Sponsored by:

New guy with used 911 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 02:41 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New guy with used 911 questions

Looking to buy my first used 911 (2006-2007) and have some questions, especially for CA guys.

- Would you consider buying a car that started life outside CA, knowing that you may have possible problems down the line passing smog tests?

- Would you buy a 2006-2007 without documentation regarding the IMS and or RMS fixes?

- Is 20,000 miles on a 2006 actually too low, the theory being it probably sat for extended periods of time, which may not be good?

- Has anyone purchased a 2006-2007 from a used car dealer and gotten the extended warranty that expressly covers the IMS / RMS issues?

Thanks. RJ
Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Looking to buy my first used 911 (2006-2007) and have some questions, especially for CA guys.

- Would you consider buying a car that started life outside CA, knowing that you may have possible problems down the line passing smog tests?

- Would you buy a 2006-2007 without documentation regarding the IMS and or RMS fixes?

- Is 20,000 miles on a 2006 actually too low, the theory being it probably sat for extended periods of time, which may not be good?

- Has anyone purchased a 2006-2007 from a used car dealer and gotten the extended warranty that expressly covers the IMS / RMS issues?

Thanks. RJ

- No problem with buying a car that started life outside CA, just check undercarriage for any rusty areas, Smog should be no problem, just make sure it has the original Air Intake or you can get a hold of an Original Air Intake if it has an aftermarket one.

-2006/2007 even some late production 2005s have the bigger IMS so that is not something you need to even worry about..the IMS cannot be changed it them & mechanics will tell you the double row bigger IMS there are no documented cases of it actually grendading. I have a 2005 and went to do IMS when it was time for the clutch & mechanic called me with good news saying it has the 2006+ IMS.

-20k miles is low, i usually prefer higher mileage cars, however that doesn't mean that anything is wrong with the car, get a PPI & you should be all good.

-Again with the IMS/RMS blown out of proportion thing, first of all 2006-2008 DO NOT HAVE THE IMS YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT , As for RMS, that is a simple Gasket, no big deal at all...I don't buy those aftermarket warranties, these cars are bulletproof if maintained well & pass a good ppi.

Hope those answers help you make a decision
Old 10-18-2017, 02:57 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Thanks, that is good information. RJ
Old 10-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Tarek +1. I bought a 2006 C2S 2 years ago in New York with 27k miles on it. It now has 50k miles. It had no service records. I had a P dealer do a PPI and they said the car was great. I shopped the warranties and worried a little but decided not to buy one. I have only needed normal maintenance things for 2 years.The car still makes me smile a lot. Do it.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:00 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cars overall condition should trump where it came from. With that said, a South Western car will be easier to keep up because we dont have the road salt issues for the most part. I wouldn't worry about the IMS on an 06+.

In CA the seller is REQUIRED to have the car smogged. If it was an independent dealer selling, I would have a PPI done at a reputable shop and another smog. This prevents them from smogging with their 'guy'.

RE low miles, a good PPI will find issues if any.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

Out of curiosity, does Porsche make any changes to the cars that are sold in California? At first blush, I would assume not. The primary Cali-smog issue I would look out for would be aftermarket parts or tunes on a car that might not be Cali-compliant.

Also, while he RMS is just a seal, it's a bitch to get to. It's fairly easy to see if it is leaking, but it isn't something you just pop out and pop a new one in, unless you consider removing the transmission a simple job. Whether or not the '06-'07 cars are prone to leaking, I don't know the answer to that. I do know (anecdotally) that RMS leaks are more common on cars that are not driven a lot.

Good luck in your search!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I guess I mistakenly thought CA cars got different engines to comply with harsher smog check requirements.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Thanks. I guess I mistakenly thought CA cars got different engines to comply with harsher smog check requirements.
Back in the 70's California 911's came with thermal reactors to comply with smog..this isn't the case anymore- Smog is nothing to worry about with a newer 911, it will pass..if anything is wrong you'd probably have a check engine light.

If you want to swing by Long Beach and we take a ride to Santa Monica together to look at the car you wanna check out let me know-
Old 10-18-2017, 08:35 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the offer. I am 3 plus hours away and time is tight right now. Don't want to miss the car, so I think I found someone to go look for me. RJ
Old 10-18-2017, 10:27 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel like IMS is a non-issue these days as the late large bearing almost never goes bad and the early ones are upgradable. The only major thing I would be concerned with is bore scoring (how my engine went south) and it's not like IMS in that it doesn't blow up the engine from out of nowhere.
The greatest issue is those "minor" failings which happen on an 8-10 yr old car and can add up to a fortune.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,725 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307

-2006/2007 even some late production 2005s have the bigger IMS so that is not something you need to even worry about..the IMS cannot be changed it them & mechanics will tell you the double row bigger IMS there are no documented cases of it actually grendading. I have a 2005 and went to do IMS when it was time for the clutch & mechanic called me with good news saying it has the 2006+ IMS.
Tarek, FYI, the larger, good, non-serviceable IMS bearing in the late '05-'08 cars is a single row bearing, not a double row. The chronology from earlier to later is small single row, small double row, large single row. The first 2 types are both replaceable - the last is not, but also has a very low failure rate on street cars.

