Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 997 Turbo Manual transmission better than 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017 | 07:55 AM
user 72902
Banned

At this point I hope you are having a dealership do the work. They will know the compatibility of transmissions.
Old 09-24-2017 | 09:47 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gopirates
Get a lawyer!
this.
Old 09-25-2017 | 09:49 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Well here is something concrete: http://www.gboxweb.com/997mstip.html
There is no viscous coupling in the transmission. On the 996 TT it's up at the FWD transaxle.
Would be nice to hear from an expert on the exact differences.
Old 09-26-2017 | 09:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Well here is something concrete: http://www.gboxweb.com/997mstip.html
There is no viscous coupling in the transmission. On the 996 TT it's up at the FWD transaxle.
Would be nice to hear from an expert on the exact differences.
well I'll be a monkey's uncle. good to know.
Old 09-26-2017 | 05:38 PM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkw911
At this point I hope you are having a dealership do the work. They will know the compatibility of transmissions.
Dominic at Circle Porsche in Long Beach, CA told me he is complying with Farmers Insurance demand to source a used transmission. He searched the entire country to find a 996 turbo manual transmission that hasn't been rebuilt and has lower mileage than my car and could not find one. So, he claims to have done a lot of research and found that the 997 turbo transmission will work. He is installing a 2010 Porsche turbo manual transmission into my 2004 Porsche Turbo. If something happens to my car after the transmission is installed the insurance company is only warrantying the part for 90 days.

They will not install a new transmission in the car, to cut costs. I talked to many lawyers and they are not giving me a definite, but this is easily grounds for a suit again EF1 Motorsports for completely F*cking Up my car and Farmers Insurance for approving parts onto the car that are not meant for my car.

I just hope the transmission functions correctly
Old 09-26-2017 | 06:19 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by germanaudiotech
Dominic at Circle Porsche in Long Beach, CA told me he is complying with Farmers Insurance demand to source a used transmission. He searched the entire country to find a 996 turbo manual transmission that hasn't been rebuilt and has lower mileage than my car and could not find one. So, he claims to have done a lot of research and found that the 997 turbo transmission will work. He is installing a 2010 Porsche turbo manual transmission into my 2004 Porsche Turbo. If something happens to my car after the transmission is installed the insurance company is only warrantying the part for 90 days.

They will not install a new transmission in the car, to cut costs. I talked to many lawyers and they are not giving me a definite, but this is easily grounds for a suit again EF1 Motorsports for completely F*cking Up my car and Farmers Insurance for approving parts onto the car that are not meant for my car.

I just hope the transmission functions correctly
So, I'm a little confused by this. Is your insurance company swapping out transmissions? Was your can in an accident? Can the housing be reused and just internals being swapped out as explained in the link above? If so, it makes sense. If it is a "simple" swap job and they are just bolting the whole thing in, that is is a different story.
Old 09-26-2017 | 06:21 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Probably not relevant to this thread but when I test drove 996 turbos, several had the second gear pop-out issue. I think my hit rate was as high as 20% of the manual cars I drove.

I have driven a bunch of 997 turbo manuals and never experienced that problem.
Old 09-26-2017 | 06:22 PM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by MaddMike
So, I'm a little confused by this. Is your insurance company swapping out transmissions? Was your can in an accident? Can the housing be reused and just internals being swapped out as explained in the link above? If so, it makes sense. If it is a "simple" swap job and they are just bolting the whole thing in, that is is a different story.
The car was not in an 'accident'. EF1 Motorsports performed faulty work causing irreversible damage to the transmission. Their shop-owner's insurance is covering the replacement of the transmission but they dont want to buy a new one. I have to get a used transmission apparently..
Old 10-06-2017 | 02:34 PM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

So, with 997 transmission in the 996, the Bureau of Automotive Repair is now telling me that this is a 'illegal conversion' by the insurance company. It should have never been approved. I drove the car yesterday and the engine is peaking at 4.5k rpms. Then sputtering. Like the redline was lowered.

This is a complete nightmare..
Old 10-06-2017 | 02:38 PM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Lawyer
Old 10-06-2017 | 02:41 PM
997c2sla
Racer

You need to get a lawyer and demand a new 996 turbo transmission.
I would have never accepted a 997 transmission in the first place. It is not right.
Sorry this is such a nightmare.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-2017 | 02:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

My insurance company is swapping out a 2004 Turbo manual transmission with a 2010 Turbo manual transmission.

Are there any improvements between the 2 generations or are they the same?
So, with 997 transmission in the 996, the Bureau of Automotive Repair is now telling me that this is a 'illegal conversion' by the insurance company. It should have never been approved. I drove the car yesterday and the engine is peaking at 4.5k rpms. Then sputtering. Like the redline was lowered.

This is a complete nightmare..
dude. How the duck in the world you accepted another cars transmision in your car! You may have to sue them. I’ve never heard of such a thing!
Old 10-06-2017 | 02:44 PM
997c2sla
Racer

And Dominic at Circle Porsche is talking nonsense....
Old 10-06-2017 | 02:46 PM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997c2sla
You need to get a lawyer and demand a new 996 turbo transmission.
I would have never accepted a 997 transmission in the first place. It is not right.
Sorry this is such a nightmare.

Good luck.
You're 1000% correct. I never accepted it. YELLED at State Farm for even considering it. The car does not function properly. It's all Frankensteined.. EF1 screwed me so bad, Circle Porsche is using my car as a guinea pig, and State Farm just doesn't give a **** and wants to escape this claim paying as little as possible.

I may need a lawyer. Anyone want to pick up this case?
Old 10-06-2017 | 02:47 PM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997c2sla
And Dominic at Circle Porsche is talking nonsense....
Yeah, I want to believe him because it's a Porsche Dealership..

Quick Reply: Is the 997 Turbo Manual transmission better than 996 Turbo?