Sponsored by:

Best tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Rflores
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tune

Hey guys trying to get the right tune for my 2005 997.1 porsche carrera.

MODS

Agency power exhaust
Agency Power Headers
Fabspeed Sport CATs
BMC Filter
GT3 compition TB with plenum.

looking for a good tune. I've been doing some research and noticed there isn't really a tune that's sets itself apart from the others. Do they all give the same power or based off your experience do you guys recommend a certain company.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:55 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 152 Posts

Hard to tell which id "best", in this forum its not about endless dyno runs like on the Camaro ZL1, Subaru and Audi Forums. I have the FVD tune used in two 911 cars and liked it. The key is do they really write new code or just piggy back on the existing code, and screw with the timing advance and rev limiter. I liked the FVD because of great customer service too, as I had a question and they called me from Germany and I spoke to the engineer directly. You can use the handheld programer to load in the new tune. There are threads in here that discuss tunes.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 PM
exgtinows4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Scott at softronics has been super great to work with - highly recommend
Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

check REVO, Evomsit
Old 09-21-2017, 01:21 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Not much can be gained on non-Turbo cars, don't mess with it.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Not much can be gained on non-Turbo cars, don't mess with it.
Looks like OP has already messed with it. From the mods listed seems s tune should have already been done.

I had an FVD tune on my 6GT3, and do recommend them as responsive.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,722 Likes on 4,275 Posts

I don't think the gains to be had from the mods listed will be huge - what has been done should improve throttle response and make the engine breath better, which should provide for a few more ponies, especially at higher RPMs, but I don't see anything on that list of mods that the car can't adjust for automatically. Fuel trims will adjust automatically based on the amount of air flowing by the MAF. If the engine is breathing better from the intake and less restrictive exhaust, then the car should automatically increase the fuel being delivered and that will result in more power, better acceleration, etc. If mods result in the stock injectors or other components not being able to adjust within their capabilities that's when you'll start getting CEL codes about left and right banks being too rich or too lean (too lean in this case), O2 sensors reading out of range, etc. If you're not currently getting codes like these, then the only thing the tune is going to do is modify Porsche's tried and true parameters to make you feel like you're getting something for your money, but those changes could also result in longer term damage to the motor. As one example, knocking at high load and/or high RPM which can result from the tune increasing timing which can result in pre-ignition, and the tune desensitizing the DME to the knock sensors designed to protect the motor and retard the timing when detonation is sensed. Or the tune increasing the redline or removing the rev limiter.

In my opinion, if you're not getting CEL codes, you're already safely getting what you can from the mods you have installed.

If you are going to go forward with a tune, stick to the reputable companies with Rhonda at FVD being one of the best, Fabspeed also being up there but seems like lately they're more hit and miss with their customer service - have lots of their parts, which I love and haven't had any issues with personally. Lately, I've not heard good things about Evoms and their responsiveness or support to problems with parts they've sold, especially on the Cayenne forum as it relates to their billet diverter valves that are guaranteed for life, but that no one seems to be able to get a response on when theirs actually fail. It's unfortunate as I recently purchased a pair of these for my Turbo S and we'll see what happens down the road if they fail.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 AM
DC911S
Drifting

If you do 200 cell high flow cats you really ought to get a tune. What what FVD told me is that they open up the sensor ranges to full scale in their tune so they can get more revs and power. If you do that you can advance the timing. Bad tunes advance the timing without opening the sensors up, then you get knocking or detonation. Then you could go boom.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
If you do 200 cell high flow cats you really ought to get a tune. What what FVD told me is that they open up the sensor ranges to full scale in their tune so they can get more revs and power. If you do that you can advance the timing. Bad tunes advance the timing without opening the sensors up, then you get knocking or detonation. Then you could go boom.

What does opening up the sensor ranges to full scale mean?

Mike
Old 09-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,722 Likes on 4,275 Posts

I'm not sure about this - opening up the sensor ranges just means that the DME allows lower and higher readings from the O2 sensors before throwing a CEL or making an adjustment to fuel trim to try and compensate for a reading that's "out of range". Since the reading that used to be out of range with the stock narrower parameters is now no longer out of range with the opened up range limits, all that does is prevent the DME from throwing the CEL. It would actually allow for timing to remain too far advanced and not allow the engine to protect itself since it doesn't see that there's a problem. You'd then be solely relying on the knock sensors to detect detonation and retard the timing.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM
DC911S
Drifting

You are opening the range of data values of the sensors as they read the A/F ratios and other sensor parameters.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

You are opening the range of data values of the sensors as they read the A/F ratios and other sensor parameters.

This vehicle comes from the factory with Bosch wideband o2 sensors. They can read from around 8:1 AFR to 18:1 AFR. More than enough range than we would ever need.

Not sure what this means either. The factory sensor is a wideband sensor. You dont "open a range of values" on it. Thats not how AFR calibrations work. Also your wideband o2 sensor is not reading "...the A/F ratios and other sensor parameters." It is a wideband o2 sensor that measures the oxygen content. It doesnt measure other "sensor parameters."

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'm not sure about this - opening up the sensor ranges just means that the DME allows lower and higher readings from the O2 sensors before throwing a CEL or making an adjustment to fuel trim to try and compensate for a reading that's "out of range". Since the reading that used to be out of range with the stock narrower parameters is now no longer out of range with the opened up range limits, all that does is prevent the DME from throwing the CEL. It would actually allow for timing to remain too far advanced and not allow the engine to protect itself since it doesn't see that there's a problem. You'd then be solely relying on the knock sensors to detect detonation and retard the timing.
I agree with you. It sounds like what you're discussing has to do with AFR targets and making modifications to the actual air/fuel table. This is making a change to the calibration tables for air fuel and its certainly possible a tuner would make modifications to this out of preference for a better curve that they like for making more power and not likely because our fuel trims cant make up for the small change in fuel requirements intake side and exhaust side bolt-ons would make. Modern fuel trims can make up for ALOT of deviation in fuel needs. Like the deviation from going from 0 feet elevation to 10k plus feet of elevation.

Most CEL that people would get from exhaust side bolt-ons would be from bolting on cats that are not efficient enough to avoid triggering the secondary (post cat) monitoring o2 sensor. That can be coded out easily.

Mike
Old 09-21-2017, 12:29 PM
nismosd
Instructor

+1 on Softronic...Easy to load and can be reverted to stock just as quickly, noticeable performance improvement but I haven't tried any other brand to give a comparison. Scott was very easy to deal with.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Rflores
Instructor

Thanks guys for the replys. I haven't installed the TB Im going to wait to see what tune I get. The car sounds and feels great with everything I have installed. After the tune engine mods will be done. I know I'm not going to be fast but I still like the sound and difference the car puts out from stock vs Mods.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Rflores
Instructor

Anybody have any reviews on the VR Tune?

Quick Reply: Best tune