Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:28 PM
AboEnzo Nsouli
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amazon Echo in my 997.2

Hi all,

I am looking at putting an Amazon Echo dot in my car. 997.2

I am thinking of hooking up the echo in the AUX port and power it with the USB port (if it can power it).

I will hook up a mobile hotspot in the car too to keep it connected.

Has anyone done this setup?
Old 10-06-2017, 04:58 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you setup a hotspot and give it power, sure, you can do it... but, I have to ask, why?

If you already have your phone there, what does Alexa offer that you can't get from Google Now or Siri? It seems like you're inventing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:15 PM
AboEnzo Nsouli
Track Day

Originally Posted by devioustrap
If you setup a hotspot and give it power, sure, you can do it... but, I have to ask, why?

If you already have your phone there, what does Alexa offer that you can't get from Google Now or Siri? It seems like you're inventing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
So you are saying that I should/could just hookup my phone to the aux port.

The problem I am trying to solve is having to access my phone to select music while driving etc...

If it was integrated with PCM, then maybe.

What I wrote before my login expired was that I was used to hooking up my phone to my BT and controlling it through steering wheel controls in my previous car. But now, I don't have that option.
I also don't have a lot of media to put on an iPod.

So my choices are limited... That's where Alexa comes into play.

I also work at a company that sells data and hotspots so I have access to that stuff.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:16 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AboEnzo Nsouli
So you are saying that I should/could just hookup my phone to the aux port.

The problem I am trying to solve is having to access my phone to select music while driving etc...

If it was integrated with PCM, then maybe.

What I wrote before my login expired was that I was used to hooking up my phone to my BT and controlling it through steering wheel controls in my previous car. But now, I don't have that option.
I also don't have a lot of media to put on an iPod.

So my choices are limited... That's where Alexa comes into play.

I also work at a company that sells data and hotspots so I have access to that stuff.
Yes, I'm suggesting hooking up your phone to the Aux port. Do you have stock bluetooth in your car? That will handle the phone calls.

Your phone should support the same voice recognition features that Alexa does. I can say "OK Google, play rock music", the same way how at home I say "Alexa, play rock music." No?

Do you have an android device? Even better, use the Android Auto app. It will auto launch when it connects to your car's bluetooth and supports full voice commands for navigation/text messages/audio. Just mount your phone on the air vent so it's in eye sight.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:17 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 198 Posts

I think you'll have to reinitiate the echo every time you get in the car. It won't have a power source when the car is off.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:12 AM
FZP
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Why complicate the experience of driving one of the finest sports cars ever made. Disconnect from the matrix and just enjoy the analogue and visceral noise from that flat 6.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:00 AM
AboEnzo Nsouli
Track Day

Originally Posted by FZP
Why complicate the experience of driving one of the finest sports cars ever made. Disconnect from the matrix and just enjoy the analogue and visceral noise from that flat 6.
I like the way you think!

Quick Reply: Amazon Echo in my 997.2