Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from a 997.2 4S to a Golf R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:10 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 886 Posts
Default Going from a 997.2 4S to a Golf R?

I love my '12 997. It is a beautiful car to look at, drive, and own it is CPO so I don't have to worry about big surprises for at least another year. Our family has an SUV ('16 CX-9) but the Porsche in MY only car (although I also have an even less practical motorcycle).

We just had our first child and I really wanted to work things in a way that I can keep the 997. However, we are planning the second child and the Porsche is getting increasingly impractical. We now have a live-in nanny and family that comes to visit etc. I do not see any serious track time in my near future. Finances are also a concern. Wife wants private school and did I mention the live-in nanny? The 997 is worth low $60s and I could dump it tomorrow at the dealership for $60k.

I was looking for something much more practical that is still fun to drive. I found a '16 Golf R with 10k miles and with all the good options. I can get it for $30k, so half the price. I know a VW will never be as good or cool as a Porsche but I do have to transition to fatherhood and give up some toys.

I don't really have a point here except wanting to hear feedback from any current or former Gulf R owners or even someone telling me that it is a terrible idea that I will regret etc and convince me to keep the 997.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:15 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts

Do you own the 997 outright? If so then take the cash out of it and get a Panamera. It’s big and has four doors to fit the kids and it’s still a Porsche. Also consider the Focus RS. A used S4 perhaps? You have lots of choices
Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC911S
Do you own the 997 outright? If so then take the cash out of it and get a Panamera. It’s big and has four doors to fit the kids and it’s still a Porsche. Also consider the Focus RS. A used S4 perhaps? You have lots of choices
No, I actually just purchased it a year ago at 3% apr, paying cash made no sense as that money is more useful in the market. One of the "practicalities" is reducing monthly expenses to afford other things like private school et al.

Focus RS has an interior that only a fanboy could love. Besides, it is a little too "racy" for my style. I am in my mid thirties. I do want a manual, so that eliminates Audi. If the WRX cam in a hatch, I would consider that.

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-05-2017, 01:42 PM
DC911S
Drifting

You can find a used S4 with manual tranny and sports diff. I think they stil made them up till two years ago or so. That would be the B8 S4. Also consider this, the previous generation CTS V sedan. I have had two of them with six speed tranny and they will slaughter most other cars on the street. Roomy and comfortable and maintaince is cheap. It will give a Turbo 911 a good run for the money. You can get a nice one for 35 k or so.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:51 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Audi RS3.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:51 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

I just got a 2017 GTI Sport, it's the best VW I have ever driven, and I have owned many, but it's build quality is very questionable, it's like all things VW, the test drive lures you in, then you start noticing things, like the raspy gasps and rattles it makes, the poor side mirrors, and this weird thing they call a "sound actor" that sits under the dash to enhance the engine noise? I guess aside from that the car is fine, oh and it's terrible on gas, I thought the 911 drained out quick, this thing only has a 13.2 gal tank.

I wanted a Macan as a second car, get one of those
Old 10-05-2017, 01:52 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC911S
You can find a used S4 with manual tranny and sports diff. I think they stil made them up till two years ago or so. That would be the B8 S4. Also consider this, the previous generation CTS V sedan. I have had two of them with six speed tranny and they will slaughter most other cars on the street. Roomy and comfortable and maintaince is cheap. It will give a Turbo 911 a good run for the money. You can get a nice one for 35 k or so.
I will look into the Audi, I believe is shares the engine with the R.

If I came home in a Cadillac, I think my wife would divorce me. We have actually had that conversation a couple years ago.

Trending Topics

Old 10-05-2017, 01:58 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
The 997 is worth low $60s and I could dump it tomorrow at the dealership for $60k.
Do you have this in writing? I doubt any dealer is paying $60k for a 4S. For your sake, however, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:01 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Take her for a ride in one and floor it. It can easily cruise at 130 and when you gas it it will still pin you back. Only reason I got rid of mine is thst I wanted a pure sports car. As for the RS3, no manual for it. I really liked my B6 S4 but they have iffy engines due to cam chain tensioner guides. How about a B7 RS4? That’s a great car, no issues with the guides on them.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:11 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WantA997
Do you have this in writing? I doubt any dealer is paying $60k for a 4S. For your sake, however, I hope I'm wrong.
Yes I do. Trade in is $64 so a $60k cash offer is actually not great. That offer was from Fred Anderson Toyota. It now expired as I thought it was low for a ‘12 with 30k and CPO.

