Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who runs LSD's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017 | 12:36 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Default Who runs LSD's?

Been having a LOT of fun playing with traction limits in the new 997.1. No DE yet, so gotta contend with public roads...simply can't believe how great this car is!!!

Only thing I think it's missing: LSD. Inside wheel does a lot more spinning than I'd prefer. Love to have more of that Champion-modded flat-6 power drive both wheels.

Who has gone from OEM open diff to LSD? What do you run? Advice? (driving advice accepted too!)
Old 11-11-2017 | 07:16 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

I don't have any first hand experience but Wavetrac is popular option. I spoke with a DE guy today who loves it in his 997.1. He said it was really noticeable on long sweeping corners, car felt really planted.

GT Guard Transmission is supposedly the top-dog option.

There's also Quaife which I haven't read much on but I assumed it is the factory option unit.

And there's OS Giken which has had some mixed reviews although some (all?) of that was vendor driven drama.
Old 11-11-2017 | 07:42 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I have the factory LSD on my 996, and compared to other RWD Porsche’s I’ve driven, it’s quite a bit different with the LSD. I cannot get the rear tires to slip with the LSD, even under extreme acceleration in 1st or 2nd gear and even while turning. The rear end feels quite planted on the street and the track.
Old 11-11-2017 | 10:29 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

I think LSD’s are less of a necessity for our rear engined cars than the are for FWD and Front engined/RwD cars. If you have the ability to adjust your suspension you can tune out a lot of the inside rear wheel spin, then you just need to have a sensitive right foot. That being said an LSD would be really nice, but there are a lot of more important things to do with these cars before spending that much coin on one item.

Last edited by ColoradoMark; 11-11-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-12-2017 | 08:27 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
I think LSD’s are less of a necessity for our rear engined cars than the are for FWD and Front engined/RwD cars. If you have the ability to adjust your suspension you can tune out a lot of the inside rear wheel spin, then you just need to have a sensitive right foot. That being said an LSD would be really nice, but there are a lot of more important things to do with these cars before spending that much coin on one item.
This. I thought it was crazy that the greatest sports car manufacturer didn't include LSD standard, particularly in the S. I track and autocross my car regularly and have ONCE experienced tire spin. On an autox, and I'll admit I wasn't being smooth.
Old 11-12-2017 | 11:35 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

my car came with one from the factory. Came with PASM Sport suspension. I don't have enough seat time in 911s without LSD to comment.

That was one of the considerations I made when purchasing. Didn't want to have to do a single thing to the car besides add tires in order to get something that was "done". So PASM Sport was an absolute requirement. I went off the deep end with my last car and modding so this car was the fix to keep that from happening from the beginning.
Old 11-12-2017 | 01:34 PM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Is LSD part of PASM? Does PASM activate the LSD? Is an LSD in a 911 something that turns on and off with PASM? I thought it was just a viscosity issue (but that shows my technical knowledge:-)). Mine has PASM, but since it has GT3 RS suspension, it's already stiff enough on public roads, and I haven't turned it on much yet. Maybe mine already has an LSD!--? I'll play with it and find out today, but would love to learn more from you expert RL'ers...
Thanks!!!
Old 11-12-2017 | 01:48 PM
Jack667
Drifting

I have a Guard TBD LSD in my whip. I put it in soon after I bought the car in 2010 so I don't have much to compare it to. Sorry to not have much to add of value, other than that it seems to be working fine and hasn't given me any trouble. It's a 2006 C2S and the LSD has about 70k miles on it and a bunch of track days...
Old 11-12-2017 | 02:06 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

LSD comes with Sport PASM (or PASM Sport). AKA SPASM.

It's not the same as PASM. The LSD is there, it's not deactivated or activated. It's mechanical so you can't deactivate it.
Old 11-12-2017 | 06:05 PM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fined
LSD comes with Sport PASM (or PASM Sport). AKA SPASM.

It's not the same as PASM. The LSD is there, it's not deactivated or activated. It's mechanical so you can't deactivate it.
Got it. That makes sense. Thank you! Mine does not have one for sure. Time to get smoother and later on the throttle!
Old 11-12-2017 | 06:08 PM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fined
my car came with one from the factory. Came with PASM Sport suspension. I don't have enough seat time in 911s without LSD to comment.

That was one of the considerations I made when purchasing. Didn't want to have to do a single thing to the car besides add tires in order to get something that was "done". So PASM Sport was an absolute requirement. I went off the deep end with my last car and modding so this car was the fix to keep that from happening from the beginning.
Now I understand the difference between PASM and SPASM. I literally thought people were writing SPASM to be tongue in cheek!

thanks!
Old 11-12-2017 | 09:33 PM
DC911S
Drifting

The 997.2 C4S come with the LSD standard. Same for the GT3, but the plates and discs can wear out and then need replaced after heavy track use. A helical or gear driven one won’t wear out. You must be very careful about if you add one, the lash and clearances must be set exactly or you can destroy your tranny. It’s best left to a shop that knows how to do it properly, you don’t just unbox it and throw it in there.
Old 11-12-2017 | 10:49 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

FYI 997.1 and .2 have different transmissions and different LSDs
Old 11-13-2017 | 12:42 AM
Presto
Pro

Can an lsd be added to a pdk? I’m guessing not ?
Has anyone done it? Quaife, guards, os giken etc don’t show anything for pdk.
Old 11-13-2017 | 05:43 PM
JF22
Advanced

^^ https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...dk-review.html

Quick Reply: Who runs LSD's?