Sponsored by:

Progressive Insurance - U Pay in the end

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:25 AM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Progressive Insurance - U Pay in the end

So I got hit by debris flying off a truck on the highway. Progressive assesses the damage and orders aftermarket hood, fender and light assembly from Asia.
Already my car is devalued because it will be on Carfax even though there is no structural damage, now it's going to have crap parts? I called the Body Shop and found out what was going on and stopped them ordering the parts. I'm paying the difference for original OEM parts. Thanks Flo!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:47 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

They spend so much money in advertising that it is not possible for them to replace your damaged parts with OEM parts. You have to understand them: First goal is to make tons of money and invest in real estate and foreign locations. Customers satisfaction? Last on their list.

Yves
Old 09-27-2017, 11:33 AM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Front bumper hit while parked. Made the mistake of reporting to Progressive. Reported to Carfax. Tried to file for diminished value, Progressive just about told me to F**k off.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

It is really nothing. A body shop will probably take less than $500-600 to fix it.
I had my entire front bumper repainted for that amount. I put everything back together myself..... This way, I know it is correctly done.

Yves
Old 09-27-2017, 12:00 PM
galaxy collision
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

call your agent and complain enough and they will put oem parts on it. it is in your policy that they can use aftermarket or used parts on your car. you normally have to pay extra on your premium to get oem parts
Old 09-27-2017, 12:11 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 913 Posts

One more reason I go with USAA, although I have Progressive for motorcycle and boat insurance. I hope I never have to use it.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,649 Likes on 984 Posts

Lesson learned:

Ask if oem glass and part replacement is part of your policy. Just pick up your phones, and give your agent a call. Real simple to avoid any surprises.

Assuming anything about your policy is not good. You have to ask. I suspect, as was with my prior carriers, that they can add an OEM clause for a price. This stuff is not by chance, or cutting costs to advertise, it is simply what coverage you purchased.... OEM or alternative or whatever ..... it is in the policy if you read it and never ambiguous in my experience.... been that way for as long as I be drivin'.

Someone suggested I drop OEM parts coverage for my 2000 Boxster S because production numbers were so low, only OEM wold be available.... but of course, that has all changed. IIRC, a clause in one of may past policies was something like, "lowest cost part part from any manufactuer, then OEM only as a last resort".... or something like that.... I changed it and paid more.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

It is generally accepted practice that policies allow aftermarket parts. You almost always have to pay more for OEM. If you insure a Porsche, you must assume that you will have to add that coverage and pay more. The parts are just too expensive and an insurance company knows it. It's not a Progressive thing, it's an industry thing.

After the recent Porsche windshield thread I called my agent and checked and sure enough--my policy did not specify OEM glass, or parts. I added the coverage for all of our cars (wife has anE550 cabriolet, so I wanted it on her car, too). Additional premium for all four of our drivers (911, E550, Suburban and my son's Avalon) was just under $700. Not cheap.

Just as an aside, we have a non-official "self-insurance" limit in our family. If some damage costs up to about $1,500, we just pay out of pocket. A bumper scuff, wheel curbing, mirror hit--all of those get paid out of pocket and off the record. It's just not worth the hassle of involving the insurance company and the potential loss of value later on when something stupid shows up on a Carfax. We raised our deductible accordingly and the savings in the annual premiums usually more than make up for the occasional damage.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:33 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 160 Posts

Progressive blows and so does Nationwide, I've switched to Gieco and it's much better. I slightly wadded up the front of my B6 S4 and Nationwide kept ordering crap Chinese parts that did not fit at all, the body shop called me about it and said they were weeks late on fixing it due to fitnent issues. Meanwhile Nationwide called and said to turn the loaner in for which I told them I would turn it in when my car was ready, which it would have been IF you let the shop use OEM parts in the first place. Lo and behold when OEM parts were used it was done in a week. The body shop told me they tried two hoods and one fender made out of Chinese scrap metal that simply did not fit.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

oh please, its all the same crap. If you truly think any of the major insurance companies are much better than the other, you are deluding yourself.

I have progressive, when I had an incident with my 993TT, they ponied up for OEM parts, no question. That said, i don't expect the same treatment each time, nor do I expect any better from geico or anyone else.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:28 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hit a deer with our 2 week old Cayenne. After calling insurance (Nationwide / Allied) and telling them about the accident, I also said I want only Porsche OEM replacement parts. No problem and no added cost to me. Perhaps it was since it was only 2 weeks old, but never any discussion about non-OEM parts on the Cayenne. Of course it did take longer to repair as we had to wait on the parts coming from Germany a few times - also they found more that needed replacing once they tore it down.

But I agree with the general consensus here - best to check first and understand your coverage unless you are one who likes potential surprises.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:18 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,649 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
I hit a deer with our 2 week old Cayenne. After calling insurance (Nationwide / Allied) and telling them about the accident, I also said I want only Porsche OEM replacement parts. No problem and no added cost to me. Perhaps it was since it was only 2 weeks old, but never any discussion about non-OEM parts on the Cayenne. Of course it did take longer to repair as we had to wait on the parts coming from Germany a few times - also they found more that needed replacing once they tore it down.

But I agree with the general consensus here - best to check first and understand your coverage unless you are one who likes potential surprises.
This sounds like a "nice"story... but what you don't say is what coverage you had. You may have had it in your policy, paying for it, and didn't know it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Progressive Insurance - U Pay in the end