Sponsored by:

Adding oem navigation to 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 12:01 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding oem navigation to 997.1

Can I purchase navigation player on eBay to install in 2007 997 and what issues might I run into with installation?

My car is 2007 C4S with pcm 2.1. Will I need a bracket for installation of player? Can anyone provide me with picture of an oem installed navigation player?

Many thanks!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by johzev
Can I purchase navigation player on eBay to install in 2007 997 and what issues might I run into with installation?

My car is 2007 C4S with pcm 2.1. Will I need a bracket for installation of player? Can anyone provide me with picture of an oem installed navigation player?

Many thanks!
Out of curiosity:
Why would you want to add it? The nav system is terribly outdated. There are options that allow you to have bluetooth, CarPlay/Android Auto, etc....
Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 PM
mechanic wanabe
Rennlist Member

Hi all,

I have the same sort of question, but with a bit of a twist. I just ordered the aftermarket installation kit for a 2DIN unit from Suncoast (https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/EMSRA.html).

I have the non Bose standard sound package. I am thinking of one of the Pioneer NAV units and am wondering if anyone has done this and if there is any common wisdom. My understanding is that a NAV/audio head unit (with touch, bluetooth streaming etc.) will connect to the existing electricals. No other hardware is needed. I will simply turn the thing on and will have 2017 electronics.

1. Is my understanding correct?
2. What head unit looks/functions the best?
3. Is there a market for the old PCM1, or best to hang on to it when the car is sold.

Can't wait to see some pictures.

Brent

2005 C2S
IMS
SSK
Old 10-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
Out of curiosity:
Why would you want to add it? The nav system is terribly outdated. There are options that allow you to have bluetooth, CarPlay/Android Auto, etc....
Same curiosity here. I have a $100 Tranzit-Blu HF in mine, stream GPS commands from my iPhone. Same in my Vette which has an aftermarket head unit with BT but no nav. We have a late-model Merc E-Class with factory nav but never use it, prefer to stream from phones. Unless the head unit has a touchscreen, inputting addresses is a slow PITA. With the phone it can be done with Siri, plus I don't need to buy updates, and when I park I can just drop a pin and it will walk me back to ghe car.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:48 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Seeing navigation players on eBay for about $200. Thinking it would be nice to have the navigation screen operational. Can always use I phone for backup. I already have the Denison blue tooth for handsfree and streaming Pandora.
997 is new to me. Replaced BMW 650i as DD. Not quite as comfortable but a hell of lot more exciting to drive!

I’m thinking I could purchase a nav player on eBay, install in frunk to pre existing wiring harness and then I woul need to have PCM reprogrammed at Dealer to recognize player. Does this sound like it would work for me? I get that it’s old tech.

Would love to see picture of navigation player i the frunk of a 997 that has oem system!

Thank you,

Doe
Old 11-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

it looks just like the cd changer, but beware that the 4wd cars use a vertical mount unit and its a different part number
Old 11-12-2017, 05:56 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Is it just a matter of getting the correct bracket? Is the player the same? My 997 is C4S.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Lip
Intermediate

My car came with Nav and Bose. My thought was that I was going to keep it stock and add the Denson kit, and then I saw the cost. I recently upgraded to an Alpine ilx207. The unit uses your phone for Nav and has Waze. Works with iOS or Android. Overall pleased. The original system was ok unless you tried to enter an address...oh and it didn’t have Bluetooth, etc.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by johzev
Is it just a matter of getting the correct bracket? Is the player the same? My 997 is C4S.
I dont believe so. I believe they are different in some way
Old 11-13-2017, 09:05 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Thank you Quadcammer. You more than likely saved me from a real headache!

Quick Reply: Adding oem navigation to 997.1