Proper installation of the RMS seal requires a special installation depth tool to be done properly. If replacing that, also make sure you get the updated seal that has multiple sealing ribs.

Get a real PPI, not just someone to go look at it. You also need the DME printout to look at operating hours. overevs on the motor, and logged misfires if there are any, and which cylinder(s) they're in.

Also, even though the car only has 20,000 miles, if never done, it's going to need a water pump and serpentine belt since the pump bearing has been sitting in coolant for 11 years so factor that cost into your purchase price.

They're awesome cars - hope the purchase works out for you.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:39 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 154 Posts

A major service would be: New spark plugs and maybe coil packs, new air filter, new cabin filter, brake fluid flush and fill, new serpentine belt, oil and filter, wipers, and perhaps new tires if it's rolling on the originals it came with. All that added up will be a bit pricey. Not to scare you off, but being honest.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:22 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DC911S
A major service would be: New spark plugs and maybe coil packs, new air filter, new cabin filter, brake fluid flush and fill, new serpentine belt, oil and filter, wipers, and perhaps new tires if it's rolling on the originals it came with. All that added up will be a bit pricey. Not to scare you off, but being honest.
Thanks for the heads up on this.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:49 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought an '06 C4 coupe w/68k miles on it in December and I got a powertrain warranty on it. It does cover IMS issues. I spun a rod bearing in June, and thankfully, it covered most of a used engine to replace the blown up one.
As for these cars being bullet-proof, I have to disagree. This car has had more problems than all of my other Porsches put together (and that's a long list). Some normal use stuff: broken undertray, torn CV boot, that kind of thing.
But it also had a ton of other stuff, and that's even after passing a PPI and full history of service records. The engine blowing up was a big one, but there was also two failed door modules, a broken interior door handle, PCV, fuel tank vent vent cap and canister control valve, oil pressure sender, clutch return spring, alternator, water pump, battery, belt tensioner and rollers, oil galley freeze plugs.
It's gotten me to the point where I don't trust this car to get to to the grocery store, much less the 500+ mile trips I need to take over the holidays. From my experience, I would pass on any M97 911, and I wouldn't suggest passing up one of those warranties. The car isn't fast enough, fun enough, exclusive enough to justify what it costs to own. I've had a lot of Porsches and the 997 is easily, by far, the worst one. It's not only the worst Porsche I've ever owned - this is one of the worst *cars* I've ever owned.
I never had an IMS issue, though.
Go with caution.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,725 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Lugnutty
I bought an '06 C4 coupe in December and I got a powertrain warranty on it. It does cover IMS issues. I spun a rod bearing in June, and thankfully, it covered most of a used engine to replace the blown up one.
As for these cars being bullet-proof, I have to disagree. This car has had more problems than all of my other Porsches put together (and that's a long list). Some normal use stuff: broken undertray, torn CV boot, that kind of thing.
But it also had a ton of other stuff, and that's even after passing a PPI and full history of service records. The engine blowing up was a big one, but there was also two failed door modules, a broken interior door handle, PCV, fuel tank vent vent cap and canister control valve, oil pressure sender, clutch return spring, alternator, water pump, battery, belt tensioner and rollers, oil galley freeze plugs.
It's gotten me to the point where I don't trust this car to get to to the grocery store, much less the 500+ mile trips I need to take over the holidays. From my experience, I would pass on any M97 911, and I wouldn't suggest passing up one of those warranties. The car isn't fast enough, fun enough, exclusive enough to justify what it costs to own. I've had a lot of Porsches and the 997 is easily, by far, the worst one. It's not only the worst Porsche I've ever owned - this is one of the worst *cars* I've ever owned.
I never had an IMS issue, though.
Go with caution.
Wow - That's the worst list I've ever seen. Both of my 997s have been awesome - even fewer issues then my Infiniti QX56, combined.

You must have received what we call in manufacturing a "Friday car" where everyone is ready to leave for the weekend.

Quick Reply: New guy with used 911 questions