Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Old 10-29-2017, 02:13 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Dension has the same issue with bluetooth. You are unable to see what the next song is, you just have the ability to skip forward.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

How much is Dension or Mobridge compared to these untested no-brand items? Why mess with something proven and tested items? I have mobridge and it's been very very solid, both in making calls via BT, as well as listening to music or even YouTube on my PCM, and mine is 6yrs old.

My recommendation, pick a trusted and true device and skip all the headaches.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:52 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alexb76
How much is Dension or Mobridge compared to these untested no-brand items? Why mess with something proven and tested items? I have mobridge and it's been very very solid, both in making calls via BT, as well as listening to music or even YouTube on my PCM, and mine is 6yrs old.

My recommendation, pick a trusted and true device and skip all the headaches.
Dension was ~$450. After updating software to recommended firmware by bumper plugs it has worked great.

But if this is less than 1/3rd the price and it seems you only lose iPod USB connectivity that may be a reasonable alternative if it is dependable.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kellen
Dension was ~$450. After updating software to recommended firmware by bumper plugs it has worked great.

But if this is less than 1/3rd the price and it seems you only lose iPod USB connectivity that may be a reasonable alternative if it is dependable.
How's the microphone? Does it have echo cancellation?
The following users liked this post:
gcthree (12-14-2019)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:10 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As far as I know it does not. I just moved the microphone to the upper panel with the sunroof and garage controls. Drilled a hole and securely mounted it so it sits up centered in the panel.

People can hear me fine but I have to remember to turn down the volume or they complain about an echo. The volume on microphone and speaker is adjustable, I just need to sit down and try them out.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kellen
As far as I know it does not. I just moved the microphone to the upper panel with the sunroof and garage controls. Drilled a hole and securely mounted it so it sits up centered in the panel.

People can hear me fine but I have to remember to turn down the volume or they complain about an echo. The volume on microphone and speaker is adjustable, I just need to sit down and try them out.
So that's a massive difference, I remember I had the same issue back in 2008 until a firmware update that completely fixed the echo issue. I am sure this device is a reverse engineering of Dension or similar unit offered cheaper but they can't hack the firmware/software as easily.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:49 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Dension 500BT is advertised at $640 I believe, so we are talking about about 1/5 the price. I bought mine for $148, you can email him and buy direct for $10 less.

You do not lose iPhone USB connectivity and charging. The only thing you lose is viewing playlists and song lists in the PCM, but that was always slow as crap anyway.

Re dependability, I just used mine for a 12hr roadtrip up the California coast with Wayne Smith and David Y today. Worked excellent except for one issue. It freaked out for a minute or two when I started the car with the USB cable plugged into my phone. I had to restart before it would reconnect. That hadn't happened before when starting the car with it connecting over Bluetooth. I will send a note to the seller and see what he says.

The other minor issue I have is a faint ground loop whine from the alternator, but thats likely from my installation. I only heard it when I accidentally had phone volume set too low so I had the PCM volume up too high. Once I turned the phone volume up I cant hear it anymore.

I think the issue is from using different ground for the bluetooth adapter and the PCM. I used the passenger footwell jack instead of tapping the power lines directly to the PCM.

Mic seems to work ok. I have mine clipped under my steering wheel and everyone says it sounds fine.

Last edited by TheBruce; 10-31-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:46 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi TheBruce,

Just wanted to confirm that the LaPower kit has everything needed to splice the BOSE optical line in.

Also, do they sell a version for those of us that don't have a cd changer? I'm guessing that answer is no since there would be nothing to emulate.

Before I put in my order just wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Last edited by Type_LT; 10-31-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:10 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Type_LT
Hi TheBruce,

Just wanted to confirm that the LaPower kit has everything needed to splice the BOSE optical line in.

Also, do they sell a version for those of us that don't have a cd changer? I'm guessing that answer is no since there would be nothing to emulate.

Before I put in my order just wanted to make sure.

