Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from a 997.2 4S to a Golf R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 PM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a Golf R as a daily driver. It's a fun little rocket, that also happens to be really practical as well - it has the same cargo capacity as a Macan, and the AWD does well in the snow with the right tires. It's no Porsche though, and I'm not fond of the turbo engine or the fake engine sounds. Why do they do that?

One thing to bear I mind is that cargo space is based on having the rear seats folded down, and if you have car seats for children in the back that's not an option. Although the truck is deep, is not very long, front to back. I'm not sure how you'd get strollers in there, so that would be something worth testing.

I guess if I were in your situation with changing priorities, I'd trade the 911 for a Macan or a Cayenne. Stick with the brand and the driving experience. Honestly, though, I'd have a real hard time giving up the 911 for anything. Of all our cars that one would be the last to leave the garage...
Old 10-06-2017, 06:47 PM
997c2sla
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I made the mistake to sell my 997.1 c2s in June.
I thought it was the right thing to do.
2 weeks ago i picked up a 997.2 c4s.
I had to go back to the 911.

Stick with it!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

It is impossible to give an informed opinion until we see a pic of the nanny.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:38 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a '16 Golf R and a 997.2 C4GTS. I traded my 2013 S4 in on the 997 and picked up the Golf several months later. As others have mentioned try and keep the 997 and add the Golf R if at all possible lol. That being said, the Golf R is a fantastic car, I like it better than my heavily modified S4 in almost every aspect. I have added an AWE exhaust to the Golf, disabled the engine noise fakery, a 034 rear sway bar and some BBS CH-R's. I'm interested to see what you end up doing...
Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfer
I have a '16 Golf R and a 997.2 C4GTS. I traded my 2013 S4 in on the 997 and picked up the Golf several months later. As others have mentioned try and keep the 997 and add the Golf R if at all possible lol. That being said, the Golf R is a fantastic car, I like it better than my heavily modified S4 in almost every aspect. I have added an AWE exhaust to the Golf, disabled the engine noise fakery, a 034 rear sway bar and some BBS CH-R's. I'm interested to see what you end up doing...
Good feedback. I can buy the Golf outright but with the stock market the way it is right now, I'm loathe to pull money out. I did a test drive today and it was pretty damn good. Going to take it to my favorite roads on Sunday to wring it out. At this point I may be adding it to the stable.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:16 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
It is impossible to give an informed opinion until we see a pic of the nanny.
LOL. She is not a looker but makes up for it in personality and as a drinking buddy.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:28 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Lots of great points on here. I was debating selling my 997.2 C4S also for a Golf R daily. We have an S3 also which my other half drives. In '16, it was hard to find used Golf R's and the VW dealers had R's marked up, so the S3 was a better deal. After running the S3 for a year, I'm really happy with the S3 vs. R.

Now, as for selling the 997 toy and buying a Golf R for for a daily, I couldn't do it. After the lusture would have worn off, I would have been sorry for selling the 997, especially the C4S which is harder to come across.

The Golf R is completely capable, but ultimately it's still a regular family hatchback, albeit a fast one. I ended up getting an E-Golf, and keeping the 997. After the novelty worn off, I was bored with the E-Golf and ultimately came to the conclusion I could never love it, so I traded the E-Golf for a base Macan as a daily and I'm much happier now.

I ran a 2008 Mk5 GTI for 8 years, so I'm a big fan of the GTI/Golf chassis cars in general, but not at the expense of losing a 997!
Old 10-07-2017, 09:44 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Lots of great points on here. I was debating selling my 997.2 C4S also for a Golf R daily. We have an S3 also which my other half drives. In '16, it was hard to find used Golf R's and the VW dealers had R's marked up, so the S3 was a better deal. After running the S3 for a year, I'm really happy with the S3 vs. R.

Now, as for selling the 997 toy and buying a Golf R for for a daily, I couldn't do it. After the lusture would have worn off, I would have been sorry for selling the 997, especially the C4S which is harder to come across.

The Golf R is completely capable, but ultimately it's still a regular family hatchback, albeit a fast one. I ended up getting an E-Golf, and keeping the 997. After the novelty worn off, I was bored with the E-Golf and ultimately came to the conclusion I could never love it, so I traded the E-Golf for a base Macan as a daily and I'm much happier now.

I ran a 2008 Mk5 GTI for 8 years, so I'm a big fan of the GTI/Golf chassis cars in general, but not at the expense of losing a 997!
Thanks for chiming in. The wanted to hear from a VW guy. I may add that if you think a 4S is rare how about a 4S with factory aero.

Quick Reply: Going from a 997.2 4S to a Golf R?