Sponsored by:

First rain in the 997s...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First rain in the 997s...

...and one must be delicate with the right foot with PSM-Granny on! Oh what fun, though!!!

Question for you guys and gals: is there a way to run the defrost without it being 900 degrees inside the car?

I tried to turn the temp control down but the defrost seems to override the temp. The German engineers are EFFICIENT at getting my windshield visible, but I want to keep my skin on my body in the process.

(it's really not that hot, I'd just rather have cool air out the vents and defrost still running.) Possible?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2017, 11:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Chirofirst

Question for you guys and gals: is there a way to run the defrost without it being 900 degrees inside the car?

I tried to turn the temp control down but the defrost seems to override the temp. The German engineers are EFFICIENT at getting my windshield visible, but I want to keep my skin on my body in the process.

(it's really not that hot, I'd just rather have cool air out the vents and defrost still running.) Possible?

Thanks!

Turn the AC on. The AC dries the air and should be used year-round.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:48 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

^^^ The AC is your dehumidifier
Old 11-04-2017, 12:18 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

^^So, AC on but defrost off? I know the condenser will dehumidify. Do you guys blast the defrost briefly then just run AC?

Thank you!
Old 11-04-2017, 01:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

^^So, AC on but defrost off? I know the condenser will dehumidify. Do you guys blast the defrost briefly then just run AC?

Thank you!
Precisely. Simply turn on the A/C and run the defrost long enough to clear the windshield, and then simply back to A/C alone.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:41 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Precisely. Simply turn on the A/C and run the defrost long enough to clear the windshield, and then simply back to A/C alone.
Perfect. thank you!
Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, the A/C is a critical part of the defogging system. IF its humid/cold enough for condensation on the inside of the windscreen, then run with the A/C on and set the temp to what you want it to be inside the car. Then turn on the defrost mode (which directs maximum airflow at warmest temp straight to the windscreen to get it clear as quick as possible). Once the window is cleared of condensation on the inside, then turn off the defrost, and the normal a/c ventilation set to the desired temp will keep it clear. The defrost mode is only there (in these cars) to get that inside windscreen clear as quick as possible, but not meant for normal operating state.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Blaine 997
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...and one must be delicate with the right foot with PSM-Granny on! Oh what fun, though!!!

Thanks!
Thanks for asking the question, i’ve been wondering the same thing since I bought my 997.1 11 months ago.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:08 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Originally Posted by Minok
Yeah, the A/C is a critical part of the defogging system. IF its humid/cold enough for condensation on the inside of the windscreen, then run with the A/C on and set the temp to what you want it to be inside the car. Then turn on the defrost mode (which directs maximum airflow at warmest temp straight to the windscreen to get it clear as quick as possible). Once the window is cleared of condensation on the inside, then turn off the defrost, and the normal a/c ventilation set to the desired temp will keep it clear. The defrost mode is only there (in these cars) to get that inside windscreen clear as quick as possible, but not meant for normal operating state.
Perfect. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Jlewis1436
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to add, if you have the "econo" button on the HVAC on, this will turn the AC off, thus making the temps difficult to control and run into the issue you were having. It's kinda a strange system that the AC seem to be on no mater what the temp lol.

I found out in the middle of a back mountain road rally, in the rain of course. Man, I should read the manual better when I buy cars LOL!!!!
Old 11-11-2017, 04:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlewis1436
Just to add, if you have the "econo" button on the HVAC on, this will turn the AC off, thus making the temps difficult to control and run into the issue you were having. It's kinda a strange system that the AC seem to be on no mater what the temp lol.

I found out in the middle of a back mountain road rally, in the rain of course. Man, I should read the manual better when I buy cars LOL!!!!
That button simply means the AC compressor is off - thus no AC.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
That button simply means the AC compressor is off - thus no AC.
Yeah, I've always had an un-natural aversion to having the compressor on; dunno whether it's just power drain or economy...especially when it's cold out!

I'll just have to suck it up and not be such a P***y and enjoy the car!!!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:09 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

...the AC on technique combined with heater also helped me in my Tundra earlier this evening...can't believe I've waited this long to discover it. Thanks Edgy 01!

Quick Reply: First rain in the 997s...