Carfax and staying off it

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:59 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carfax and staying off it

Hello,
My car got hit by a piece of wood flying off a flatbed trailer.
Going to need a new hood, fender and light assembly.
NO other damage or structural damage.
Is there anyway to keep this from showing up on a CarFax?
It will be repaired like new, but if a potential buyer sees 'damage' on a CarFax I'm sure that will be a deal killer and also diminish the value.
There is a State Police report and I am using my insurance company and a good repair facility.
What are the odds? It wasn't an 'accident' and it wasn't my fault. More like comprehensive.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you're using your ins. Then it will be reported.

My cayenne had the passenger window replace because of a break in. It showed up on carfax

best bet to take lots of before pictures and document everything.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:53 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
Hello,

There is a State Police report and I am using my insurance company and a good repair facility.

Thanks!
There ya go. You have 3 sources that report accidents involved.

I've seen dealerships use companies like this though...

http://www.trueframereport.com

That inspect your car for you after the repair and provide a report of exactly how bad the damage was and also supposedly update carfax to state as much as well.

Never used them myself so not saying they are legit but I have read carfaxs that have their reports in them.

May be worthwhile for you to look into.

Mike
Old 09-21-2017, 02:21 PM
otuA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep all records of the incident and repair. A serious and reasonable buyer won't care about cosmetic damage like that if they see it documented.

I bought a car with an accident reported because it turned out all that happened was the previous owner scraped a fender backing out of a new garage. This "accident" had no impact on the sale price of the car, and there were multiple buyers interested. I kept all the documentation of the repair for if/when I decide to sell.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
Hello,
My car got hit by a piece of wood flying off a flatbed trailer.
Going to need a new hood, fender and light assembly.
NO other damage or structural damage.
Is there anyway to keep this from showing up on a CarFax?
It will be repaired like new, but if a potential buyer sees 'damage' on a CarFax I'm sure that will be a deal killer and also diminish the value.
What are the odds? It wasn't an 'accident' and it wasn't my fault. More like comprehensive.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Get diminished value from your insurance company.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:29 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It seems that Ins. cos. routinely report anything that is reported to them. Once you call and mention accident, you will be reported to Lexis-Nexis and thus to CarFax. Good luck in receiving a "diminished value" welcome from your ins. co. Best bet is to eat the cost if you want to stay off CarFax.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:26 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AS other have stated, yes it will show up and yes you need to document everything to the best of your ability.

I had a mouse chew a hole in the high pressure fuel line by the gas tank. $195 part and $3,800 in labor. Covered by auto insurance under the comprehensive part. Im fairly sure it will show up on a Carfax report. If I ever do decide to sell, Ill make sure to include a picture of the repair bill from Porsche in the ad.

Anyway its not the end of the world and your repairs will be dismissed by most reasonable buyers. My only other advice is to get it fixed at a Porsche Approved facility.

Quick Reply: Carfax and staying off it