Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding PCM 3.0 to 997.2, how easy/hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:29 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Adding PCM 3.0 to 997.2, how easy/hard is it?

If a 997.2 is not speced with PCM 3.0, could it be installed plug and play, or there are stuff (wiring, antenna, software) that are needed for the install?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:34 AM
FZP
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Although you'll get the factory look, they're behind the times technically. Can't stream music. Best getting an aftermarket job and get all the bells and whistles for 1/4 The price of a factory pcm
Old 10-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
If a 997.2 is not speced with PCM 3.0, could it be installed plug and play, or there are stuff (wiring, antenna, software) that are needed for the install?

I'm working through this now, with the new car. If you get a preowned unit, you'll have to source a new code from Porsche AG, for your VIN. a brand new unit would be a clean install, with your own code, but the cheapest I've found them is around $4200 + tax, and I believe that's without BT module, etc. Suncoast also told me they can't even get the PCM 3.0 brand new anymore, that Porsche is not making them anymore, even as replacements. I find that hard to believe, and it's the opposite of what my dealer is telling me. TBH, not sure who to believe. So far, my dealer seems confident they can order one for me. Neither option is very palatable, but I'm trying to make something work, myself. Let me know what you find out/end up doing.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:53 PM
rdc111
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A number of years ago, I believe I was the first person to upgrade a 2009 CaymanS from a standard radio to the PCM3.0. I say that because at the time my dealer had to get Porsche NA involved with Porsche AG since my dealer couldn't get the switch to work post factory. It turned out that Porsche AG needed to write a software patch on their end so my dealer could connect my car with them to activate the PCM3.0 unit. It’s rather involved but the short of it is, the switch cannot be accomplished without a dealer connecting your car to the mother ship for activation. I would talk to your dealer before buying anything.

Quick Reply: Adding PCM 3.0 to 997.2, how easy/hard is it?