Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 01:03 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rednerrus
What's up everyone. I just bought this unit, but haven't had time to install it yet.
I have a a cd changer and bose. My 997 also has Tooki and OP-P (yeah you know me!) Installed. Will this make my install easier or harder?
Im not planning on keeping the Tookie and OP-P (yeah you know me!).
With CD changer and Bose you should be set. Im not sure about the Tooki. If its already spliced in the fiber loop, then yes. You can just remove the clip on the end of the fiber cable that goes to the tooki and plug it into the new module.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:08 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Can anyone please tell me if there is some kind of indicator that would confirm is the unit is powered, like a light or something? Im not quite sure if my splicing worked or not. Im still getting the "no amp" message as well.
Yes you should see two lights in the back of the unit. One is power, the other is bluetooth.

Where did you tap the power? I tapped the aux power socket in the passenger footwell.

If you arent seeing the power lights you likely didn't press the metal clip down hard enough when tapping the power line. I did this the first time. You need to press the metal clip flush with the plastic housing.

Your phone will immediately find "CarKit" when its powered up.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:17 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Yes you should see two lights in the back of the unit. One is power, the other is bluetooth.

Where did you tap the power? I tapped the aux power socket in the passenger footwell.

If you arent seeing the power lights you likely didn't press the metal clip down hard enough when tapping the power line. I did this the first time. You need to press the metal clip flush with the plastic housing.

Ya Im not seeing the lights. I tapped the same wires that the the previous owner tapped for the Tooki and NavTV OP modules; a brown wire and a red and green wire. I need to splice it better i guess. I will try in the morning. Thanks A lot.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 668 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by T.Hasse
Hi guys, new to this forum, but enjoying the great stuff in here.

TheBruce: could you plz tell me your setup before installation.
Did you have telephone and handset installed before LaPower installation?
Did you activate or deactivate anything in PCM?

Reason I ask: I had the telephone modul installed in my Cayenne, and my iPhone didn’t connect with PCM-Tel (could make calls, but didn’t show in PCM). It did also connect with music-streaming, without any issues. I then disconnected the phone-modul, made a loop on the fiber-cable, and connected iPhone again with bluetooth. The IPhone came alive in the PCM, and is now showing as you described, BUT the PCM startup-screen now shows Phone-modul not active, which I have to confirm -and I can’t create contacts in PCM-TEL.

I can use MFSTW and the streaming is awesome, both talk and music, but would like the startup-screen to start “normal” without errors👍🏽

Bonus info: You can several bluetooth-parts -I have IPad mini and two iPhones connected at the same time.

Looking forward to your reply👌🏽😊
Can anyone help this gent? His post was hidden for some strange reason.

cheers,
robb
Old 11-13-2017, 08:16 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Robb M.
Can anyone help this gent? His post was hidden for some strange reason.

cheers,
robb
Im not totally following this post. Let me see if we can confirm some details.

TheBruce: could you plz tell me your setup before installation.
Did you have telephone and handset installed before LaPower installation?
Did you activate or deactivate anything in PCM?
I did not have the factory Tel module installed on my PCM prior to installing the LaPower unit. Previously if I clicked the Tel menu it would just say "telephone module not present" or something like it. As soon as I added the LaPower unit the Tel menu became active and a new row in my PCM main screen was added showing my iPhone name and signal strength.

In conclusion, it just worked.

Reason I ask: I had the telephone modul installed in my Cayenne, and my iPhone didn’t connect with PCM-Tel (could make calls, but didn’t show in PCM). It did also connect with music-streaming, without any issues. I then disconnected the phone-modul, made a loop on the fiber-cable, and connected iPhone again with bluetooth. The IPhone came alive in the PCM, and is now showing as you described, BUT the PCM startup-screen now shows Phone-modul not active, which I have to confirm -and I can’t create contacts in PCM-TEL.
I dont understand the question/issue here. Have you installed the LaPower unit already?

Bonus info: You can several bluetooth-parts -I have IPad mini and two iPhones connected at the same time.
I haven't tried but I assume you can add multiple bluetooth devices. The pairing is controlled by your Phone/Ipad, not the LaPower module. If you bring your iPad into the car and open up the bluetooth settings you will see "CarKit" and just need to add it.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 PM
rednerrus
Advanced

I need help... So i decided to tap the wires the old fashioned way to make sure they are tapped, and i did it where the previous owner tapped the wires for the navtv/tooki.
I still dont see lights on the unit.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

I need help... So i decided to tap the wires the old fashioned way to make sure they are tapped, and i did it where the previous owner tapped the wires for the navtv/tooki.
I still dont see lights on the unit.
Did you solve the PSM, PASM errors? That sounds like a low battery. Same thing happened to me after I tested it too long.

Where did you tap the power? Send some pictures.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:57 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Did you solve the PSM, PASM errors? That sounds like a low battery. Same thing happened to me after I tested it too long.

