Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell car before or after maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017 | 02:18 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by groovzilla
i totally disagree - making the car "right" and replacing unknown IMS bearing or having service completed shows due diligence and seller will recoup most of their investment provided they have an indy mechanic and not a stealer do the work. this is not about profit.
if u want profit go sell some weed.

well sported cars attract more buyers and get a premium because there are no stories. thats what RL is all about
That’s an interesting attitude. I applaud your altruism but I’m sorry to say I won’t be hiring you as my financial advisor. But it shows that we really live in the land of opportunity when someone that free with money can still afford to own a Porsche. God bless America!

If you’re into giving away your cash to improve someone else’s car, I have a service coming up. I’ll be happy to send you the invoice.
Old 11-17-2017 | 02:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
T

If you’re into giving away your cash to improve someone else’s car, I have a service coming up. I’ll be happy to send you the invoice.
But then you'd have to sell it to him - see the difference? On one hand the buyer is essentially paying the seller to have this work done because the buyer is going to be the owner of the car. In your scenario, he's just giving you money.
Old 11-17-2017 | 02:58 PM
bliq00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Redline911
I've owned my 2005 C2 for 5 years now, it's been great but I'm ready to experience something different. Here's the question I'm kicking around. Car just hit 60k miles and is on the original IMS, so should I list car with a price in mind that new owner will handle service/IMS? Or should I have the service and IMS done and list the car at a higher price?

Personally I'd want to buy the car cheaper and get the work done so I can use my shop, and choose exactly what to do. My feeling is that's not the general consensus though and people want turn-key ready to go.

Thoughts?
are you sure you don't have the updated IMS? the switch was done midyear if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-17-2017 | 03:03 PM
bliq00
Instructor

Originally Posted by DC911S
Thats true too, but consider what happens if you sell a car with the IMS risk and at least don't mention it and they don't know anything about it, and it grenades. Thats going to get messy. If I was selling to a private party I would mention the IMS upfront as not being done. If you sell to Carmax or a dealer, then sure, just drop it off. Let them deal with it. Read the 996 and 997.1 comments and ads on Barnfinds and bring a trailer, within two comments its mentioned. Good ads say up front what the situation is.
Why would it get messy? Just don't sell it to family or friends. It's sold as is, where is. once you've signed the bill of sale and title over, it's no longer your responsibility unless you want to be kind hearted. No point in giving a buyer more reason to low ball you. There's no problem now, and it's not your responsibility to make sure a buyer does research.
Old 11-17-2017 | 06:09 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petza914
But then you'd have to sell it to him - see the difference? On one hand the buyer is essentially paying the seller to have this work done because the buyer is going to be the owner of the car. In your scenario, he's just giving you money.
No, he says it’s ok to pay for service then not recoup the cost of that service at the sale. If he pays $500 to have a service done, then gets only $400 more for the car, then he’s reduced his net by $100. No matter what he pays for the service, if the sales price doesn’t increase by at least that much, then it’s a net loss for the seller. Zero benefit to the seller and a $100 negative return on his money, $100 free money for the buyer.

That at doesn’t even count the time and effort he spent having the work done.

If if I sell my 997 for a million Dollars, that’s sounds great until I mention that I put $1.1 million in gold in the frunk. Then it turns out I’ve made a terrible business decision.

It is almost literally pissing money away.

Quick Reply: Sell car before or after maintenance?