Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this 2005 C2S and 05's in general

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 12:38 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Default Thoughts on this 2005 C2S and 05's in general

Drove it today but didn't have much time to really study it. Fabspeed intake and exhaust. Some records but the main one is a $3K plus bill from a local Porsche dealer installing new clutch and RMS. Bill stated something like this " INSPECTED THE IMS BEARING AND CONFIRMED IT WAS THE NEWER LARGER 22MM BEARING PORSCHE STARTED USING IN LATER MODELS - NO NOISE OR WEAR FROM BEARING NOTICED AND NO METAL IN OIL OR FILTER"

Thoughts on the mods, options, looks, etc. Original wheels do come with the car.

Price is HIGH, but miles are low. This dealer sold it to the previous owner back in 2015 for only $42-43K. He traded it for an M2.

https://www.selectluxury.com/VDP-200...a-s-c-2032.htm

Build sheet:

http://mclaren722.herokuapp.com/pors...AB29995S742470
Old 10-04-2017, 03:28 AM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a very similar car. Different color. Full leather. Otherwise a twin.

Had my clutch done and IMS inspected last year for the same price. I also had the larger bearing and they removed the oil seal for improved lubrication. The larger bearing appears to be reliable.

I have enjoyed every minute in my car and think it's a steal at that price. Nothing touches it for fun and satisfaction.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:09 AM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I don't see the point in paying extra for low miles--at least not to that extent.

I'd rather keep $10k more in the bank and get the a car with 60k miles on it.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

I would have no issue buying a 2005 car, especially one with the larger bearing. That particular car is over modified for my taste, but there’s nothing wrong with modifications if you like them. Personally, I would only pay a premium for a car that was completely stock and in truly excellent condition.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:08 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervin881
I have a very similar car. Different color. Full leather. Otherwise a twin.

Had my clutch done and IMS inspected last year for the same price. I also had the larger bearing and they removed the oil seal for improved lubrication. The larger bearing appears to be reliable.

I have enjoyed every minute in my car and think it's a steal at that price. Nothing touches it for fun and satisfaction.

Thank you for the reply

Originally Posted by devioustrap
Maybe I'm an outlier, but I don't see the point in paying extra for low miles--at least not to that extent.

I'd rather keep $10k more in the bank and get the a car with 60k miles on it.
Kinda like knowing your GF's "sex list". If there's not too many ahead of you, you kinda feel better about things in general. lol

I feel the same about cars! lol

Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I would have no issue buying a 2005 car, especially one with the larger bearing. That particular car is over modified for my taste, but there’s nothing wrong with modifications if you like them. Personally, I would only pay a premium for a car that was completely stock and in truly excellent condition.
I'm not really happy about the mods either but it's not that bad or too many IMO.

I would never pay their asking price... I'm thinking no more than $42K before TTT.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't love all the mods he's done I'd wait and either find a car that's stock or has mods that you like. For the price of that car it wouldn't be too hard to find a stock one and do those same mods over again. Also, the carfax would have me believe that the car was driven in Chicago during the winter, if that sort of thing is important to you.

The C2S isn't really the model that people pine after so I would advise against paying extra for a low miles one with the hope that it will depreciate less. Mods aside, the build spec of this car isn't particularly unique, so a similar car will probably pop up for sale if you pass on this one.

I think $43k is a fair price, but if you are particularly concerned about getting exactly what you want for the best price possible, I'd wait.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BillNye
If you don't love all the mods he's done I'd wait and either find a car that's stock or has mods that you like. For the price of that car it wouldn't be too hard to find a stock one and do those same mods over again. Also, the carfax would have me believe that the car was driven in Chicago during the winter, if that sort of thing is important to you.

The C2S isn't really the model that people pine after so I would advise against paying extra for a low miles one with the hope that it will depreciate less. Mods aside, the build spec of this car isn't particularly unique, so a similar car will probably pop up for sale if you pass on this one.

I think $43k is a fair price, but if you are particularly concerned about getting exactly what you want for the best price possible, I'd wait.
Agreed...Thank you.
Unless I could steal it for a really low price, I'll keep looking.

Still want a turbo but might just spend less and get an NA Porsche.

Trending Topics

Old 10-04-2017, 04:25 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

05 is fine if you fix IMS.. price is way high. I paid that for my 2011 with 25k miles.

This is a 35k car at most.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

31k miles isn't that low.

Also, given your other threads/posts, I'd think a 6mt .2 S, C4S or GTS might be a better range to look at.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:21 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
31k miles isn't that low.

Also, given your other threads/posts, I'd think a 6mt .2 S, C4S or GTS might be a better range to look at.
I was thinking the same thing. That said though, I don't think I'd be more interested in a car like this with only 10k miles.
Speculating on resale value for a car <$50k is dumb, especially if you're planning on driving it. Suppose you put 20k miles on it in the next 5yrs, in 2022 the price delta between a 50k mile car and a 30k mile car will be even smaller.

Also, to OP's analogy about low miles and feeling better about things. In my experience, I tend to avoid cars that have lots of mods, especially a lot of basic bolt-ons. Usually these cars are driven a lot harder than the bone stock car owned by a retiree.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I personally prefer a higher mileage car with more depreciation, IF it’s a one or two owner vehicle. You can find something with a few more miles for a lot less money.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Didn't I see that on the list of flood victim cars recently?

Just messing' with ya.

Too pricy for what it is.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 PM
9nein7
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dang you guys can be sticklers. I was expecting a Frankenstein heap of mods before clicking the link based on some replies.

It's got an intake, exhaust, tail lights, add-on diffuser, and wheels. Nothing crazy if the work was done thoughtfully and well executed imo. It's not like we're talking about this beauty here: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...332490648.html

But subjectivity and preference aside, that car is way over-priced (you're in 997.2 and 991 base territory). On the brighter side thanks to the guys in this thread, those mods can actually be used as a bargaining chip. You could argue with dealer that based on the market of pedantic Porsche buyers, each mod can knock $2.5k off the asking price.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by 9nein7
You could argue with dealer that based on the market of pedantic Porsche buyers, each mod can knock $2.5k off the asking price.
Heck, with any luck the DME report will have a couple over revs on it so he can use Rennlist Math to knock another $15k off the price.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:33 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for all the replies.

I think I'm still trying to fool myself into thinking I shouldn't hold out for a Turbo anyway. lol

Personally this car in my OP, felt slow. I think it felt slower than the 2003 C4S I drove first when I first started looking.

I know the base cars are tons of fun but Having had a taste of my last mid 10 sec. toy, I'm just not sure I'll be happy without some spinney things attached to the engine with at least 450HP. lol

Oh well...Back to the shopping board....

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 2005 C2S and 05's in general