Where did you tap the power? Send some pictures.
Ya I solved the PSM, PASM errors. I searched around and it turns out, this is normal after disconnecting the battery.

Now my PCM won't turn on at all. Did I **** up my wirings?!

This is where I tapped the power. The brown wire and the red/green wire on the left and right side of that white wire.
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2017, 01:54 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Ya I solved the PSM, PASM errors. I searched around and it turns out, this is normal after disconnecting the battery.

Now my PCM won't turn on at all. Did I **** up my wirings?!

This is where I tapped the power. The brown wire and the red/green wire on the left and right side of that white wire.
Yes, if the PCM isn't turning on you definitely ****ed up your wiring :-)

I suggest reversing your steps until the PCM powers up again. Remove the wires you tapped into the PCM power lines and disconnect the Lapower. If it works then you just crossed some wires when tapping it.

I tapped the aux power in the passenger footwell with the supplied quick taps and it worked fine. You just have to press the quick taps really hard.

Once you get the PCM working again I would try retapping the aux power with the clips provided.

Last edited by TheBruce; 11-14-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:43 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Yes, if the PCM isn't turning you definitely ****ed up your wiring :-)

I suggest reversing your steps until the PCM powers up again. Remove the wires you tapped into the PCM power lines and disconnect the Lapower. If it works then you just crossed some wires when tapping it.

I tapped the aux power in the passenger footwell with the supplied quick taps and it worked fine. You just have to press the quick taps really hard.

Once you get the PCM working again I would try retapping the aux power with the clips provided.
I hope I didn't do any permanent damage to the main harness/electrical system.
While I was tryin to tap the PCM power lines i accidentally touched the 2 wires and I saw sparks. Hopefully that didn't fry something. I will try to reverse the steps and see how it goes.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

I hope I didn't do any permanent damage to the main harness/electrical system.
While I was tryin to tap the PCM power lines i accidentally touched the 2 wires and I saw sparks. Hopefully that didn't fry something. I will try to reverse the steps and see how it goes.
Keep us posted. You can hold 148 on the PCM 2.1 keypad to reboot it.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:36 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 727 Posts

Generally when you see sparks the sparks stop sparking before you get the wires separated ... due to a blown fuse. I'd start at the fuse box.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:10 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Generally when you see sparks the sparks stop sparking before you get the wires separated ... due to a blown fuse. I'd start at the fuse box.
Anyone know which fuse WOULD be blown?
Im calling it a night and will work on it again tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:37 AM
T.Hasse
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bruce, Thanks for your reply -I will try to rewrite my questions and conclusion:

I did not have the factory Tel module installed on my PCM prior to installing the LaPower unit. Previously if I clicked the Tel menu it would just say "telephone module not present" or something like it. As soon as I added the LaPower unit the Tel menu became active and a new row in my PCM main screen was added showing my iPhone name and signal strength.

In conclusion, it just worked.
I dont understand the question/issue here. Have you installed the LaPower unit already?
Yes the LaPower is installed.

To begin with my setup was following: PCM 2.1 with single CD, TEL module under front passenger-seat, No CD-changer, bluetooth or other devices connected.

I then installed the LaPower unit, connecting all wires as subscribed. My iPhone connected fine with the LaPower, but iPhone didn´t show on the PCM -I could hear music ande transfer calls from iPhone to car speakers.
Becasue my iPhone didn´t show on PCM, I decided to disconnected the TEL-module, and make a wire loop with the fibre/optic cables from the TEL-module. Turned everything on again, and the iPhone now showed on the PCM with name and signal-strength as you described, BUT everytime I turn the car on, I have to confirm Phone-Modul not active on the PCM-screen!
Question: Do you think it will help to re-active or de-active TEL in PCM with coding??

I haven't tried but I assume you can add multiple bluetooth devices. The pairing is controlled by your Phone/Ipad, not the LaPower module. If you bring your iPad into the car and open up the bluetooth settings you will see "CarKit" and just need to add it.
This was not a question, but a conclusion:-) my iPad mini is already installed in the car, and the LaPower works great with multiple bluetooth devices connected:-)

Another question: When you receive or making a phone call in the car, which speakers are then active??
When I listen to music all speakers are active, but when I make or receive calls only the speaker at the passenger-footwell is active
Old 11-14-2017, 01:43 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

My guys worked for two weeks to sort mine out, the Blu-Tooth phone connection works but that is all, with the limited information in the instructions they did their best ... even brought in an aftermarket audio expert. Still the interface isn't recognizing the other functions.

They currently think if I can find another type (one with six dip switches) they might get that one to work.

Maybe I'll just look into maybe getting the Porsche AUX kit... more on my saga as it happens.

Motor On! (oh, wait that is for my MINIs...)

Die Welt ist flach

2005 997 H3.6

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?