Last edited by MaddMike; 10-05-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:39 PM
DC911S
Drifting

For an 12 4s in good shape and not many miles, the values are holding high. DC dealers would sell that car for mid 60’s
Old 10-05-2017, 02:48 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

The R is a great car. I'd get that over an S3 as far as value. Its extremely similar drivetrain and arguably a better driver and even more versatile for cargo.

A used S4 is a great suggestion. You can pick up reasonable mileage 2013 up ones for low 30K range and you have a car that has a manual tranny if you like (the DSG is great too) and has a dead reliable powertrain (the 3.0T supercharged engine is bulletproof).

With 2 grand in modifications you can also have a still reliable S4 doing 11 second 1/4 mile times at the track and then you can use it to plow snow in the winter, and ferry kids to activities on the weekend. Its probably one of the most versatile cars I can think of for the price.

Add to that the cost of replacement parts is relatively cheap all things considered. If you decided to mod the car and invalidate the drivetrain warranty its really not a big deal. You can find used engines on carpart or ebay for 4 grand all day long and used trannys for 2 grand.

Mike
Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Get a MB GLA 250 4Matic. Great, very sporty SUV, very light and nimble.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I love my '12 997. It is a beautiful car to look at, drive, and own it is CPO so I don't have to worry about big surprises for at least another year. Our family has an SUV ('16 CX-9) but the Porsche in MY only car (although I also have an even less practical motorcycle).

We just had our first child and I really wanted to work things in a way that I can keep the 997. However, we are planning the second child and the Porsche is getting increasingly impractical. We now have a live-in nanny and family that comes to visit etc. I do not see any serious track time in my near future. Finances are also a concern. Wife wants private school and did I mention the live-in nanny? The 997 is worth low $60s and I could dump it tomorrow at the dealership for $60k.

I was looking for something much more practical that is still fun to drive. I found a '16 Golf R with 10k miles and with all the good options. I can get it for $30k, so half the price. I know a VW will never be as good or cool as a Porsche but I do have to transition to fatherhood and give up some toys.

I don't really have a point here except wanting to hear feedback from any current or former Gulf R owners or even someone telling me that it is a terrible idea that I will regret etc and convince me to keep the 997.
Sell . . . I mean get rid of the live in nanny unless she is really hot and get an F80 ZCP with the money you save to go along with the 997.

Oh man, speaking of hot nannie, ours who is no slouch in her own right went on vacation this summer and her friend who was super smoking hot was pitch hitting for her while she was gone. Could not keep my workout buddies away from my house . . . and as much as I love and adore my wife, I can see how this stuff could be a problem.

any way . . . ditch the live in nanny and get another car or two. Priorities man, priorities.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:11 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
I just got a 2017 GTI Sport, it's the best VW I have ever driven, and I have owned many, but it's build quality is very questionable, it's like all things VW, the test drive lures you in, then you start noticing things, like the raspy gasps and rattles it makes, the poor side mirrors, and this weird thing they call a "sound actor" that sits under the dash to enhance the engine noise? I guess aside from that the car is fine, oh and it's terrible on gas, I thought the 911 drained out quick, this thing only has a 13.2 gal tank.

I wanted a Macan as a second car, get one of those
I have been reading up on them and it seems there is a noticeable quality difference between Mexican made GTIs and German made Rs. Yes, the stupid sound generator is... stupid but can easily be disabled.

Originally Posted by ADias
Get a MB GLA 250 4Matic. Great, very sporty SUV, very light and nimble.
No SUVs. I have a Mazda CX9 Signature which is surprisingly nice inside with the wood and leather accents, great AWD, 3rd row seating, pulls the boat, and still handles pretty well as a Mazda should.

Looking for small, practical and backroad/track worthy with quality interior and creature comforts. RWD or AWD. I used to be a BMW person but my last X5 that I bought new gave me so many headaches the minute that it came out of warranty that I would be hard pressed to buy another.

Last edited by MaddMike; 10-05-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Going from a 997.2 4S to a Golf R?