Winter Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:42 PM
jz1976
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Oil

Another oil post!!!

Winter is coming fast in Minnesota and I am planning on running the 997.1 C4S all winter. Currently have Lubrimoly 5w-40 in the car but will be doing an oil change next week. Do I switch to 0w-40 for winter to avoid the dreaded bore scoring? If so, which brand??
Old 10-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jz1976
Another oil post!!!

Winter is coming fast in Minnesota and I am planning on running the 997.1 C4S all winter. Currently have Lubrimoly 5w-40 in the car but will be doing an oil change next week. Do I switch to 0w-40 for winter to avoid the dreaded bore scoring? If so, which brand??
Porsche says to use 0w-40 oil if the car is operated in temperatures -25C or colder.

Even if it doesn't get that cold where you live/drive were I you I'd switch to an approved 0w-40 oil if ambient temperatures got below 32F for prolonged periods of time.

What 0w-40 oil to use?

Mobil 1 0w-40.

While the Porsche approved oils list has several brands of 0W-40 oil Mobil 1 0w-40 is probably the one in your area most easy to find.

Just in case here are a few more winterizing tips.

Be sure the body water drains are free of trash.

Be sure the radiator ducts are free of trash. Overheating is not a real concern in winter. The trash though will get soaked with salty snow and slush and subjects everything the trash is in contact with to increased corrosion.

Be sure the windshield washer reservior is full of fluid that won't freeze. When I lived in cold area the gas stations/truck stops would put pallets of washer fluid. After a good cold spell I'd buy a couple of jugs that had no ice/slush in them.

Be sure the wipers are good.

Has the brake fluid (and if a manual the clutch fluid) been flushed/bled in the last 2 years? If not have this done.

Of course you have proper winter/snow tires to use in winter? (I didn't but I was dumb and lucky nothing bad happened.)
Old 10-10-2017, 01:08 PM
jz1976
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your insights.

I will make sure that I hit the items on your list.

Quick Reply: Winter Oil