and things are warmer than your oil temp gauge is leading you to believe.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:17 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't make my engine compartment fans run. They ran when I first bought the car new (2012 C2S) but haven't run in a long time. Dealer checked and says the controls are fine and fans run properly.

I realize this is no help, but it sounds like the thermostats that turn on the fans are set all over the spectrum.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:53 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Okay, I’m gonna give a partially educated guess. You are running a water cooled car and the coolant, by extension helps cool the oil. I do not know for certain in a Porsche, but in an Audi the engine fan is triggered when the ECU senses the engine temperature rising for a reason it is not programmed to figure out (e.g no warning light for low coolant, etc.). The fan acts as a back-up and supplement to coolant. Now, back to Porsche, if your fan is running constantly, this may explain the lower oil temperature as the fan, in cooling the engine, cools the oil as well.

But the question remains, why is the fan running more than usual? This is just a wild guess, but could it be that the water pump is beginning to fail. That is, coolant circulation perhaps is slightly compromised and this is triggering the ECU to run the fan? This is what happened in my Audi. I noticed the fan running an inordinate amount, yet the engine temp never budged (no oil temp gauge or dispay in My Audi’s systems interface). This went for about a month until the water pump totally went.

Just out of curiosity, try running the heat full blast at the highest temperature setting. This is an old trick used by people who live in the desert southwest when their cars would begin to run hot in the intense heat. The heater is a heat exchanger so it will pull excess heat out of the engine. See if this will keep the fan from running as often as it does. If this works, and the fan runs less, it may support the idea of a bad water pump. Basically, you are using your heater as a cooling fan as opposed to using the one in the engine. Again, using my Audi as a data point, when the water pump failed, the engine temperature jumped to just shy of the red zone very quickly. By turning on the heater to max the temperature gauge returned to a normal reading in about 2 minutes. Additionally, the fans did not run when the heater was on (parked), but as soon as I turned the car off, because there was no way to vent the heat (the coolant not circulating and being over-cooked), the fans activated.

I have no idea if this is your issue, but as you described it, well, it could have been my Audi that you were talking about. I do hope you solve the problem. The constant running of fans drove me nuts (in the Audi). I knew something was amiss, but it didn’t click untill the water pump failed.

Good luck and do post the solution once you figure it out.

Trending Topics

Old 11-13-2017, 08:40 PM
jdgamble
Racer

Interesting thoughts. I started my car this AM. Dead cold. Fan came on when the engine compartment was still cool. The manual says this is totally engine compartment temp that triggers the fan. I talked to my dealer. I'll have them take a look.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 PM
monster1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi JD - I had a similar problem with my engine compartment fan coming on early and staying on long after the car had been stopped.

I eventually traced it to the engine temperature sensor on the right hand side of the engine (as you look into the engine compartment) - the sensor had come adrift from its position and was hanging loose near the exhaust manifold (headers) and thus reading a far hotter temp than normal and calling for the fans continuously.

a few seconds spent securing it back in its location and the car has been fine ever since!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:02 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I think you’re IMS bearing could be missing.....OK, not helpful.

I had this on my .1 (fan running nearly all the time) after about 3 months of ownership. The dealer replaced the temp sensor (located between the intake manifold runners on the passenger side) and no problem for nearly 10 years. After putting in the Fisters with the ceramic coating I’ve heard the fan on once after a track session in 95+F ambient day.

Quick Reply: Engine compartment fan is on a lot