Thanks
Yes it does. It has a connector where you can splice the two cables together. I didnt need to do this because I was able to use my previously spliced cables from my old Mobridge. I dont know the procedure to do this but you can likely find some Dension videos that show this, or it may also be included in the video they provided (I didn't watch that closely).

Can you clarify what you mean by "no CD changer". If you have PCM 2.1 you are ok. I dont have an external CD changer either, only the in dash one.

However if you mean the more retro looking Porsche "CDR24" stereo, I am not sure.

The sellers name is Ron Chan. You can email the seller at leica919@gmail.com. He has been very responsive with me. He also said he would give a discount if you ordered from him direct.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:09 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, Bruce

I have PCM2.1 with the single CD slot above the screen. I'd read on the sellers Amazon page that you need a "CD changer" which I believe is usually located in the frunk. I don't have a changer so was concerned it wouldn't work.

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Yes it does. It has a connector where you can splice the two cables together. I didnt need to do this because I was able to use my previously spliced cables from my old Mobridge. I dont know the procedure to do this but you can likely find some Dension videos that show this, or it may also be included in the video they provided (I didn't watch that closely).

Can you clarify what you mean by "no CD changer". If you have PCM 2.1 you are ok. I dont have an external CD changer either, only the in dash one.

However if you mean the more retro looking Porsche "CDR24" stereo, I am not sure.

The sellers name is Ron Chan. You can email the seller at leica919@gmail.com. He has been very responsive with me. He also said he would give a discount if you ordered from him direct.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:19 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad this is working out for those who have installed it! Myself I'm content with the Tranzit-BLU HF. It shows song title and caller ID on the PCM screen and the control button lets me skip to the next song. People tell me the call quality is excellent. Even though I had to replace it after 3 years (and I think it's because I wrapped the first one in foam and probably cooked it from retained heat) I'm still in for a fraction of the Dension, and the install was quick and simple.

Given the cost of a Dension or Mowbridge and the time it takes to install it, I would be inclined to just replace the PCM with a modern head unit and keep the original in case I ever sell the car and the new owner is a stickler for OEM.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:35 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Re dependability, I just used mine for a 12hr roadtrip up the California coast with Wayne Smith and David Y today. Worked excellent except for one issue. It freaked out for a minute or two when I started the car with the USB cable plugged into my phone. I had to restart before it would reconnect. That hadn't happened before when starting the car with it connecting over Bluetooth. I will send a note to the seller and see what he says.

The other minor issue I have is a faint ground loop whine from the alternator, but thats likely from my installation. I only heard it when I accidentally had phone volume set too low so I had the PCM volume up too high. Once I turned the phone volume up I cant hear it anymore.

I think the issue is from using different ground for the bluetooth adapter and the PCM. I used the passenger footwell jack instead of tapping the power lines directly to the PCM.

Mic seems to work ok. I have mine clipped under my steering wheel and everyone says it sounds fine.
Glad you're happy with it. I personally wouldn't risk such issues and rather buy a used Dension/mObridge than trust a Chinese knockoff.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:47 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Glad you're happy with it. I personally wouldn't risk such issues and rather buy a used Dension/mObridge than trust a Chinese knockoff.
To each his own. At 1/5 the price I can buy 3 more and still be ahead.

I can tell you the service from these guys is 10x better than from Mobridge. I dont think they even really support the product anymore. Trying to get a straight answer was pulling teeth.

I know the Bumperplug guys selling Densions are great but its pretty clear Dension made a business decision not to offer its cheaper models to the Porsche community so it could milk the Porsche premium. Competition is good.

Last edited by TheBruce; 11-06-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:19 PM
pbxtr!!
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Another positive vote

Received mine yesterday and finished installing it this morning.

Easy install and great results with bluetooth music streaming and calling from my iPhone. All you give up is the outdated CD changer.

I recommend it 100% - good value compared to any alternative system.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:03 AM
pbxtr!!
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So I installed mine yesterday and have to say it is a great deal. Glad I found this. Bluetooth music and calls are seamless. Installation is easy but the instructions included are not that helpful. YouTube has several videos that stepped me through the details.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?